2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (anotherscott, accordeur, Asperatology, ambrozy, butchkoch, CaseyVancouver, Alex Hutor, 13 invisible), 528 guests, and 563 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1219095 06/18/09 10:38 AM
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yep today is my "official" 1yr anniversary of playing the piano [Linked Image]

I say officially since I joined PW WAY before then, even had my Alfred books 1-3 and my new Digital Piano. Those then promptly sat there for some 6mths before I actually did anything with them
[Linked Image]

At the suggestions of many on this place I stepped up and got a teacher. It's really quite different when you have the accountability of reporting to someone every week to see what's new and what you've done.

Looking back at what I've managed to achieve
  • Good basic understanding of reading music!
  • Several pieces under my belt (so to speak)
  • Knowledge of how to build chords, triads, practice arpeggios, scales etc
  • Basic knowledge of the circle of 5ths (only just began to cover this)
  • 2 live recitals and 2 online ABF ones!
  • Confidence! (still needs nurturing but it's growing)

Current repertoire (which I try to play daily or every other)
  • The Entertainer (Just the Alfred version)
  • Tumbalalaika
  • Swinging Sevenths
  • Night Song
  • Musette
  • 1st Movement
  • La Donna E Mobile
  • Musettas Waltz
  • At Sunrise (1st recital piece)
  • Wonderland (2nd)
  • A Good Question (will be #3 piece)
  • Canon in D
  • Glasgow Love Theme from Love Actually (needs polishing)

Up-and coming pieces (working on)
  • Falling Slowly (just beginning now in study group)
  • Canon in D (full version)
  • Forest Gump Feather Theme (dammit I'll get to it eventually)
  • #3 pieces (some look very challenging)
  • Piano Man (at some point I will tackle this)

Biggest issue right now
Timing! I'm OK and can tell what the notes are (16th, 8th, dotted, QTR, whole etc. However, sometimes I have to just "hear" the piece for it to sync up in my brain and have me say to myself "oh yeah, that's how" and then I'm off.

Biggest accomplishment
Well I'm still doing it laugh. Seriously though MOYD and ABF have been the biggest inspirations to me over this past year. Once I had learned (very early on) that there is always going to be people more talented than me I began to not be so hard on myself. I'm also pretty chuffed to have made it through books #1 & #2 of Alfred and now marching on into #3..

There is probably a lot I'm missing but heck, I've already rambled on enough (post is very long) laugh so I'll just sign off with a big THANK YOU!! You guys & gals keep me grounded and with regards to my "Piano Journey" I know I found my "center" when I found you lot..

[Linked Image]

OK back to my playing.... [Linked Image]

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations! Another inspiring story for a beginner like me smile Keep it up!

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Way to go TTigg! Your Wonderland is awesome and shows how well you have done in s short amount of time. I also have issues with timing/tempo and let the gut do the work too often. But I'm working on it too.

Just imagine where you and the rest of us will be in a few years if we keep it up...

Congrat!!

Mark...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yahoo!! Congratulations!!!
(I have timing issues too. Just one of the things I have to spend a little extra time on.)

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
Awesome job TTigg!!!

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats TTig!!

The smiley under the chair is hilarious.

I
Ina Offline
I
Congratulations! Way to go!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Congratulations, TTigg on your anniversary and your accomplishments thus far. Well done! Here is a wish that you will experience many more of both. I do not know the date of my playing anniversary, but we'll just say that it was before you were born and leave it at that. Of course, I spent more of those years not playing than I have playing. Let's hope that doesn't happen to you.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I am impressed, TTigg - I played piano when I was a kid for a couple of years so coming back, even after 35+ years, wasn't a from-scratch thing. But I did try guitar from scratch as an adult - and I don't play guitar any more smile Good for you for sticking it out, and enjoying it to boot! You've certainly been a great member of the forum, too.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
B
Happy Piano-versary!!!

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
Way to go TTigg! Your Wonderland is awesome and shows how well you have done in s short amount of time. I also have issues with timing/tempo and let the gut do the work too often. But I'm working on it too.

Just imagine where you and the rest of us will be in a few years if we keep it up...

Congrat!!

Mark...

No kidding! I can't wait till I'm in my late 40s messing about in a lounge in Vegas or on a Cruise ship part time (well I can dream no?) smile Seriously though although I seem to posses some degree of natural talent (so to speak) I'd be no where near as far advanced as this without MOYD so, again, THANK YOU for doing this and your continued support / guidance. thumb

Originally Posted by Triryche
Congrats TTigg!!
The smiley under the chair is hilarious.

great isnt' he smile

Thanks also to Cathy, Dennis, Fox, Kymber, Ina Marimo and all. It's been fun and it's only going to get better cool

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Happy 1 year TTigg! I really enjoyed reading your reflections. I also finally understand why you joined this forum in 07 but began actually playing June 08, I had wondered about the discrepancy between the dates. I hope you're finding book 3 to be to your liking. I'll join you there as soon as I can.

Best,

[Linked Image]
TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
Happy 1 year TTigg! I really enjoyed reading your reflections. I also finally understand why you joined this forum in 07 but began actually playing June 08, I had wondered about the discrepancy between the dates. I hope you're finding book 3 to be to your liking. I'll join you there as soon as I can.

Best,

Glad I could help clear that up for you. Yep, I was very lazy before but not now.. Loving every min and book #3 has only just begun, I'll give you an update in a couple of weeks. I will tell you this though, the back of the book looks SUPER scary!!

SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TTigg

No kidding! I can't wait till I'm in my late 40s messing about in a lounge in Vegas or on a Cruise ship part time (well I can dream no?) smile Seriously though although I seem to posses some degree of natural talent (so to speak) I'd be no where near as far advanced as this without MOYD so, again, THANK YOU for doing this and your continued support / guidance. thumb

Trust some one in his (very) late 40's. Don't rush things. grin My wife and son and i were shopping in a Nordstrom the other day, and we noticed they had a sizable grand on display. My wife said, hey why don't you go play something? I laughed, but I did go take a quick look at the instrument. An older Steinway B with a sign actually pasted (who would glue a sign on a Steinway???) on the closed fallboard that read "Please Do Not Touch The Piano."

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

TTigg Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis

Trust some one in his (very) late 40's. Don't rush things. grin My wife and son and i were shopping in a Nordstrom the other day, and we noticed they had a sizable grand on display. My wife said, hey why don't you go play something? I laughed, but I did go take a quick look at the instrument. An older Steinway B with a sign actually pasted (who would glue a sign on a Steinway???) on the closed fallboard that read "Please Do Not Touch The Piano."

Never, was just "thinking out loud". To be honest if I possess the talent in years to come to just play the music that has caught my ear over the years that'll be good enough for me. I can't believe how much I've already learned and how much more I have to go, it really is life changing and I mean that in a good way!

I'm going to try to organize some Piano parties later on in the year, figure I may as well try to mingle with like-minded Piano nuts smile
- SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
C
C
Way to go!! The stories like yours are inspiration to us all beginners - or those picking up piano after a long time like myself smile

Last edited by Crisu; 06/19/09 09:15 AM.
A big CONGRATULATIONS from me too Ttigg! You’ve accomplished a lot in a relatively short amount of time. I’m looking forward to continuing our book 3 journey.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,296
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission