2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1231900 07/15/09 11:06 AM
OP Offline
Hi, I've been a lurker for quite some time and in the process of researching pianos. I am interested in a Shigeru Kawai SK3 and would like to hear comments from owners of this instrument. Are you happy with your purchase? Any problems after purchasing?

Thanks so much.

anelemc.wordpress.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello topi,
Welcomed to the forum.
Your questions are easy to answer. Shigeru Kawai Company has taken very seriously the task of satisfying Shigeru buyers beyond their expectations. The after-purchase service goes as far as having one of their most talented and experienced technicians from Japan visit the customer at home and adjust the piano to their particular preferences.
The quality and design of the piano is also unquestionable.
Best Regards,

Last edited by Kurtmen; 07/15/09 02:26 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
I got a friend in Singapore who had purchased an SK3 last year. It's a great instrument, but the visit from a Kawai technician is only for those living in the USA/Canada. At least in Asia and many other continents around the world, the MPA visit is not offered by Kawai. Warranty also differs from country to country.

I have tried the SK3, and must agree that it is a very nice piano. My friend's SK3 was purchased out of the box (as piano dealers in Singapore - in general - do not prep the piano before selling them like piano dealers in the States). That being said, the tone and touch was already a winner.

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I own a Shigeru SK2 which is about 5" shorter than the SK3. I've had the piano now for about 3 months and absolutely love it to no end. I'm also very excited because, as Kurtman described above, I have an appointment scheduled this Sunday with a Master Piano Artisan from Japan who will come and spend a day working on my instrument.

I am a professional pianist in Toronto and decided about a year ago that it was time to find a piano that I could spend the rest of my life with.
I sampled a very wide array of pianos in a very exhauted search for 'the one'.
I played various specimens by Steinway, Bosendorfer, Mason and Hamlin, Schimmel, Sauter, Seiler, C.Bechstein, Bechstein Academy, Yamaha, Estonia, Grotrian, Fazioli and of course Shigeru.
As you can tell by this list I was focused mainly on high-end instruments (and although my income doesn't support this kind of purchase I was determined to find a way to make it happen through financing)

In the end three pianos stood out for me: a Fazioli 183, a Grotrian Cabinet and a particular Shigeru SK2. For what I was looking for in terms of sound, action, and the ability to be expressive across a very wide palette these three stood out well above the others.

The Fazioli, after a generous discount from the dealer, could be had for about $90,000 CDN. This was WAY out of my reasonable price range.

The Grotrian could have been had for about $55,000 CDN. After doing some number crunching this was almost possible (if i was willing to live off of Kraft dinner for the next five years.

The Shigeru, at almost half the price of the Grotrian (and a third of the price of the Fazioli) flip-flopped between my second and third choice over time(as I spent a considerable amount of time over several weeks playing these instruments). Fazioli was the clear winner in terms of having everything I could ever want in a piano but the price was, as stated earlier, out of the question. The fact that I kept going back and forth between the Grotrian and Shigeru as my 'realistic' choice made the final choice easy: 'Buy the cheaper of the two!"

So now I'm the proud 'partner' of a Shigeru SK2 and have absolutely no regrets. As each day passes I'm continually amazed at the sounds and colours that can be coaxed out of this beast and the action is to die for. I sometimes play very late at night and playing pppp is no problem with the ultra responsive and 'controllable' Millenium III action.

My verdict: In comparing what you PAY for what you GET I think that the Shigeru Kawai piano is hands down the very best piano in the world. It easily holds its own up against any of the top tier pianos in the world and in most cases can be had for half or even a third of the price. Of course, in the end personal preference for things like sound and tone play a big factor too. Some people may flat-out just not like a Shigeru.
But for me, in the end after a long and exhaustive search and really getting in touch with what I want from a piano it was a no brainer.

All the best,
Adrean

Last edited by AJF; 07/15/09 08:16 PM.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
OP Offline
Kurtmen, Chihuahua and AJF-thanks so much for your response. I will have the opportunity to touch and hear the SK3 next week. AJF-I played a Bosendorfer and cried, from the the beauty of the sound and the realization that owning one would not be within my financial means. Researching for that bass sound led me to the Shigeru Kawai and I'm excited at the prospect of what it offers.

Thanks again.

anelemc.wordpress.com
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
A friend has a Shigeru and I had a chance to play it. What a great piano, marvelous tone, action, clarity, and response. Kawaii makes a superb piano. You certainly can't go wrong with your purchase. Gaby Tu

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
It never fails. Shigeru threads always get very few responses. Are there THAT few owners reading these forums??
Maybe they're all just to busy playing their piano rather than reading about them smile

OP Offline
It's surprisingly a possiblity that there may be few owners. From postings on this site, European and Steinway pianos seem to be the preference. I plan on visiting a dealer next week and will post my findings.

anelemc.wordpress.com
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I look forward to hearing your impressions.
Have fun!

topi,

Have you tried the SK3 yet?

So what are your impressions? We keenly await your comments ... smile

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I don't own one, but have played several Shigerus and I love them. You won't be disappointed.

OP Offline
Still planning the trip to Peekskill, NY where the dealer is located. Will post once I make the journey.

anelemc.wordpress.com
A
A
Hi. Old thread but I’ll chime in. I was in a piano dealer this afternoon and played a Bechstein Academy 190, Estonia 190, Mason Hamlin AA, Shigeru SK3 and SK2, and a Bechstein Concert A192.

The Bechstein concert was definitely on a different level. The action was so fluid and sound so even. But I found the Shigerus to be not far behind to be honest. I really loved the warmth of the tone and the clarity in the treble. Other than the Bechstein concert the SK3 was my favorite piano I played today. Really impressive especially given the price point.

Working on:
Bach English Suite #2
Schubert Sonata A major D 959
Chopin Ballade #2

Practicing on:
Yamaha P-515
Kawai NV10s

Playing on:
1890 Steinway C (PianoCraft restoration pending)
2023 C. Bechstein A6

Old Flames:
2019 C. Bechstein Concert A192
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
2012 Kawai RX-2
2014 Mason Hamlin 50
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by AJF
My verdict: In comparing what you PAY for what you GET I think that the Shigeru Kawai piano is hands down the very best piano in the world. It easily holds its own up against any of the top tier pianos in the world and in most cases can be had for half or even a third of the price. Of course, in the end personal preference for things like sound and tone play a big factor too. Some people may flat-out just not like a Shigeru.
But for me, in the end after a long and exhaustive search and really getting in touch with what I want from a piano it was a no brainer.

All the best,
Adrean
Funny reading a post from 2009. 11 years later I came to the same conclusion. For fear of being called just another fanboy, personally I could care less what the name says on the fallboard. I'm not particularly picky about my pianos. It could say "Steinwart" and I wouldn't care. What mattered to me was quality in tone, touch, and build and what it would cost me in the end. Shigerus offer a phenomenal piano at a phenomenal price. If I do share this my love for this piano it is only for that reason- to share. There may be many an aspiring pianist who thinks a high quality piano is out of his/her reach, but I believe Kawai makes it possible. This poster BTW eventually became a Shigeru Artist.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by AJF
The Grotrian could have been had for about $55,000 CDN.

The Shigeru, at almost half the price of the Grotrian (and a third of the price of the Fazioli)...

All the best,
Adrean

Hi Adrean, this caught my attention. The SK2 is almost half the price of the Grotrian? New? I was just shopping for this a year ago and I was quoted nowhere near half of CAD$55,000. If that is the case, maybe I should go get one! PM me if you're more comfortable with that.

BTW, yes, SK2 is sweet.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 11/24/20 02:25 PM.

Kawai K500
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That post is 11 years old, and Adrean hasn't posted here in quite a while (over 18 months).

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
That post is 11 years old, and Adrean hasn't posted here in quite a while (over 18 months).

Haha, oops! Thanks for pointing that out. And I thought I was about to get a new SK2 at a cheap price! LOL 😂

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 11/24/20 02:42 PM.

Kawai K500
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

Haha, oops! Thanks for pointing that out. And I thought I was about to get a new SK2 at a cheap price! LOL 😂
For one somewhat lucky impulse buyer I happen to know that price was almost on the mark. whistle

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Since this is an old thread again I’ll add my thoughts about fanboy or cult member. Part of the joy of a piano is all the individual nuances in tone and response are interpreted differently for each and every person. What Jethro finds in an SK2 won’t be the same as I find in my L190 or what Rick finds in his C7 or Baldwin R model. I have watched other people piano shop. Their methodology, their playing, and what they like or dislike is very different all the way around from me. That’s why I certainly wouldn’t expect them to be as amazed as I was in the L190. That’s probably why I still haven’t fallen in love with a Steinway.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jethro

For one somewhat lucky impulse buyer I happen to know that price was almost on the mark. whistle

It was you, wasn't it?!? Call me envious. 😒 Some folks have all the luck!

Kawai K500
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J

It was you, wasn't it?!? Call me envious. 😒 Some folks have all the luck!
Nah just happened to be at the right place at the right time. wink

But you see once you become a true and unquestioning believer of Kawai good things tend to happen. Membership has its privileges indeed! grin

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
But you see once you become a true and unquestioning believer of Kawai good things tend to happen. Membership has its privileges indeed! grin

Errrr, that’s a little freaky... a bit “cultish”!?! Yikes!

Kawai K500
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J

Well, if you expect the spirit of Shigeru to bestow upon you great gifts you have to give in. Besides, it's not so bad once you get past the fruit flavored drinks.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Well, if you expect the spirit of Shigeru to bestow upon you great gifts you have to give in. Besides, it's not so bad once you get past the fruit flavored drinks.
Could the fruit flavored drinks be Kool Aide?

Sorry couldn’t resist the bait.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

Well...ok...if they ultimately bestow upon me an SK2 then ok, I'll bite! Pour me a glass of that Kool Aid!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 11/25/20 02:25 PM.

Kawai K500
C
C
I am a chaplain living in Tokyo, Japan and I need to replace a chapel piano. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Yamaha C6X or Shigeru Kawai SK3. Both are excellent pianos that can work well in the space, but I am curious what the long term cost of maintenance will be between these pianos. I have less than 2 years left here and I do not want to leave my replacement with the burden of an expensive piano to maintain. That being said, would the C6X be that much easier to tune every 6 m. or so or will the SK3 be so well built that it will need minimal maintenance? Any opinions are welcomed.

Last edited by ChMac; 07/29/22 08:36 AM.
S
S
if you tune it every 6 month and keep room temperate and moisture consistent, ether piano will be fine for long term consistency. The sk3 is a better piano than c6x in terms I’d touch and Tonal variation. It’s one of my favourite piano of all time.

PLEYEL P124
C
C
Thanks for your prompt reply. Do most tuners work on a Shigeru or do they shy away from it?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There would be no problem with either in terms of maintenance. I love a good SK3. However if the space is large, one of the errors that institutions often make is not buying an appropriately sized piano for the room and intended use. That might favor the C6X. I would not have an immediate preference for one over the other until I’ve tried the specific pianos being considered for the purchase.

Maintenance should be no issue, either way. Most of the service procedures are the same, though the MPA technicians do use more refined micro hammer shaping techniques, based on my observations. I used to own a SK6.

C
C
The chapel seats 400 and has a high roof so it has a fair amount of “air space” and it has industrial carpet throughout. The C6X may be the better size, but our piano player plays pretty aggressive and I can hear her on the current C3X (I will move that to the smaller chapel to replace a 45 yo Kawai KG-2D with a cracked soundboard) even outside the sanctuary, so I do not think the smaller SK3 would be a problem.

C
C
I have also considered a Yamaha S3X, but I am not sure it is a better value than the C6X which costs a little less.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I would definitely select the larger piano.

K
K
The SK3 has served me well for over 7 years here in the Asian tropics. Because I like hearing what the birds are saying about my playing, I practice several hrs/day w all the doors/windows open to the wet and dry season air ('cept for big rains) and haven't tuned it in over one year as it bounces back by itself betw wet and dry seasons.

Last edited by krewster; 07/30/22 06:21 PM.
C
C
Great feedback, thanks.

C
C
Thanks for the perspective. There is a reason why piano retailers do not like to compare grands of different sizes; in this case a 6’2” vs 7’0” grand.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If music figures prominently and acoustically in the services, the description of the room is not unlike a concert hall that would house a 9 foot concert grand. The primary concert space at my university seats 180 and is a bit acoustically dead, but the sound of a Steinway D does not overpower it. It takes up too much of the backstage area, though...

C
C
Where do you teach? Our man chapel space is better acoustically than our smaller chapel perhaps because of the wood paneling on the walls (built in 1977). The C3X we currently have in there seems loud enough.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’m a university piano professor, and have bounced around 4 different colleges throughout my career.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I also recommend getting the larger piano for your space.

Smaller pianos in larger spaces tend to get overplayed. The overplaying tends to lead to more service needs and a shorter life span, having nothing to do with the brands in this case. A larger piano will be a more natural fit, offering full tone without the need for overplaying.

You mentioned the C3X seems loud enough, but loudness is not equal to fullness.

A good smaller piano in a big space will still sound good...it will just sound small. It asks more of the audience, more of the pianist, and more of any accompanying instruments or vocalists.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Can you explain a bit more about the difference between loudness and fullness? Do you mean something like if the small piano is played very loudly, it will sound harsh or like the pianist is banging?

S
S
after just played an amazing 1970s c7. I'm completely blown away. for me definitely c7 or c6x over s3x.

PLEYEL P124
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Can you explain a bit more about the difference between loudness and fullness? Do you mean something like if the small piano is played very loudly, it will sound harsh or like the pianist is banging?
I'd be more comfortable if I could use the correct scientific terms to describe, but at the moment, I'll use what I have. Larger soundboards move more air for a given frequency and amplitude (dynamic level) so as the sound wave travels, the energy dissipates more slowly. As a sound wave dissipates, it loses amplitude and fidelity of the lower partials first. So a smaller soundboard can produce the desired dynamic level, but as it travels across a room that seats 400, the higher partials as well as higher frequencies are heard in greater percentage of the remaining sound waves.

So on one side, the pianists has to play harder on the smaller piano (1) [effectively banging at times] and on the audience side, they get less of the full tone that is produced in close proximity of the piano and (2) more high partials that also contribute to the banging effect. A 3rd contributing factor is that in a larger piano, in the bass and tenor regions, the tone has more of the fundamental frequency (as a result of scale design...longer strings) than a smaller piano. With less of the lower frequencies to start with, at a distance you get even more higher partials as a percentage of the tone. I believe this equates to a common description of sound that is "less full".

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
K
kre Offline
K
Originally Posted by Steven Y. A.
after just played an amazing 1970s c7. I'm completely blown away. for me definitely c7 or c6x over s3x.

They certainly have potential. I have played a concert in a big church with an old but simply magnificent C7.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
C
C
That’s awesome. My son is a Church Music major (Organ as his instrument) at Baylor. He prefers Kawai over Yamaha.

C
C
Wow, thank you for the awesome description regarding the dissipation of sound quality in a large vs. small piano in a sanctuary. I decided to go in another direction altogether. I decided to keep the C3X in the larger sanctuary and go with the smaller C1X for the smaller sanctuary. In the end, I know I will miss the rich sound of the C6X and my original goal was a C7X, but when that was out of budget, I ended up going small. I will let you know how it works out. Blessings, Ch Mac.

Last edited by ChMac; 08/05/22 07:25 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission