2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Clavfan Offline OP
OP Offline
I am currently still not decided on whether to go with a Clavinova CLP-340 or a Roland HP-203. So far I have only played a Clavinova CLP-330.

I went to the authorized Yamaha dealer in North York (Yonge and Finch area for those of you from the city).

I spoke with the two sales ladies working there and asked what the "real" price of the CLP-330 and 340 are. They looked up the "sale price" from their sheet and quoted me:

$2850 for the CLP-340 and
$2250 for the CLP-330

Both include delivery and setup, a bench and a 5-year warranty.

Since I was ready to buy, I left it at that. However I could imagine that I could talk them down another $100 or so.

I am hoping to visit the Roland dealer this week and try out the HP-203 if it is available. The one thing that I am curious about is if they will match the warranty. I noticed that online a 3-year warranty is mentioned.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
That price for the CLP340 is more than you want to pay, but lower than what many dealers claim as their "sale price".

Note that the polished ebony (PE) finish will sell for $200+ more than the wood finishes. Choose accordingly.

I would have expected the CLP340 to sell for under $2500 even with the PE finish. But there's some discussion of manufacturer price increases in April. I don't know the impact.

Note that you should always negotiate on the high-end Rolands and Yamahas and Kawais. The asking price is just that ... an "asking" price. You need to make an offer. (Try $2500 plus tax but incl. delivery. See what they say.)

R
R
Clavfan,

I'm in the same boat. I've also visited the House of Yamaha (same dealer you quoted) and they gave the same "sale" price.

I have also visited Cosmo music in Richmond Hill. They quoted me $3500 CND for the CLP-340PE and $2600 CND for the CLP-330. Walter's Music (Vaughan Mill) quoted me $3750 CND for the CLP-340PE.

It seems that the House of Yamaha is giving a much lower quote. Maybe they haven't updated their prices since April's price increase.

Since I was just "scouting" I didn't really push for a lowest price yet. If anything, Cosmo Music doesn't offer delivery but they do add one extra year to their warranty offer to 6 years. Walter's Music does provide delivery and setup.

When I visited Robert Lowrey's and checked out their Roland HP 203 ($2895 CND) and 207 ($4395 CND) I was surprise that they only offer an one year warranty for both models. Delivery and setup is included in their prices, also.

I hope to locate another Roland dealer that offers the HP lines here in the GTA. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Rodon
When I visited Robert Lowrey's and checked out their Roland HP 203 ($2895 CND) and 207 ($4395 CND) I was surprised that they only offer an one year warranty for both models.
The dealer neither offers nor provides a warranty. The manufacturers (Yamaha/Roland) do that. The dealer won't be involved in the warranty at all.

You mention that Roland has only a one-year warranty? That's for labor. The longer warranty is for parts. Here's what their web site says:

3 yr parts, 1 yr labor on these:
HP- & KR-series not specifically listed below, RK100, RK500

5 yr parts, 1 yr labor on these:
C30, DP990, HP201, HP203, HP207, HPi6s, HPi7s, KR103, KR105, KR107, KR111, KR115, KR115M, KR117M, LX10, RG1, RG3, RG3M, RG7, RM700, RP101

Originally Posted by Rodon
They quoted me $3500 CND for the CLP-340PE ...
$3500 CAD is $3015 USD. That's pretty high. It's just an asking price. Check the "prices paid" thread to see what others are paying, or refer to the summary in the PRICES PAID SPREADSHEET

Clavfan Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow.. only 1 year warranty. That definately makes the Yamaha's more attractive.

The reason the Roland HP-203 appeals to me is their Escapement feature and String Resonance. Both of which supposedly add to the "authentic feel" of a Grand Piano.

The CLP-330 did feel pretty good when I tried it out though...

Rodon, let me know if you are close to a decision. I wonder what kind of discount Roland/Yamaha could give if you could get them another customer smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Clavfan,
I don't know the current Canadian currancy conversion and won't comment on your pricing. I do have a couple of observations on your method:
1."I spoke with the two sales ladies working there and asked what the "real" price of the CLP-330 and 340 are." Folks want transparency in pricing, but when given the price, "However I could imagine that I could talk them down another $100 or so."

2."Since I was ready to buy, I left it at that." You were ready to buy, but you didn't? You want to talk them down, but you didn't? Why not?

3.A retailer cannot "match" a factory warranty. Accepting a store warranty lieu of a factory warranty would be a gamble on your part.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
I use www.xe.com/ucc for currency conversion. Seems they handle every currency in existence, many I've never even heard of.

AFN Afghanistan Afghanis ...... FJD Fiji Dollars .............. PEN Peru Nuevos Soles
ALL Albania Leke .............. FIM Finland Markkaa ........... PHP Philippines Pesos
DZD Algeria Dinars ............ FRF France Francs ............. XPT Platinum Ounces
ARS Argentina Pesos ........... XAU Gold Ounces ............... PLN Poland Zlotych
AUD Australia Dollars ......... GRD Greece Drachmae ........... PTE Portugal Escudos
ATS Austria Schillings ........ HKD Hong Kong Dollars ......... QAR Qatar Riyals
BSD Bahamas Dollars ........... HUF Hungary Forint ............ ROL Romania Lei
BHD Bahrain Dinars ............ XDR IMF Special Drawing Right . RON Romania New Lei
BDT Bangladesh Taka ........... ISK Iceland Kronur ............ RUB Russia Rubles
BBD Barbados Dollars .......... INR India Rupees .............. SAR Saudi Arabia Riyals
BEF Belgium Francs ............ IDR Indonesia Rupiahs ......... XAG Silver Ounces
BMD Bermuda Dollars ........... IRR Iran Rials ................ SGD Singapore Dollars
BRL Brazil Reais .............. IQD Iraq Dinars ............... SKK Slovakia Koruny
BGN Bulgaria Leva ............. IEP Ireland Pounds ............ SIT Slovenia Tolars
XOF CFA BCEAO Francs .......... ILS Israel New Shekels ........ ZAR South Africa Rand
XAF CFA BEAC Francs ........... ITL Italy Lire ................ KRW South Korea Won
XPF CFP Francs ................ JMD Jamaica Dollars ........... ESP Spain Pesetas
CAD Canada Dollars ............ JPY Japan Yen ................. LKR Sri Lanka Rupees
CLP Chile Pesos ............... JOD Jordan Dinars ............. SDG Sudan Pounds
CNY China Yuan Renminbi ....... KES Kenya Shillings ........... SEK Sweden Kronor
COP Colombia Pesos ............ KWD Kuwait Dinars ............. CHF Switzerland Francs
CRC Costa Rica Colones ........ LBP Lebanon Pounds ............ TWD Taiwan New Dollars
HRK Croatia Kuna .............. LUF Luxembourg Francs ......... THB Thailand Baht
CYP Cyprus Pounds ............. MYR Malaysia Ringgits ......... TTD Trinidad and Tobago Dollars
CZK Czech Republic Koruny ..... MTL Malta Liri ................ TND Tunisia Dinars
DKK Denmark Kroner ............ MUR Mauritius Rupees .......... TRY Turkey Lira
DEM Deutsche Marks ............ MXN Mexico Pesos .............. AED United Arab Emirates Dirhams
DOP Dominican Republic Pesos .. MAD Morocco Dirhams ........... GBP United Kingdom Pounds
NLG Dutch Guilders ............ NZD New Zealand Dollars ....... USD United States Dollars
XCD Eastern Caribbean Dollars . NOK Norway Kroner ............. VEB Venezuela Bolivares
EGP Egypt Pounds .............. OMR Oman Rials ................ VEF Venezuela Bolivares Fuertes
EEK Estonia Krooni ............ PKR Pakistan Rupees ........... VND Vietnam Dong
EUR Euro ...................... XPD Palladium Ounces .......... ZMK Zambia Kwacha

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Google works reasonably well too.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
And Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com) has a currency calculater that's constantly updated and very convenient. If you work in finance, you already know about Bloomberg.

R
R
Horwinkle,

Regarding Canadian warranty, per their website at: http://www.roland.ca/default.asp?c=3

We pay more taxes and get a shorter warranty! mad

Dear Roland / BOSS / EDIROL Customer,

Our Registration system will give you direct access to the Ask Us and Product Registration web site features without having to fill in your personal information each time you visit. Registered customers can also sign-up for events and special offers quickly and easily. Complete the registration process this one time, provide us with your email address and create a Password, and you're done!

*This form is provided by Roland Canada Ltd. for the benefit of Canadian residents with purchases made in Canada only.

Canadian warranty terms:

1 year parts and labour
except BOSS compact pedals - 5 years parts and labour

Incomplete information cannot be processed. You must include your full name. To ensure warranty service, should the need arise, please make sure you keep your store receipt as proof-of-purchase from an authorized Canadian Roland dealer. This information is for Roland's use only and will not be otherwise sold or distributed. Click here to read our Privacy Policy.

Please note:

If you are not a resident of Canada, you will receive the best information on Roland instruments and service in your area by contacting your nearest Roland retailer or Roland Distribution Company.

Roland Canada provides product and service information for Canadian residents only.

Thank you!

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Wow! Reduced warranty for Canadians. Thanks Roland, most kind!

M
M
Clavfan, I think you can get HP207 for ~ same money as CLP-340PE. Am I wrong?

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I believe (but could be mistaken) that Canada adds a 10% tariff to musical instruments manufactured/imported from countries other than the US. This would apply to both acoustic and electronic instruments so, at the very least we should see that 10% price disparity over the US prices.

As well I believe that each country's child company/importer (eg: Yamaha, US, Yamaha Canada) pays a different rate for the instruments from the exporter (eg: Yamaha Japan) based primarily on volume (units sold per quarter/year). Given that the Canadian market is only a fraction of the US market, I would expect Yamaha Canada's base price and MSRP to be higher than the US counterpart.

Finally, daily or even monthly currency fluctuations between the US and Canada currency would have almost no impact on the retail price of the units (although home currency to Japanese Yen might have some impact over the long term). Since instruments are imported in large batches (cargo containers filled to the brim), I would think that the price was set when the units were imported and would remain constant until the inventory was depleted and a new shipment was brought in.

My point is that prices vary between countries and even regionally within countries for many reasons so comparing the price from US retailers to Canadian retailers is pretty much pointless.

What's troubling is the huge variation between retailers in the same region (you would expect some small variation to cover different overhead but not outright gouging). My advice is to get the best price, and then use that quote to negotiate the same price with the preferred retailer.

Just my 2 cents,

Rodney

Clavfan Offline OP
OP Offline
the CLP-340PE is significantly more expensive than the CLP-340 Rosewood finish. Something like $400 more. So yes, I could see it approaching the price of an HP-207.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Rodney
Given that the Canadian market is only a fraction of the US market, I would expect Yamaha Canada's base price and MSRP to be higher than the US counterpart.
That may be. But users are posting in the "prices paid" thread, and the selling prices don't seem higher in Canada. Have a look at the PRICES PAID SPREADSHEET

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Whenever there is a wholesale price increase from a manufacturer/distributor there always is a short period where some dealers have stock on hand at a lower cost then others who order after the increase. This levels out as old stock is sold through. Some times distributors will absorb increases from the factory and/or currancy fluctuations for a time then lower the boom. Some outfits opperate in a LIFO process where even stock on hand is priced as the last in units are. This is a common accounting practice in many industries.

We received the most recent (and material) wholesale price increase from Yamaha on or about 4-12-09. There was a smaller on on or about 2-1-09. For smaller dealers who stock one to show and one to go, their prices may go up before larger dealers with gobs of back up stock in a wharehouse.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
M
M
Not only is there a 10% tariff on a piano coming in to Canada there will also be broker fees ( and that can be up to half the value of the shipment depending on the broker used) and also transport fees (which are higher in Canada). We in Canada do tend to pay higher prices for everything vs the American price and this is for everything from food to wedding dresses. It's why when the Canadian dollar was on par with the American dollar there was so much cross broad shopping.

I recently looked at a some CPLs and Kawais and the Yamaha where price in/around $3000.00 mark. As for warranties I always buy the extend warranty, I think of it this way $43, $86 or what ever it is piece of mind for the money I'm shelling out. I just purchased a DXG-630 and it was 1199.00 and I bought the extend warranty for $43.00 a year from the dealer, in my mind a $43 dollars a year in better then $300.00 to fix a broken DP. JMO

Last edited by manitobagirl; 05/13/09 02:31 AM. Reason: added depending on the broker used, I know this since I was a long haul trucker and say Bills for broker fees every now and then.

Today I got my piano, it's a Yamaha DXG-630.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission