2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
...I do not think our moderators are turning a blind eye to holocaust denial....

Sadly, I have personal proof that this has happened, Piano*Dad. At the time I gave forum management the benefit of the doubt, but now that I can compare it with the situation of Sotto Voce of which I know every detail, I realise that their sense of justice is horribly skewed, if it exists at all.

Last edited by Mary-Rose; 01/10/10 08:49 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, not long if you keep this up.

Look, I generally agree with your POV here, but I'm not comfortable with how far you are pushing it. I do not think our moderators are turning a blind eye to holocaust denial or homophobia. Yes, they have allowed some things to stand too long, but to me that suggests their basic tendency toward moderation in moderating and patience in waiting things out.

They have zapped specific homophobic posts, for instance, (coming from our word-wrap challenged friend as one example), but they have not tended to ban anyone on the basis of these zapped posts. Reasonable people can disagree about whether a single zapped post (or two or three) merits a lifetime ban. In general, the moderating team here has tried to avoid that sort of precipitous action. I'm not sure I would have been so reticent, in their shoes. But that's how they have called it. They have taken action against this sort of behavior, but they seem to bend over backward to avoid being put in that situation. And they have talked to people when hot heads overreact.

I too think that some accommodation should be reached that allows Steven to come back. Perhaps that will happen over time. Those of us who think this should happen have made our will clear. Now we need to calm down a bit and take stock. Continued verbal challenges may not be the best approach.

This is very well-reasoned and -stated. What a lot of us want is to return to good, thoughtful discussions of music, with Steven's reinstatement. This cause is not helped by ratcheting up the language (e.g. "Stasi"). I disagree with the moderators' decision, and strongly disagree with their closing down these threads, but let's acknowledge that they're good people trying to do the right thing in a complicated situation. We should certainly continue to apply pressure and make our desires felt. But not in escalating language. It just doesn't *work*.

-Jason

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mary-Rose
.....I wonder how long this thread will last before the Stasi step in with their jackboots?

Look, I generally agree with your POV here, but I'm not comfortable with how far you are pushing it. I do not think our moderators are turning a blind eye to holocaust denial or homophobia. Yes, they have allowed some things to stand too long, but to me that suggests their basic tendency toward moderation in moderating and patience in waiting things out....

FWIW, +1

....I too think that some accommodation should be reached that allows Steven to come back....Those of us who think this should happen have made our will clear. Now we need to calm down a bit and take stock. Continued verbal challenges may not be the best approach.

Ditto

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Two threads in support of Sotto Voce have been closed by heavy-handed forum management. They allow Holocaust denial to be advertised on the forum without demur, but when it comes to a respected an openly gay poster using a naughty word backchannel - zap! It's a good excuse to get rid of him.

I wonder how long this thread will last before the Stasi step in with their jackboots?

Look, I generally agree with your POV here, but I'm not comfortable with how far you are pushing it. I do not think our moderators are turning a blind eye to holocaust denial or homophobia. Yes, they have allowed some things to stand too long, but to me that suggests their basic tendency toward moderation in moderating and patience in waiting things out.

They have zapped specific homophobic posts, for instance, (coming from our word-wrap challenged friend as one example), but they have not tended to ban anyone on the basis of these zapped posts. Reasonable people can disagree about whether a single zapped post (or two or three) merits a lifetime ban. In general, the moderating team here has tried to avoid that sort of precipitous action. I'm not sure I would have been so reticent, in their shoes. But that's how they have called it. They have taken action against this sort of behavior, but they seem to bend over backward to avoid being put in that situation. And they have talked to people when hot heads overreact.

I too think that some accommodation should be reached that allows Steven to come back. Perhaps that will happen over time. Those of us who think this should happen have made our will clear. Now we need to calm down a bit and take stock. Continued verbal challenges may not be the best approach.

I agree with Piano*Dad. Let's be sure that we ourselves don't slip to the level of the posters that do annoy us. Of course, I am not talking about Steven here!

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Let's be sure that we ourselves don't slip to the level of the posters that do annoy us.

I've been begging people to do exactly that for a month or two, but it's fallen on deaf ears. People took the bait over and over again, then complained that I wasn't being heavy-handed enough.

I sort of gave up trying to make people happy a couple weeks ago. smirk

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
[...]
I've been begging people to do exactly that for a month or two, but it's fallen on deaf ears. People took the bait over and over again, then complained that I wasn't being heavy-handed enough.

[...]

Which eventually results in the hammer being dropped...a lose-lose situation for everyone. frown

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
This forum is the best moderated/run forum I know. I have had my own forum for a few years now and it is no where as big as this one so can appreciate the difficulty in having to deal with all the personalities, trolls and flamers. You cannot begin to please everyone. That said... I respect Piano Worlds decision. Were I to disagree I would PM the moderators and talk. If I still disagreed and so disliked the decision then I would leave. It's just a forum, not the real world. You can turn off a forum. smile

Peyton #1346194 01/10/10 10:23 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
You can turn off a forum. smile

But some of the addicts cannot....

Were I to disagree I would PM the moderators and talk.

Been there. Done that. smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
If there is consistency,

Keep your eye out for user

Ottos Cove

or perhaps

Nevets

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Phlebas
I think the duel had a lot to do with establishing, and maintaining manners and good behavior among men in centuries past.
I know there are a few things I've said that I might have thought twice about if the consequence was coffee and pistols at dawn.
Maybe we should bring back the duel.
(not really)

No pistols. CAGE MATCH.

sotto voce was gay? (not that I'm anti-gay or anything)

"Nie Dam Sie!"
I didn't know either. But then again, as I think he might be the first to say, there's a lot I don't know. ha

Originally Posted by Debussy20
No pistols. CAGE MATCH.

I think even fewer people might get that than who knew "Brett Favre." ha

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
...I do not think our moderators are turning a blind eye to holocaust denial....

Sadly, I have personal proof that this has happened, Piano*Dad. At the time I gave forum management the benefit of the doubt, but now that I can compare it with the situation of Sotto Voce of which I know every detail, I realise that their sense of justice is horribly skewed, if it exists at all.

Two points.
1. Holocaust denial? I must have missed those posts.
EDIT - OK, I did find what you were talking about. Agreed, antisemitism has no place on the forums.

2. Sexual orientation? That's not only nobody's business but also a ZERO factor in any decision regarding any member of this forum. I, myself, wouldn't even know anything about that except that it suddenly got thrown out as an issue in this debacle. And now that I do know, it's still not an issue with me (nor with any of the moderators).

Ken

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 01/12/10 03:58 AM.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
A
A
Originally Posted by Crow Wing
Originally Posted by Nikolas
just a note that as far as I know PartyPianist has been banned ......

Is PartyPianist really gone? This poster's style was unique and made extensive use of CAPITALIZED words for emphasis, adding "quotes" to single words, and adding (parenthetical comments within his/her sentences).
These are not all that unique.

They are fairly common within the hacker(as in computer knowledgeable) crowd. They probably aren't seen as often on Piano World, since it attracts a less technical crowd, but it is fairly common in some Internet subcultures.

The majority of that style comes from interacting with computers as well as the lack of bold and italics in plain text communication.

Clicky.

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp

Two points.
1. Holocaust denial? I must have missed those posts.
EDIT - OK, I did find what you were talking about. Agreed, antisemitism has no place on the forums.

2. Sexual orientation? That's not only nobody's business but also a ZERO factor in any decision regarding any member of this forum. I, myself, wouldn't even know anything about that except that it suddenly got thrown out as an issue in this debacle. And now that I do know, it's still not an issue with me (nor with any of the moderators).

Ken

There was a guy who had a link in his sig to some awful holocaust denial site. Several people complained. The mods asked him to change the sig. He didn't, and was banned. It didn't happen in a microsecond - Frank was out of town, and there were some other dust ups at the same time being dealt with, etc. - but it was taken care of.

Sexual orientation? I have no idea where that came from. I know SV accused me of being homophobic after I disagreed with him on something (sorry, had no idea the guy is gay, and couldn't have cared less). I just considered the source, and laughed.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Debussy20
Originally Posted by Phlebas
I think the duel had a lot to do with establishing, and maintaining manners and good behavior among men in centuries past.
I know there are a few things I've said that I might have thought twice about if the consequence was coffee and pistols at dawn.
Maybe we should bring back the duel.
(not really)

No pistols. CAGE MATCH.

In this instance it would have been more likely we would have witnessed a LA CAGE AUX FOLLES MATCH.

Originally Posted by theJourney
In this instance it would have been more likely we would have witnessed a LA CAGE AUX FOLLES MATCH.
Cover your ears Matt!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For god's sake people - get a life.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission