2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlphaTerminus, anotherscott, bilb, CaseyVancouver, AaronSF, brdwyguy, BlakeOR, 16 invisible), 1,045 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1355211 01/22/10 01:27 AM
Kymber Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,
Hope all is well.
It seems like an eternity since I've been on the PW forum. I've been playing a little bit here and there. My teacher had a baby and stopped giving lessons. So I am on my own again. I am currently taking singing lessons but I think I have enough knowedge in piano and music theory to keep myself busy until I find a new teacher. Until then I thought it would be a good idea to return to the support and encouragement here at PW.
smile
Kymber

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Kymber #1355222 01/22/10 01:51 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Nice to see you again, Kymber. Voice lessons, aye. If I tried those, the piano would run away. smile

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Kymber #1355438 01/22/10 11:14 AM

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome back Kymber...it has been a long time.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good to see you again, Kymber. smile

Monica K. #1355627 01/22/10 03:56 PM
E
E
Hi and welcome back! I too am returning after a long time away from PW. smile What do you enjoy singing?

Elaine

elainelynn #1356068 01/23/10 06:47 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome back Kymber!

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome back Kymber! I'm not sure if we know eachother so allow me to introduce myself, I'm AnotherSchmoe and I also just returned a few days ago after a year-long hiatus. Methinks we both need to stop disappearing! whome

Kymber Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
well AnotherSchmoe I think you are right. I disappeared again for a while but now I am back....again. It's nice to know PW will always be here. Like a good friend.

― Bruce Lee
Kymber #1486759 08/02/10 04:56 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Welcome back! How are you enjoying the singing lessons? I'm jealous, I'd LOVE to voice lessons too - but everytime I think about it, I can't figure out how I'd squeeze in more practice time, on top of piano - just not enough hours in the day!

saerra #1487343 08/03/10 02:09 PM
Kymber Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Saerra,
I just had my last lesson (for now) last week. I decided to take a short break from them.

There were times I really enjoyed my lessons and there were times I really felt inadequate. I definitely made some improvements but I still don't think I would sing in front of anyone-lol.

I think I have to get over a lot of issues in my head. I get really shy about practicing (bc OMG! someone might hear me). So I have to get over that. It's not like practicing piano where I can put headphones on if I need to. And I feel like there is a lot of trust involved. Like I open my mouth and trust I will be on key-ha ha ha. I definitely feel more comfortable at the piano but the perfectionist in me will not let me give up on singing either.

If you can manage to find time in your schedule I would highly recommend it. It really is a great feeling to sing.

― Bruce Lee
Kymber #1487536 08/03/10 06:29 PM

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Kymber! I remember you from when I first joined. I've disappeared and re-appeared a couple of times since then. Sometimes I wander off and play tin whistle for a while -- that's about as close to singing as I should get, I'm afraid. Dire singing voices run in my father's family, and that gene bred true in me as well.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Kymber #1487629 08/03/10 08:40 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Kymber!

Aww, what a shame that you're not going to keep up with the singing too! I actually did take lessons for a very short period of time (~4-5 months) years ago, when I was in school... and LOVED it. I ended up stopping when I was trying to finish up grad school, and couldn't really handle one more thing... (plus I had moved from the dorms to an apartment, and had the same issue - worrying about people hearing me.)

What amazed me (and why I wish I could do it again) was how much FUN it was, and how much I loved it, even though I was terrible! I haven't found too many things like that, that are fun even when you're rotten!

Are you in a house? Do you have a room you can just lock yourself in for singing practice? When I was in the dorm - I told my roommates (shared apartment style, I had my own room) that I would be doing singing practice for one hour a day, it would be afternoon and before 8pm, and it would sound awful - so sorry - but it was just 1 hour wink Luckily they put up with it, without comment!

re: trusting that you will open your mouth and it will come out on key - hahahah - I know. You know what though, I feel the same anxiety over piano! Not that the key isn't going to work, but that I'm going to actually be able to get through the piece, get the right notes, keep the tempo somewhat stable, and not just forget everything! It's one of the things that scares me off from recitals - I can just see myself sitting down to play, looking at the piano, and suddenly thinking - "oh no! I can't remember the music at all!" :P

I guess it's all a journey wink

Glad to see you back!

saerra #1487631 08/03/10 08:42 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
PS Kymber - have you looked for any singing groups near you?

I'm thinking of trying to find one, as I've read about them in this area. Not choirs - but groups of people that just get together to sing for fun.

Doesn't that sound awesome!

Here's the article from our local paper: Group Sing-Alongs!

Last edited by saerra; 08/03/10 08:43 PM. Reason: formatting
saerra #1487923 08/04/10 10:20 AM
Kymber Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
hi Saerra,
Well I think you talked me back into it. I will be taking a short time off (just a couple of weeks). And I think I will try a different teacher this time.

I work for a university I can use the practice rooms at the music school. They are all equipped with Steinway grand pianos. I've been there a few times and is feel very fortunate to have access to the practice rooms. Even tho they have the foamy eggshell things on the walls it is definitely not sound proof. It is almost more intimidating there because there is not background noise. Like at home if I have the AC or TV on I know people can't hear me. But I guess I will just have to get over that won't I.

I think sometimes music reveals some of the personal challenges we have to overcome and I guess my fear of being heard is one of them-lol.

Thanks so much for the support! And I will check out that article. My teacher did suggest I join a choir and I think it is a good idea to do something but the choirs near me meet on days that I already have commitments. But I'm sure I will find something.

Thanks again!

― Bruce Lee
Kymber #1488588 08/05/10 10:16 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
smile Yay - I'm glad you're going back. I think finding a teacher that you really connect with is key - especially because it IS such a vulnerable, and personal thing!

I'm jealous that you have access to the practice rooms and Steinways! How neat! Does it help to realize that probably the other people nearby are not listening to you, but so focused on their own music they don't even notice anything else? wink

I agree about music revealing our personal challenges. It also gives us the chance to grow smile in unexpected ways sometimes. smile It's good stuff!

And - I found the next local "singing party" that opens to the public near me! I put it on my calendar (not til the end of the month) and am going! I'm excited - a little nervous about meetings hoardes of strangers, but I think it will be fun - I love singing, and hope the group is big enough that no one will notice if I'm not exactly on key wink wink wink

Have fun!

saerra #1488781 08/05/10 03:20 PM
Kymber Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Saerra,

That's great you found a singing party. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

You are absolutely right. The people in the other rooms playing a mean Chopin are definitely NOT listening to me. Thanks for the reality check!

Btw... are there any universities in your area. Maybe you can see if you can use their practice rooms.

― Bruce Lee
Kymber #1489015 08/05/10 08:50 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
smile I'll let you know.

There are a couple universities - not sure though if they have practice rooms, and whether or not they let in random strangers (*sniffle*).

Aren't you ever tempted to just sit in there and listen to everyone else? wink Not to bring back the nervousness, but once or twice I've gotten to my lesson early to find that the previous student was a no-show, and my teacher is practicing. Lots of fun to just sit and listen for a bit - it's like getting a free concert wink

(...and when he's trying to learn something new and talking to himself as he works through difficult parts - I don't feel so crazy wink!)

saerra #1489637 08/06/10 04:02 PM
Kymber Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Saerra,

yes I love hearing other people playing as I walk along the halls of the practice rooms and at the music school where I was taking my singing lessons.

I just love the whole vibe!

In fact one day I just sat and listened to the person in the room next to me for a while. It was really cool.

― Bruce Lee
Kymber #1489832 08/06/10 08:55 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
smile Fun! I would do the same thing! Ah well, enjoy your practicing, and I'll let you know how the "singing party" goes later this month...

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,655
Posts3,106,285
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission