2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (BlaisGuitars, 716GoBills, Beansparrow, brdwyguy, Animisha, Burkey, c++, 1957, 8 invisible), 928 guests, and 529 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Bravo Julius!
I think that is a very decent performance. I certainly would be happy with your progress. I feel there are some areas where you could let the music breathe and evolve a bit more slowly, but other areas you are spot on. Very good job!

Not the latest (I seem to have entered a phase of revolving mistakes. Parts that were played well find new places to have a mistake).

I have found this to be the usual with longer pieces. I find re-working and breaking it down into different parts, helps to solidify the piece.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well Done Julius. And thanks for posting it.

Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Its All in the Game- KJarrett trans.
Gnossienne No1 E.Satie

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Julius, good job on the whole piece! I agree with Carl's comments, and you just need some fine tuning to get it really good!

I'm way behind, with all the holiday hoopla, so getting caught up and trying to get to a point where I can maybe post my progress. So, I haven't given up on this, just lagging.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Carl Mc, JimF, & CMohr
Thanks for the response. smile
I'm back to practicing parts slowly and getting the kinks out. The version I posted was from 12-18-09. I'm getting the hang of the H4n, but I still get the jitters when I try to record. Have to keep 3 dogs quiet and turn off the chime of the grandfather's clock. Not as bad as trying to play for others, but I'm still concious of the fact that others will be listening at some point. I've read a lot of posts that discuss recital jitters. I still haven't figured out whether I want to try to work towards getting over the jitters or just play for myself.
No rush to figure that one out.
Now that I've posted, the pressure is off. grin
Next on my list is my favorite, The Warsaw Concerto. Probably above my level, but I don't really care. Where there is sufficient will, there is a way (and I'm not in a hurry). smile
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I'm getting the hang of the H4n, but I still get the jitters when I try to record.

Record everything for a while, even practice, and then you won't even notice it is there.

Good idea smile
Thanks
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All,
It's good to see that there are still some people visiting the thread and that the work started still goes on. Work has been heck this past month or so but it's started to ease back. I'm looking forward to working on CDL once again. Good job Julius and thank you all for keeping the thread alive.
Woody

[Linked Image]
J
J
Hugh, How are you?
Haven't heard from you for a while. Last December, I sent you a X'mas eCard which I personally designed for you. If you haven't received it, please let me know, I will re-send it.

(It was so kind for the doctors at the hospital to finally let me go home on time to enjoy the holidays with family. However, I was not feeling well on the X'mas day, so I spent the whole morning to design that particular eCard for you. I really hope you will see my design and enjoy it as much as I do.)

I also send a private email to David asking about you. He hasn't responded to me yet. Hope to hear from you soon. I really hope every thing is well with you.

Sincerely,
Joy

H
H
Hello,

I have been quietly following the lessons for the last several months. Am now current with the last lesson and can play CDL reasonably well up to that point. I sure hope that Hugh will return to finish this piece in the near future????

Regards,

Bob

T
T
Bob,

I too am anxiously awaiting the next lesson from Hugh. I have started to teach myself the rest, but I just can't get the two measures two measures after where he stopped to work right. Anyway Hugh started this project in the summer, when he had a lot more free time. Since his teaching duties at Curtis started he has had a lot less time to continue on this generous free project. I am fairly sure he will finish, but in the mean time, I am using his principles and lessons to get a leg up on the rest. If you break it down like he does, and try some different fingerings that best fit your hand I think you will be able to get most of it down on your own. Good luck.

Chris

Hello Hugh and everyone in the class!

I am pretty new to the forums, so I am a very late starter to this class. Better late than never, eh?

I am enjoying reading through this thread and have picked up a number of tips/pointers that I have added to my TBPT (Tool Box of Piano Techniques). I have a music theory tool box as well. Good things to have. wink

Thanks ever so much to Hugh! This is a major undertaking, and the time and care you are putting into this effort is a very generous thing! I am very impressed with your interpretation of Clair de Lune as posted on youtube. It transports me to that beautiful world where time stands still.

I must admit that this intermission in instruction is something that serves me well - it gives me time to catch up with the class!

Back to practicing. . . .

Music is the voice of the heart.
T
T
Well I just couldn't wait any longer, so I went ahead and finished it myself. The remainder of the piece is pretty straightforward. The two measures after the last lesson are pretty easy, the next two are tricky, and here I had to use what I learned from Hugh to get a handle on the fingering. After that it's mostly arpeggio's and most of it is similar to earlier measures, which seemed to go pretty quickly. So as of now I have it all memorized, and can play it through at 3/4 speed well with few mistakes. Hopefully after some good practice I can have it at the speed I want. For all of you who are waiting I suggest you give it a try by yourself, it's a great feeling when you have it finished.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Maybe it's time you folks started posting videos?

T
T
I will post a video when I have the piece sounding the way I want. As I mentioned above, I have it memorized, but I can't play it at the speed I want, so once I get there I will record it.

M
M
Just found this thread.
I'm a beginner and find hugh very good a getting things across

Ive worked through the star wars intro videos and am chuffed with the outcome. Just waiting for Hugh to do the rest of the score.(hint hint)

I'm going to start on clair de lune if for no other reason than to get to know the keyboard and how to move from key to key learning to actually play it would be a bonus.

Thanks Hugh

Matt

Last edited by Mattyg; 02/21/10 05:03 PM.
P
P
Hello all! I have just finished measure 33 and am about to start 34! Thank you SO much Hugh. I just bought a new Casio PX 130, upgraded from my Casio WK-3000. Now I'm practicing with weighted keys.

Hugh, no joke, you have inspired me to take piano playing more seriously.

OP Offline
For those students who are working on digital pianos to learn "Clair de lune", you might find this video interesting. It's an overview of Pianoteq, a virtual modeled piano program that runs within a computer and controlled via MIDI from your keyboard. The expressive range is quite remarkable compared to regular digital pianos, and I demonstrate with a performance of "Clair de lune". I'd love to hear what you think!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh, that was beautiful. I don't think I've ever heard it played any better or with more expression.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Fabulous! Really beautiful sound there Hugh, I'm already a big fan of Pianoteq though!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
H
H
I already bought Pianoteq based on your recomandation and am very satisfied with it.

Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,694
Posts3,107,113
Members101,902
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission