Yep today is my "official" 1yr anniversary of playing the piano
I say officially since I joined PW WAY before then, even had my Alfred books 1-3 and my new Digital Piano. Those then promptly sat there for some 6mths before I actually did anything with them
At the suggestions of many on this place I stepped up and got a teacher. It's really quite different when you have the accountability of reporting to someone every week to see what's new and what you've done. Looking back at what I've managed to achieve
- Good basic understanding of reading music!
- Several pieces under my belt (so to speak)
- Knowledge of how to build chords, triads, practice arpeggios, scales etc
- Basic knowledge of the circle of 5ths (only just began to cover this)
- 2 live recitals and 2 online ABF ones!
- Confidence! (still needs nurturing but it's growing)
(which I try to play daily or every other)
Up-and coming pieces (working on)
- The Entertainer (Just the Alfred version)
- Swinging Sevenths
- Night Song
- 1st Movement
- La Donna E Mobile
- Musettas Waltz
- At Sunrise (1st recital piece)
- Wonderland (2nd)
- A Good Question (will be #3 piece)
- Canon in D
- Glasgow Love Theme from Love Actually (needs polishing)
Biggest issue right now
- Falling Slowly (just beginning now in study group)
- Canon in D (full version)
- Forest Gump Feather Theme (dammit I'll get to it eventually)
- #3 pieces (some look very challenging)
- Piano Man (at some point I will tackle this)
Timing! I'm OK and can tell what the notes are (16th, 8th, dotted, QTR, whole etc. However, sometimes I have to just "hear" the piece for it to sync up in my brain and have me say to myself "oh yeah, that's how" and then I'm off. Biggest accomplishment
Well I'm still doing it
. Seriously though MOYD and ABF have been the biggest inspirations to me over this past year. Once I had learned (very early on) that there is always going to be people more talented than me I began to not be so hard on myself. I'm also pretty chuffed to have made it through books #1 & #2 of Alfred and now marching on into #3..
There is probably a lot I'm missing but heck, I've already rambled on enough (post is very long)
so I'll just sign off with a big THANK YOU!!
You guys & gals keep me grounded and with regards to my "Piano Journey" I know I found my "center" when I found you lot..
OK back to my playing....