2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
[quote]
Go ahead and moderate me.

Is that your Robert Conrad in a Duracell commercial impression? laugh

No, David I'm not moderating anybody. Maybe never will again.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I miss the days we used to talk about piano things.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by wr

What, may I ask, does how long one has been here have to do with one's ability to understand the situation?

Everything.

Nothing.

Many people here are questioning things because we have been here long enough to understand some of the group dynamics and know some history of people's interactions here, along with the mods interactions with us, and the application of the "rules", such as they are. All of which go to explain what it is that you as a newbie are having difficulty understanding. It should be at least obvious that the situation is not just simply about a person getting banned because they insulted a mod.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
[quote=Piano*Dad]

Is that your Robert Conrad in a Duracell commercial impression? laugh

No, David I'm not moderating anybody. Maybe never will again.

Ken

LOL, that was funny. laugh
I fully realize, as was pointed out to me just a short time ago, that I've not been here very long (and, apparently, this has some bearing on my comprehension abilities, not to mention my reading abilities), but, I think, PianoDad, that you might want to keep in mind that Ken, here, didn't bring the subject up to begin with. He, and the other moderators, have only joined the conversation at times to provide further input, and, since some have asked, they've tried to clarify some things. I haven't seen anything, that would qualify as "dumping" on anyone, at all.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Debussy20
I miss the days we used to talk about piano things.

Somebody is forcing you to read this? And not the other threads that are about piano things?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
While this thread has been compelling reading, I feel that further contributions to it will only be destructive. I would urge everyone to desist.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry, Ken, but it is selective remembering. You're across the line. I'm not a moderator, but you've crossed an important and rather obvious threshold.

The moderators must take a higher track. Yes, others can say stupid things, but when you respond you must be aware of your disproportionate power. You have more information. That means any selective tidbits you give are perceived as agenda driven.

I may have to reconsider my own participation at this forum if you continue to do this. I find it unconscionable. You should know better.

The man is banned. You are dumping on him. Stop it.

I don't give a crap if you are a moderator, you are over the line.

Umm... Ken didn't start this thread did he Piano Dad? Ken doesn't have the power of Megatron here. I for one wouldn't do his job if you offered me $1000 a week. Why? Because he has to deal with adults who regress when confronted with their own B.S.

We're not talking about getting kicked out of the Bar association here. We're talking about being banned from a forum where someone crossed the line. Give the dude a break. 2hearts

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Heh...Mary-Rose demands proof of warnings, Ken provides proof and promptly gets his hand slapped for slandering a member who can no longer defend himself.

This is why the process is not transparent. Transparency creates as many problems as it solves.

This is also why I keep my mouth shut and speak in generalities (and why it's common to all people in administrative positions.) Every time you make things specific, all it really does is give your enemies a more clearly defined target to shoot at.

And seriously...FOUR PAGES of posts occurred during my drive home from Mizzou today.

When I posted last night, I hope people would take the hint, but I'll spell it out:

WE KNOW THERE'S PROBLEMS.

WE WORKING ON IT.

IT'S GONNA TAKE A WHILE.

so in the meantime...

*GO PRACTICE!!!*

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Online Content
Kreisler,

Please reread the OP. Mary Rose did not ask the moderators for anything. Please don't use that as a way to dismiss my critique of Ken's unbecoming behavior. I have asked MR to be more circumspect. I think I have some street cred about this. Thus I would appreciate not being patronized. It's bad enough when know-nothings read my posts and then confuse who started things with how a moderator should behave.

Last edited by Piano*Dad; 01/17/10 09:18 PM. Reason: dang typos! :-)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What's a no-nothing? Just curious. confused

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What's a no-nothing? Just curious. confused

I think he meant 'know-nothing'.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Online Content
Indeed. Anger can make even the erudite careless.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

What, may I ask, does how long one has been here have to do with one's ability to understand the situation?

Everything.

Nothing.

Many people here are questioning things because we have been here long enough to understand some of the group dynamics and know some history of people's interactions here, along with the mods interactions with us, and the application of the "rules", such as they are. All of which go to explain what it is that you as a newbie are having difficulty understanding. It should be at least obvious that the situation is not just simply about a person getting banned because they insulted a mod.

Well, according to the moderators, that's not the case. He was warned more than once and then dropped a nice little f bomb on one of them. There's nothing to read between the lines really, though everyone is trying their darndest TO read between them. I'm sorry, but, there's nothing here that "newness" hides from sight.

♪ ≠ $

.....I think I have some street cred about this.....

You do (and please don't think of leaving).
From what I saw on a prior example, if anything you would tend to feel we shouldn't make an issue of something to the staff.

IMO the moderators have been either disingenuous or at bit blind here. Mary Rose was mainly just pointing out that something false had been said. Ken upped the ante by saying something about her "motives," and then we were off and running.

All that would have been needed would have been a simple acknowledgment and (preferably also) apology, rather than aggressiveness and clouding that narrow issue by reiterating all this other stuff.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
David,

If I offended your sense of right and wrong I am truly sorry.

People want answers. I gave them to the best of my abilities. Maybe they are not what people want, but they are the truth.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

If it seems unbecoming to you I am sorry - that was not the intent.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think the thing that has concerned me the most is when Steven's defenders have referred to moderators as Nazis, members of the Stasi, and talked about people in "jack boots".

In the actual world, there are people who were real victims of repressive political regimes and security agencies that caused the death of many many innocent people and great suffering to their families.

Let's get a grip people. I just played my piano for an hour and it was fun. I mean no disrespect to those who feel deeply about all this, but let's try to get some perspective. To compare the experience of an internet poster to the real life suffering of true victims of injustice dishonors their memory and trivializes real suffering.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Obi Wan Kenobi says...

[Linked Image]

If you ban me, I will become more powerful than
you can possibly imagine.

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... There's nothing to read between the lines really, though everyone is trying their darndest TO read between them. I'm sorry, but, there's nothing here that "newness" hides from sight.

I don't understand their logic either. Maybe I have not been here long enough. laugh

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's really an excellent point, Larry. I've noticed some of the same terminology being thrown around (conspiracy theorists unite!) and thought they'd gone just a BIT overboard.

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pno
... There's nothing to read between the lines really, though everyone is trying their darndest TO read between them. I'm sorry, but, there's nothing here that "newness" hides from sight.

I don't understand their logic either. Maybe I have not been here long enough. laugh

pno, if you've been here long enough to read about what happened (occurence, determination, outcome), then you've been here long enough. It's been spelled out fairly well and more than once.

♪ ≠ $

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission