2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
... it is nowadays not a good idea to choose an expensive digital piano because of its onboard sound. Softwarepianos have MUCH better sound.
I wish they'd put all of the "software piano" guts into single console DP and be done with it. A sort of V Piano, but console style. All in one unit, no outboard computers and screens and software and cables and muss and fuss. Just a piano, with the right goodies inside. (Okay, add a network port so you can "flash" in a software update once in blue moon.)

Yes. If I had the space and the time then I would get a beautiful old acoustic piano that cannot be tuned anymore but is fine otherwise and I would fill it with speakers,amplifiers, a computer and MIDI hardware with sensors ;-)

Peter

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cashley
I'm now in another country, and it looks like I'm going to be here for quite some time. I plan to immerse myself in DPs and software pianos, and hopefully 'spread the culture' to the people around me, including music schools here, which are pretty antiquated.

I need something that can be carried around when I go around to 'spread the culture', but when I'm back in my room I want it to sit nicely on a console.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1340415

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
The reporter's intention is noble, unlike mine blush

I still need to earn a living. BTW, thanks for the pm.

Last edited by Cashley; 01/29/10 10:53 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cashley
The reporter's intention is noble, unlike mine blush

I still need to earn a living. BTW, thanks for the pm.

Don't sell yourself short Cashley. Reporters have to make a living, and musicians seeking grant funding are trying to do the same thing. Making a living is far more noble than the alternatives.

On that soundcard question, chances are that the soundcard a new laptop is equipped won't be sufficient for what you want to do with it. You would most likely be looking at upgrading through an external audio interface or a replacement soundcard, the latter being more portable of course. This is tricky for several reasons. One is the compatibility of the operating system with the card. For example, if your new laptop is running Windows 7, you'd want to be sure that the card has drivers for Windows 7. Since you're thinking about throwing a software piano into the chain, you'd have to check out compatability in that linkage too. Problems can range from latency (delayed sound response) to crash and burn, so IOW you need to be careful.

Another problem is checking out the thing before you buy it. It's just about impossible, so you wind up reading reviews, listening to other folks' preferences, possibly borrowing something from a fellow musician to try out, and then taking a leap of faith.

Some of these interfaces are designed with electric guitar foremost in mind, so if you read reviews, try to find ones from keyboard players. I'll throw one name out for consideration. Then others can tear it down and tell you about something better. grin E-MU's 0404 works well for keyboard sounds and doesn't fry as quickly as most. I think it's street price is around $200, possibly a little less.

On the Garritan Steinway question, one member here who has a library of software pianos is FogVilleLad. I'm not quite sure that library includes Garritan Steinway, but it might. If he doesn't pop up again on this thread, I would advise sending him a PM. His knowledge and experience with setting up the whole chain is far greater than mine, and his whole approach to this stuff is to be helpful.

C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Frankly, I don't know where to start, especially after having been warned about issues of compatibility. The advantage I have at the moment is I haven't bought any. So if I can get some pointers on how to build the system from scratch, it'll be ideal. Unfortunately, nobody around me knows about software piano.

I'd like to start with a DP that has a good pair of speakers and touch. From there, I'd have to pick my software first, and then to consider a laptop that will be able to run the software. I hope I've got my sequence correct.

Last edited by Cashley; 01/29/10 12:01 PM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

(1) I need to purchase a DP that can connect well with software piano. I'm going to give Yamaha a miss, because there are many Yamaha shops around. I need something that can be carried around when I go around to 'spread the culture', but when I'm back in my room I want it to sit nicely on a console.

Buy anything with "real MIDI" not a USB port. OK USB is fine if it also has the real ports, they are two round DIN plugs. These will be "universally compatable" then buy a $35 USB/MIDI adaper cable. Get one with LEDS in it so you ca see the data moving.

(2) I think I would need a new laptop. I'm running on a 10-inch Samsung, which is too small to be of any use as far as software piano is concerned. What do I have to look out for ? Much has been said about sound card and speakers. But most laptops would have 'built-in' sound card and speakers. Do I need to purchase a separate sound card and speakers ? I'd really like to plug my output back into my DP, which means I need a DP with a good pair of speakers.

The ONLY reason not to get the Macbook Pro is because you can't afford one. It will pretty much do what you want out of the box has the software preinstalled for music notation and even has some grand piano samples. Latency issues are worked out for you at the factory.

You need a notebook with decent quality audio output. not with good speakers. You will likely disable the notebook speakers. Make sure the notebook has "line out" and not just "headphone out". You will plug the notebook's line-out to the DP's line-in.

If you buy some other notebook be sure and check the fan noise -- while running the software you will be using. The lastthing you need is a "jet airplane-like" noise on top of the DP while you are playing

(3) Has anyone tried Garritan Steinway Software ?

Some people like it. You will likely need to try several before you settle on one. I'm recently liking what I hear from sampletekk Prices are very good too. But start out Apple's basic setup. It works. Then make small upgrades one step at a time from that base.

A
A
Actually, Steinway has a quite impersonal sound, very clean but boring.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andree
Actually, Steinway has a quite impersonal sound, very clean but boring.

Depends on the player...when I play, my Steinway (when freshly tuned) sounds both very clean and inspiring. grin

Your mileage may, and most likely, will vary. wink

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Cashley,

Send that PM to FogVilleLad and/or send one to Dave Ferris. There are others of course, but in this particular thread I wouldn't bet on any of them coming forward. FVL and Dave are two that come to mind as members who know how to implement piano software and understand that a Steinway is a formidable piano to sample.

Here's a fun demonstration thread that faces off most of the software pianos except for recent updated versions. It comes from a time when the music mattered a bit more around here and preening and posing were not so much a hindrance. If you don't find Garritan Steinway included in the comparison, just click on propianist's avatar on any of his posts there, scroll down to 'view posts', and click again to survey pro's other post topics. He has written about Garritan Steinway here in different places. He is also very approachable via PM. The thing is, I'm just not sure if he reads here anymore. It you want to swap notes with me, just send me a PM.

Here's the link to propianist's piano software comparison.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/671166/1.html

Hey feeble!

Good place to draw the line.

Susanmusic,

Go for it. Clean it up and use it as your own thread material. I didn't include the "spendy trendy" because that user group is more prevalent among acoustic buffs. Whatever you want to take, it's all yours. I'm going through those doors to the left that one of the dwarfs mentioned because I've got something to work on for a while. If you start a thread, you can list me in the very tolerant group. I enjoy getting whatever I can out of a limited instrument because, unremarkably enough, I'm the same way myself, as are most of us.

As to the recent self-congratulatory post about one's own inspirational play on a freshly-tuned Steinway and the putdown part about how the results would probably be quite different in the hands of someone else, (bold for emphasis)....

all I can say is this.

How low and how off-topic will a 'needy' person stoop to give himself yet another meaningless pat on the back?

Outside of the other Dwarfs, there comes a point where anyone has to begin to wonder about the line of demarcation between fantasy and reality.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by turandot

How low and how off-topic will a 'needy' person stoop to give himself yet another meaningless pat on the back?

I don't know son, according to what the members tell me, and yourself, you seem to be the expert in that department...and obviously, it's your only dubious claim to fame, other than how you seem to pop up like a clown with a spinning bow-tie and try desperately, to be clever.

Keep tryin' son, I'm rootin' for ya. grin

We are much alike, except you're a tad needier than me, and not as smart, but all in all, I still think you're a wonderful person,

Snazzy

PS...you are a persistent little fella...I admire that in a person.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by turandot
Outside of the other Dwarfs

I think I've discovered the secret to getting the keys to the exclusive 5000 Post Club door in record time:

1. [censored] everyone off (& optionally steal underpants)
2. ???
3. profit

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster

[censored] everyone off (& optionally steal underpants)

I like the stealing underpants reference...probably more of a fetish than a ploy. wink

Snazzy

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Cashley,

You've already received most of the info that you need. Basically you need a "controller" - that's the 'board - a software piano installed on your computer, cables to connect them, and a stand.

I really only know PC's. If you go PC, you'll also need an ASIO driver. ASIO4ALL is free and downloadable.

After that, it's a matter of what level of quality you're seeking and how the ensemble will be used. For better tone quality, you'll want an external soundcard. E-mu's 1616M series will provide outstanding sonic bang for buck. (I use the older, internal 1212M. There are two 1616M's. I don't know the differences.) There's an active forum here.

The E-mu cards also have MIDI and audio connections - and an ASIO driver. Those are all good things.

CAUTION: According to the site, those cards are not yet Windows 7 compatible. The forum gets factory participation.

Quiklock's WS-550 might not go up and down as quickly as others do, but looks like it would hold up well.

If you'll be exposing groups to this technology, the 'board's speakers may or may not be acceptable. I use headphones, and can't help with speakers.

There is controversy re the Garritan Steinway. That piano has been criticized for having too much ambient hiss. Some of the criticism comes from people who do music production. Those folks have keen ears. For playing at home or for demonstration purposes, it's probably fine. I like the voicing which Steinway's tech did on the bass hammers, which unvoiced can be a little fuzzy on New York Steinways. Demos here.

Please try to audition the Best Service Galaxy II piano suite: Hamburg Steinway and Bosendorfer concert grands and a wonderfully tired sounding Bluthner baby grand which propianist described as something that you might come across in a second hand shop. Galaxy II's pianos are highly tweakable. Your prospective audience might like learning that they can change pianos, to get a completely different tone and also that they can tweak those pianos, to alter their tones. (The Bosendorfer is my daily player.)

Demos are here. There should be a playable download available here.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
This has certainly been an interesting thread. I just wanted to thrown in another possibility for a keyboard that may fit the OP's inquiry. The Yamaha Motif XS can record and play samples if you add the optional memory (which is standard, though older design, DRAM that is not very expensive). You can add up to 1GB. Then, at motifator.com, you can purchase a number of different sample libraries that you can load and play. Among these are a number of very nice pianos including sampled Steinway models. They do sound decent, but not being primarily a piano player, I would not want to make outrageous claims as to their ability to replace a "real" instrument. Also, the Motif XS8 (the 88 key version with weighted hammer action) is not a "graded hammer action" in the sense that all keys exhibit the same amount of resistance, rather than the lower notes offering more resistance as apparently the dedicated digital piano models do. But instead, you get decent sounding pianos and a reasonably complete keyboard workstation.

Not owning a Roland G8 (their flagship 88 key keyboard workstation), I have not checked to see if there are similar sample libraries available for it. If so, then that might be another possibility worth checking out. Some people prefer the G8, and others prefer the Motif XS. I have read and heard good things (and complaints) about both. I own the Motif XS8, but it is good to have choices like these.

TonyB

Roland V-Grand
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
[quote=FogVilleLad]Cashley,

You've already received most of the info that you need. Basically you need a "controller" - that's the 'board - a software piano installed on your computer, cables to connect them, and a stand.

I really only know PC's. If you go PC, you'll also need an ASIO driver. ASIO4ALL is free and downloadable.

Here is some good advice abut setting up a PC. The author admits to being biased to PCs over Macs but then he does say "If you buy a mac you can skip the next three chapters" Those chapters deal with reducing latency, noise from cooling fans and how to prevent any number of other problems. This is called an e-book but it is not realy a book length, it reads fast andyou can skip the sections on studio recording if you will not be doing that. The best part is those three chapters on selecting and setting up a PC.
PC Setup

J
J
Snazzy, I hear that you sold your N3. I just went to the Yamaha dealer today to replay the N3. I must admit that it plays really, really well. It was very hard to tell how it sounds in a large showroom (100 ft x 100 ft with 15 ft ceiling) My living room is slightly smaller. Is there a reason that you would or would not advise someone to purchase this piano? I have no interest in recording, composing etc, I just want to play a piano and practice using headphones. One again, thanks everyone for your advice!! Cheers!!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jameskey
I just want to play a piano and practice using headphones. One again, thanks everyone for your advice!! Cheers!!

Seems a waste to pay a very high premium for a huge set of speakers and amps and a four channel sample set and then only listen in headphones

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Cashley, Chris A's post, above, is alerting to the fact that recording introduces another level of complication. You can do it, it's just one more aspect to think thru.

If you record peoples playing, you can burn it to CD. Are computers or CD players affordable where you'll be working/teaching?

J
J
Originally Posted by ChrisA
I just want to play a piano and practice using headphones. One again, thanks everyone for your advice!! Cheers!!

Seems a waste to pay a very high premium for a huge set of speakers and amps and a four channel sample set and then only listen in headphones

I would only practice with the headphones so I don't drive my wife crazy. But you raise a very good point, why can't they make a DP with a really good sound system? You can buy an unreal surround sound for your TV for 1-2K. Why don't they stick the V-Piano in a Grand Piano case with good amps and speakers? Have fun!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
But you raise a very good point, why can't they make a DP with a really good sound system? You can buy an unreal surround sound for your TV for 1-2K. Why don't they stick the V-Piano in a Grand Piano case with good amps and speakers?

If you want to DIY, really decent woofers and tweeters are ~$30 each, crossover components maybe $10 for each driver. Would blow away anything you can buy for ~10x as much. Add a $100 10" powered sub (Dayton) and you're in like Flynn.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission