2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
What is a N3 ? confused

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
An N3, is a Yamaha Avant Grand digital piano.

Here t'is:

http://www.avant-grand.com/

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
A Roland RD700GX's Expressive Grand patch is based in a Steinway and does a reasonably good impersonation of one.

Really? My experience comparing Rolands, including the RD-700GX's Expressive Grand, to my well maintained Steinway, leaves me wondering what the heck Roland has based the sound on...it certainly sounds nothing like my piano.

The sound is more likely a composite of several pianos.

Snazzy

Shows you how often I play a Steinway (not for years) but I do quite like the Expressive Grand in the RD700GX ... its certainly a more European sounding patch then any Yamaha one.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, it is a bit strong, but other than the waste of good wood, wire and felt, I see no positive use for upright pianos.

I'd choose an upright over a grand for a lot of popular music, Blues, Ragtime, Rock 'n Roll lots of older Jazz. Grands just sound too sophisticated for many genres, like an opera singer covering a Rolling Stones song - shudder!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
How did Roland which is a Japanese product acquire a non-Japanese name ?

And where are Korg and Kurzweil made ?

Correct me if I'm wrong. It does appear that Japanese are the leaders in DP technology.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Kurzweil was originally American I believe but is now owned by Hyundai (Korean), Korg is Japanese and I presume Roland chose a western name for marketing reasons.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it;

"Origin of the Roland name

Roland was founded after Kakehashi cut ties with Ace Electronic Industries (a company he founded in 1960) and Hammond International. As with many Japanese startups of the period, the name Roland was selected for export purposes as Kakehashi was interested in a name that was easy to pronounce for his worldwide target markets. Legend has long circulated that he named his company after the French epic poem La Chanson de Roland. In actuality, the name Roland was found in a telephone directory. Kakehashi opted for it as he was satisfied with the simple two-syllable word and its soft consonants."

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
V-Piano supposedly models a Steinway and a Bosendorfer, but it doesn't sound like either of those instruments. The V-Piano sounds like, well a Roland piano. (My engineer says that the problem with Roland pianos is that they all sound like Roland pianos).

I don't believe an authentic Steinway sound exists on a DP. You would have to use a sample library.

A
A
A Roland RD700GX's Expressive Grand patch is based in a Steinway and does a reasonably good impersonation of one.

Really? My experience comparing Rolands, including the RD-700GX's Expressive Grand, to my well maintained Steinway, leaves me wondering what the heck Roland has based the sound on...it certainly sounds nothing like my piano.

The sound is more likely a composite of several pianos.

Snazzy

The Expressive Grand in the RD700GX is sampled from a Yamaha CFIII, I thought you would like to know that.

Last edited by Andree; 01/24/10 07:40 AM.
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
but other than the waste of good wood, wire and felt, I see no positive use for upright pianos.

You forgot to mention - creating work for piano tuners.

S
S
Originally Posted by turandot

"Why does a digital piano have to sound like a real one?"

Substitute 'acoustic' for 'real' and I'm with you on that. Both are real pianos.

Yeah, that's better.

C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
V-Piano supposedly models a Steinway and a Bosendorfer, but it doesn't sound like either of those instruments. The V-Piano sounds like, well a Roland piano. (My engineer says that the problem with Roland pianos is that they all sound like Roland pianos).

I don't believe an authentic Steinway sound exists on a DP. You would have to use a sample library.

What is a V-Piano ? A particular Roland model ?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Andree

The Expressive Grand in the RD700GX is sampled from a Yamaha CFIII, I thought you would like to know that.

I don't know where you got that information from Its a Hamburg Steinway C according to my sources.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The demos of the Garritan VST are nice but still not as good as I had expected.
I might get it someday and hook up my digital to my PC.

I'm getting tired of the plastic sound of my Roland HP-201.
If you also get tired of the sound of your digital while practicing, here's a simple tip: transpose the keyboard one or two semitones up or down every now and then. laugh It really helps for the music to stay 'fresh' to your ears.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Cashley

Is there a website that offers a systematic education on VST ?

Wikipedia
Steinberg User's Forum has tutorials
A bit of humor with your midi.
Another one I like.
And a wealth of info from a member of the forum.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Shows you how often I play a Steinway (not for years) but I do quite like the Expressive Grand in the RD700GX ... its certainly a more European sounding patch then any Yamaha one.

If by "European sound", you mean thin mids, then, yes, Roland has it nailed firmly to the mast of the good ship Wimpy. wink

"Expressive Grand"...ha...never was there a piano patch so inaccurately named. wink

It's not that I don't like Roland...I just don't think they should be making digital pianos...I like their synthesizers (I have a JX-10) and their earlier digital piano actions were very good (the SK-6 especially), but since then they have been trying to keep up with Yamaha, and still tagging along behind.

I firmly believe their acoustic piano sounds are a composite of several pianos. I do know, from personal experience, they don't sound like a Steinway, or a Yamaha.

Snazzy

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Cashley

What is a V-Piano ? A particular Roland model ?

http://www.roland.com/V-Piano/

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I do know, from personal experience, they don't sound like a Steinway, or a Yamaha.

Or Bosendorfer.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Digital pianos have already "knocked out" uprights...only acoustics selling well now, are the grands.
Snazzy

Snazzy,
Grands may be the only acoustics selling well in your location (I note from your profile that's it's 'earth'), but I can assure you that uprights are selling very well in many places elsewhere!
My local dealer sells more uprights than digital and grands put together. And I believe in Asia that uprights outsell grands, although this trend may be changing.

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

Snazzy,
Grands may be the only acoustics selling well in your location (I note from your profile that's it's 'earth'), but I can assure you that uprights are selling very well in many places elsewhere!
My local dealer sells more uprights than digital and grands put together. And I believe in Asia that uprights outsell grands, although this trend may be changing.

That may be true, Mr.Tweedy, but for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would waste good money on an upright piano.

Their bass strings aren't a whole lot better/longer than my old Yamaha CP-80, and it's many times I have compared a decent digital's low notes with an upright's, and my gast had never been so flabbered at how the former had more clank and bottom, not to mention, even better tonality and presence.

Perhaps it is also to the digital piano's advantage, that it is sampled from a grand piano, and also that there just doesn't seem to be any actual advancements in the design and construction of uprights...they are a waste of good wood, wire and felt in my opinion.

Like their more snooty and sophisticated brethren, the grands, they still require maintenance and/or tuning, which in most cases, requires the not so inexpensive services of a tuner/technician, and the disheartening feeling of not only listening to the wretched instrument go out of tune, but to bear the inconvenience of trying to contact the slowly disappearing species known as piano tunerus expensivo, known better by it's common name, the piano tuner.

That's why it is most heartening to see Piano World express such wonderful open-mindedness and create a forum dedicated to those of us who prefer digital pianos over their dinosaurial acoustic counterparts.

Snazzy

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission