2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Cutec, brennbaer, Alan3666, Carey, chaplincap, EssBrace, CyberGene, Evgeny 85, BlakeOR, 5 invisible), 1,359 guests, and 624 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone! I really like the Forum. I am new here and I have a question. I've just got my Roland HP207 delivered last night (I really like it!) and I also have a Yamaha S90ES. My question is: if I buy some midi cables and that I connect the S90ES to the HP-207, would I be able to play / use the sounds of the S90ES while playing the HP-207. I hope my question is clear. Thanks much!!!

Oliver

B
B
You might want to PM some of the guys (Seanakaforty, Horwinkle, etc.)on this forum who know a lot about this. They can probably help you out.

S
S
The short answer is yes. In fact, if you only want to control one keyboard with the other, you really only need a single MIDI cable. You would connect the cable going from the "MIDI out" of the HP207 (assuming that's what you want to be the "master" keyboard) to the "MIDI in" of the S90ES. Of course, you still need speakers or headphones for the S90ES. But judging by the specs, it looks like the HP207 has audio inputs. This is great, because it means that you can feed the outputs of the S90 into the inputs of the HP207, and have the S90's sounds play right through the HP's sound system! This is an ideal way of doing it, because there's just something inevitably foreign about having sound come from anywhere other than the instrument you are putting your hands on. With this setup, you have essentially created an S90ES onboard speakers!

There are more advanced MIDI settings that could be set up. Ironically, the S90ES is actually a more complete MIDI controller (i.e. "master") in this sense than the HP207 I'm pretty sure. Being a synthesizer as opposed to a digital piano, the S90 likely has more advanced parameters as far as setting up MIDI zones, assigning different MIDI chanels, and that sort of thing. All of that is overkill for what you're doing though. Plus, it doesn't have speakers and it's action probably isn't nearly as good as the HP207, so it would make no sense whatsoever to play the S90ES to trigger the HP207's sounds. So you've got the right idea: HP207's MIDI out to S90 MIDI in.

P.S. I know I get kind of redundant in these MIDI threads, but once again, I recommend you check out the following page for more information about MIDI:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
Now this website is geared more toward connecting a MIDI keyboard to a computer, not another keyboard, but the idea is much the same and the MIDI theory is essential.

Last edited by seanakaforty; 04/25/09 01:14 PM.
B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Dear Seanakaforty, thank you so much, you are a genius, it worked! I had tried without any success until I read your post - for instance I didn't know I still needed speakers, ie connecting S90ES back to the HP-207!!! Outstanding thought indeed - your post is gold!
Thanks to you I know what I am going to do with my S90ES I bought 4 months ago: I am going to sell it at a very good price because when you taste the HP-207... well... you don't go back! When I bought my HP-207 last week I was wondering if I really had a great piano and because I am lucky to have the 2 instruments side by side in my home I was able to do the ultimate [:)] comparaison. What I have always wanted was a fantastic piano sound and the HP-207 is giving me such sound (I can't afford a grand accoustic). Oh the S90ES sound isn't bad at all but it doesn't compare to the HP-207 sound and the feel of the keyboard of the HP-207 is simply amazing... it is almost like playing an accoustic...

Thank you again for all your help!!!

Oliver

S
S
No problem. Glad I could help!

B
B
buman ----- I was curious about the comparison of their Grand Piano sounds. What I've read is that even though the S90ES is a synth it contains the best sounding Grand Piano sample of any Yamaha or Roland digital. What were your thoughts on the GP sound of each? I'm a little surprised you thought the HP207 was better considering it probably has half the wave ROM in its GP. But then again, how would I know. I don't have the two in front of me like you.

Last edited by btcomm; 04/28/09 09:46 AM.
B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Btcom, you said: "the S90ES is a synth it contains the best sounding Grand Piano sample of any Yamaha or Roland digital."

Well, this is where everyone's taste seems to be so different.

I am sorry to disagree %1000... concerning the S 90ES.

1) The "Natural Piano" sound of the S 90ES was my favorite...
2) the S 90ES grand piano sound is horrible in my [humble] opinion...

I wanted and was looking for the best Grand Piano digital sound. That is why when I went to buy my HP-207 (I knew NOTHING about Roland!!!) I did try some digital Kuwai... not bad at all... I tried the Yamaha Clavinova series... I didn't like the sound much and the keyboard is horrible...

...then I also tried some grand accoustic like Kawai, Yamaha and Steinway. Kawai grand accoustic were a disaster! Yamaha grand accoustic are great! Steinway was....ok (it was only a $60,000 one ?).

When I tried the Roland HP-207 I totally fell in love with both the sound and the keyboard action and feel.

Anyway, Btcomm, in order to go back to what you said, I am not really sure what the "wave room space" mean but I can assure you: the Grand Piano sound on the HP-207 is A-m-a-z-i-n-g ... it feels like a) I am playing a grand accoustic b) I am getting the sound of a grand accoustic.

I think Roland managed to do something that no one has managed to do: the sound sampling AND the keyboard action... they are in total osmosis. I wouldn't want to play on something else, only if it is a real grand accoustic smile

I'm used to playing songs on the S 90ES which sounded OK... now thru the HP-207 they are ALIVE... the piano solo for instance from Elton John "I need you to turn to"... that is a real test for a digital piano!

The S 90 ES is a great keyboard to start with but I only cared about the Grand Piano sound and the HP-207 should have been my first and only choice. That's ok, someone on Ebay will enjoy a 5 month old S 90ES at half price smile

Oliver

B
B
Oliver ---- Thanks much for the info. Actually, it was not me that said the S90ES sounded the best but dozens and dozens of owners of this model that I've read in reviews and I was just repeating what they said. Also, I made a mistake in mentioning "Grand Piano". What was generally said was that the "piano" sounds of the S90ES were what sounded great. I just assumed it meant the "Grand Piano" patch.

Reason I mention is I think I want to upgrade my present Roland and was looking for the "best piano sounds" and actually had these two models in mind but it sounds like the HP207 might be the winner. Now if I can only try one out!

Last edited by btcomm; 04/28/09 07:15 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by seanakaforty
The short answer is yes. ....

P.S. I know I get kind of redundant in these MIDI threads, but once again, I recommend you check out the following page for more information about MIDI:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
Now this website is geared more toward connecting a MIDI keyboard to a computer, not another keyboard, but the idea is much the same and the MIDI theory is essential.

Hey Sean, that's a great intro page which I've now bookmarked to provide the next time I'm asked this question. smile

Buman, glad you got things working the way you want. smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
You're welcome btcomm! I believe that the Yamaha piano sound (S 90ES) maybe the best sound available for a synthe (especially the Natural Piano)but in my case I made the mistake to be attracted by all the bells and whistles of the S90ES when all I wanted was only piano sound... On the S 90ES if you strike the key(s) too hard the sound does not reflect a real piano sound... Concerning the HP-207 I would want to mention also that it has a lot of settings built-in so that you can enjoy the sound that you love. The CLEAR setting is amazing to my ears for instance... also I love being able to play using the keyboard action setting from super light to super heavy... and IN BETWEEN!!! I personally use the Heavy setting. The only setting that I do not use is the 3D settings because I do not like it. Perfection doesn't exist but the Roland HP-207 is very close to it! The Roland has many other sounds which seems great (the rich strings are nice for instance) but again I wanted Grand Piano sound and nothing else. And thru Roland, I found it - imagine a sound being superior to some grand accoustics!!! At the end I don't even think we can compare the S 90ES with a Roland HP-207... I never had a Roland before so I cannot comment on other / older models. I hope you'll have a chance to try one... i found my dealer on the Roland website when I typed "dealer locator by zip code". Keep us, keep me posted!

Oliver

B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Indeed kennychaffin! With my HP-207 Elton John has never sounded that good :):):):)

Oliver

B
B
Thanks for the info, Oliver --- I hope to try one out soon. I presently have a Roland FP4 which I mostly like for the action. I like a lighter/faster action and hope the 207 can be set similar or close to the FP4's action. One thing to note though, since the 207 does have a great speaker/sound setup I'm sure that adds a lot to its great piano sounds. I'm sure if one ran a cheaper digital like say the Yamaha P70 through the 207 even it would probably sound very good. Whatever works for me is OK!

B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
You know you're right - speakers are important and the HP-207 are indeed very good. I can PPP in the lowest keys and the sound is perfect, no distortion whatsoever. The HP-207 can also let you set up how fast you want the action and I would say that the OFF/Super Light thru Super heavy setup would also be to your taste for a light action. So yes speakers are important but if the sampled sound isn't totally realistic it still doesn't help. I.E. during my midi tries I got the sound of the Yamaha thru the HP seakers... it was a very good sound BUT that's wasn't realistic accoustic piano sound.

The HP-207 allows you also to play audio CDs (any USB CD player/recorder would do) or midi files and you can control the volume independently so that your audio cd can be as low or high as you want and one feature allows you to almost get rid of the vocals. I must admit it is doing a very good job. I love putting an Elton John CD (or one of these Half Leonard CDs with only the other intruments)and play the piano part! First I didn't care about this option at all until I found it so convenient to use it instead of launching the home CD player.

Oliver

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
buman,
Just curious, what were you using to monitor the s90es??

B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Triryche, I was using either headphones or a keyboard amplifier... I wanted to invest into JBL EON powered speakers ($600 each...) and I am so glad I didn't because as said ealier I connected the 90ES to the HP-207 and although the sound was really good it did NOT reproduce a true Grand Piano sound like the HP-207... only the Natural Piano sound was good but I knew that already. So in fact I think that what you get from your headphones is what you get... you can add quality speakers and yes again it is good... (as good as the headphones [compared to a keyboard amplifier]) but it's far from the Roland GP sound... very far...

Oliver

B
B
If you don't mind, what kind of price did you end up paying for the 207?

B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sure. it isn't a secret smile $4600 with free delivery (I live in the middle of nowhere, about one hour from the dealer). You cannot carry it in a car, even a big SUV. Also, it came brand new in a box (2 huge sealed boxes in fact, very heavy) and it was put together / installed by professional piano movers the store works with. The dealer name here in Richmond is Jordan Kitt Music. They sell Yamaha and Steinway accoustics as well as Yamaha digitals (Clavinova series only + Roland digitals). I personnaly had the BEST experience ever with Jordan Kitt Music. Extremely professional like you don't see it anymore. Their web site is right when they say %100 service). You may be able to get it for cheaper but for me service is everything - I did bargain a little (free delivery etc... here in VA it was listed for $5490 - sticker price on the demo model).

I would do it all over again. I was getting so frustrated in order to find something I like (the so expensive Clavinova series I wanted to buy doesn't even compare to the Roland!!!). Only the $85,000.00 red piano, both accoustic and digital but...:):)

Oliver

B
B
Thanks for the info, Oliver.

B
buman Offline OP
OP Offline
B
You're very welcome. I saw on the Forum that in another State some people bought it for cheaper. Virginia is a very rich State and dealers here have no problem selling pianos! So that's the best I was able to get (they had only one left + the demo one for instance). And if you see a beautiful girl you fall in love with, would you try to be the cheapest ? :):) Someone said that you can take it with you... I wouldn't try that... imagine if you ruin it during the transport or when you put it together... just my humble opinion.

Oliver

B
B
How true!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,879
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission