2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Handust Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I've previously only hung out in the piano section, so I wanted to just say hello here and say thanks. Even though I haven't posted here until now, I've been reading for quite a while and your discussions helped me make a decision on my new digital piano.

I just picked up my PX-320 a couple of hours ago from GC. Earlier this week I went in and played several different keyboards. I have a 5 year old Yamaha DP that served me well until I got my new grand piano last year. Despite having the acoustic, which I adore, I love playing late at night but felt hampered when the family was asleep. So I dragged out the old Yamaha again, and although I still had fun with it, I couldn't bear the non-weighted keys anymore. I don't play in a band or "gig", so I chose strictly on feel and sound. I originally thought I'd get the Yamaha P-85, but found I liked the sound and the feel of the 320 much better, to my surprise. A highly subjective thing, I realize, so I'm sure many won't agree. However, in the grand total of an hour that I've been playing the 320, I can say I think I love this thing!

I feel like I got a pretty decent deal, too. GC has a $100 instant rebate this month, PLUS when I brought the 320 home, I realized that it had been previously purchased and returned (everything was opened, the manual had clearly been bent open for some time, etc.) I checked it over and everything seemed fine, but still ... I called them to ask about it and they offered me another 10% off. So in the end I got it for $539, and I'm completely satisfied.

Now I can play to my heart's content, no matter the hour! I do hate the included pedal, and sadly my previous pedal (an aftermarket Yamaha) doesn't work (opposite). Guess I'll have to buy yet another. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks for all the help I received just by reading this forum!

Handust

B
B
I used a pair of M-Audio SP-2's for my PX-110. You should be able to find them online for $20/ea. They feel much, much better than the stupid thing that Casio ships with the privias.

Congratulations on your purchase! smile

Congratulations! I think the Privias are some of the most playable and fun DPs available regardless of price. Enjoy smile

H
Handust Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thank you, both. I am totally smitten! Between the acoustic and now the 320, there is not a time of the day when I can't play. I haven't even looked at the manual for the PX-320 yet (too busy playing it), but I'm anxious to learn it inside and out. Besides a close to "real piano" sound and feel, I also want to be able to record it and play around with some very light effects. I think this will keep me busy for quite some time.

Buck, on your recommendation I ordered the M-Audio SP-2; you're right, it got great reviews. It arrives Monday -- can't wait.

Back to playing .... smile

W
W
Glad you like the Privia i'm actually in the process of buying a piano too, i'll need to have a try at the privia..

Happy playing

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Good on ya!! I have a PX-720 (keyboard action is the same as 320), and I feel very satisfied after playing on it.. It has such an authentic feel.

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
F
F

I also bought the PX-320, but returned it. The functionality was great, action too. But there was some distorted after-noise after a key has been pressed. The sound is hard to describe, but it's somewhat like scratching our nails on a chalk board. With reverb on, the sound lasts a bit longer than without reverb. The sound I'm talking about is not a mechanical thing, it's from the sound engine.

You don't hear anything annoying after you press and release a key? Try it with the head phones on and a quiet environment. There was another poster who complained about the same issue.

The sound I'm complaining about is very minimal, but it's there. Had a Casio technician at my home, and he checked it out. At first, he argued with me that there's no problem with the sound. But after 20 minutes, he also recognized it. Changed the main board, but the same problem remained.

If it wasn't for this issue, I would have kept it -other than this, the PX-320 is excellent.

F
F
Btw, check out the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btL7pmv-0i4

This sound is heard even when the volume is set to 0.

S
S
Andrej,
I've got no idea where such a noise is coming from. If it was just a thing where you didn't like the sample itself then that would be one thing. But if the noise is present even with no volume, then it's definitely some sort of defect. Neither the 320 that was in the store when I was testing them, nor the one that I've owned for many months now has had anything like that. Are you in the U.S.? I'm thinking maybe a defective batch of these made their way to your neck of the woods or something. I've heard of some manufacturers (I believe it may have been Yamaha) realizing that a group of keyboards in a certain location or made within a certain time frame were defective and issue some sort of replacement or free fix. But I doubt Casio would do something like that. That's unfortunate though, because a fully functional PX320 is pretty hard to beat in terms of bang-for-your-buck!

Last edited by seanakaforty; 04/18/09 02:16 AM.
V
V
I am the lucky owner of fully functional PX-320 as well. I am very happy with it and I would choose it again against the low end yamahas for its better (to my taste) action and 3 dynamic level piano voices.
Disclosure: I play with head phones, I only care about the piano voices (modern and classic), the 1/4" OUT connectors and the USB are useful to me - otherwise a PX-120 would have fit my needs perfectly.
I also have the 3 pedals module (SP30-R) attached to a custom made stand and it works great so far.
I use a SP-2 pedal when I travel with the PX as it is very much portable imho - I did so last weekend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations we're TWINS! smile

I got a great deal on my PX-320 a few weeks ago at GC as well. $599 and I love it! I do need to get that SP-2 I think though.

No problems with sound here either.

Enjoy.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
F
F
Originally Posted by seanakaforty
I've heard of some manufacturers (I believe it may have been Yamaha) realizing that a group of keyboards in a certain location or made within a certain time frame were defective and issue some sort of replacement or free fix. But I doubt Casio would do something like that. That's unfortunate though, because a fully functional PX320 is pretty hard to beat in terms of bang-for-your-buck!

I'm in Germany. Casio tech support was actually quite good. I got to talk to to a support person on the phone, and they've sent a techie. The techie switched the main sound board, but the problem remained. This tech person was not employed by Casio, but was contracted by them (as well as other companies).

Well, maybe I should say tech support was "responsive", since the problem was not fixed.

Then I sent it back to Thomann (kinda like sweetwater.com in Europe), who have sent me another one, with the same defect. At this point I gave up.

I really wanted the PX320 to work for me, as I was otherwise quite impressed with it.

M
M
Dear all,
I have been following this very interesting thread and must admit I had been the proud owner of a Casio PL-40R in 2004. Sadly, I had to part with it as it had to make way for my daughter who is taking her ABRSM Grade 1 next year and the teacher needed her to have the experience of a real piano keys(finally got a used Yamaha U1). Frankly I think the PL-40R's touch (or Privia's touch) is suffice. I sold it off and has been thinking of it since...
Finally I decided to get PX320 after going through the specs (and most importantly, space as I only have a small study room with space for something like PX320 dimensions..)
However, side by side comparison, the PL-40R is still stronger is certain areas, eg it has 17 tracks capabilities, whereas the PX320 only has 2. Just wondering if we can compose a song, export it out via midi, clear the memory, and re-record again?
Thanks in advance and thanks for letting me share my experience of using a Casio Privia!

Regards,
Michael

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Michael, I've not done that, but my understanding is that you can record, copy to the SD card (as a .mid file) and transfer to a computer etc. It seems to me the copy/transfer process is somewhat involved, so I will more likely just record with my computer directly via the midi cable.

I had some issues the the USB and using Sonar but they were most likely of my own making as I was trading keyboards via the same USB connection which seemed to lock up my computer requiring a hard restart.

Kenny A. Chaffin
M
M
Dear Kenny,
Thanks for your reply. I have another inquiry...there are only 2 tracks, assuming for Track 1, I use it to save accompaniment, ie the drums,bass and chords. For Track 2, I use it to add some other instruments eg strings/guitar.
After saving tracks 1 and 2, when I play them back, can I still select a patch say Electric Piano and play live accompanied by Tracks 1 and 2 in the background?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Michael

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Michael, unfortunately I don't know the answer as I said, I've not tried this. I'm not sure if the accompaniment can be recorded or not.

Certainly any midi recording you make could be played back with different patches/instruments.

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to those questions my self.

P.S. I did just go look at the manual a bit and it clearly says that a "song" has two tracks and you can record accompaniment in Track 1 and melody in Track 2 so certainly that will work when you are playing the accompaniment yourself. It also says you can't change the "patch/instrument/voice" while it is playing but I'm not sure what that might imply about changing the instrument and playing along....

Last edited by kennychaffin; 04/24/09 07:11 AM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
J
J
I am planning to buy PX-320 pretty soon. I looked at GC website, they offer package which including x stand and stool for $719. Is it a good bargain? How's the x stand compare to cs-65 stand?
Thanks.

John

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

If it's the single x stand it's "useable" but not rock-stable.

I'm currently using my PX-320 with a double X stand which is again useable and more stable than the single X but It doesn't fit the piano perfectly as it is actually made for bigger pianos.

Kenny A. Chaffin

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission