2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (clothearednincompo, DSC, Boboulus, CyberGene, Cutec, brennbaer, Alan3666, Carey, chaplincap, EssBrace, 5 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 624 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1187082 04/25/09 11:28 AM
B
OP Offline
B
hello,
which is the best keyboard mechanism to use with Pianoteq ?
Thanks for your suggestions.

S
S
...whichever action you like best. There's just know way to answer that question without you getting out there and putting your hands on keyboards for yourself. Reason being, if you ask 10 people what their favorite action is, you'll likely get close to 10 different answers...and still, you may hate all 10 of them! Personally, I am happy with my Casio PX-320's action. It's nice and heavy, like I like it. But some people hate it. Similarly, many people like the fast response of the Roland FP-4 (PHA Alpha II action, I believe it's called), but I hate it. Way too light and shallow, in my opinion. So just find a Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or whatever the equivalent is in your neck of the woods, and test some out. And make sure that you jot down some notes as far as which models you were playing, because you'll find that many different models share the same action. If you know which model you played, you've essentially evaluated the action of 2-3 other models in many cases.

But another factor to consider when you're using it as a controller like you will be, is the connection between the action and the sound. A great mechanism is nothing if it doesn't feel connected to the sound in the right way. So preferably, the 'board that you choose will have an adjustable velocity response, so that you can adapt it to your playing style and the response of the software. Of course, you'll also have to adjust your software's latency so that there's no perceivable gap between the time you press a key and the time the note sounds, but that's another topic altogether...

G
G
Pianoteq has an adjustable "velocity response" curve, so this wouldn't be a requirement of the keyboard you have.

Good advice to try out various actions.

Glenn

D
D
It's impossible to evaluate which keyboard is best for pianoteq just based on how it feels and sounds with its stock sounds.

I have a FP-4, and I think it allows for very expressive playing in Pianoteq, with no velocity adjustments needed. Note that the FP-4 transmits a real note off velocity, which is a feature not found in many other digital pianos.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Glenn NK
Pianoteq has an adjustable "velocity response" curve, so this wouldn't be a requirement of the keyboard you have.

Good advice to try out various actions.

Glenn

Yep, that's what I was going to say. I've been evaluating Pianoteq, (mostly vs. Truepianos) and am very close to pulling the trigger.... smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
K
K
I recently bought a fp4, and tried many other DPs. A couple of Kawai, Kurzweil SP2 and PC3x, a couple of Yamaha models and even the korg sp250. I had fun playing fp4 much more than other instruments. Sure, pc3x is a great instrument, but the price difference is not worth it for me.
I have a copy of pianoteq, but I've only used it one or two times since I got my fp4. Pianoteq has some nice features, but I am too lazy to hook-up the keyboard to my computer. I am satisfied with the sound of fp4

K
K
If you like a nice heavy action and are prepared to pay for it, try the Kawai MP8II. I <3 mine (though it took a while for me to warm to it in the store), and the feel is unlike anything from Roland or Yamaha.

If you can find a distributor and want a "dumb" midi controller with a good action, Studiologic Fatar seem to be regarded by many as the best available.

seanakaforty gave some good advice.

__
adult beginner / Sydney, AU / Kawai MP8II

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,879
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission