2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1179623 04/13/09 02:31 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Some of these may prove difficult and, if so, I will give addiional clues later.

1. What pianist was the probably the first to perform the complete cycle of the Beethoven Sonatas?

2. What pianist performed 107 concerts in 117 days during his first concert tour of the US? Although the tour was sponsered by Steinway he never gave Steinway his endorsement during the tour.

3. What pianist was described by Artur Rubinstein as "his chief interest lay in dynamics, in a slowly prepared crescendo ending in a volcanic outburst at the climax, and he felt great satisfaction in frightening the audience...and yet he was a pianist of great stature..."?

4. What pianist caused Chopin to weep after hearing a performance of his own f minor Concerto?

5. What pianist included a sheet at his 1972 NYC debut from which the audience could select encores?

6. What pianist, while performing his US concerto debut, had the conductor's suspenders snap during the performance?

7. What pianist was described by Leon Fleisher as "unquestionably the greatest pianistic talent this country has ever produced"?

8. What pianist was described by one author as "with his Tartar features, eyes three quarters closed, the shock of red hair of which he was always conscious, the ecstatic glances towards the heavens, hands lifted high, he was the very picture of a virtuoso"?

9. What pianist was described by his very famous teacher in the following way: "You will never be a pianist...you are a musician"?

10. Which member of PW has learned all 20 of Messiaen's Contemplations of the Infant Jesus?

11. What pianist was the world's best selling composer of the 1830's? His tour of the US was so successful the P.T. Barnum tried to hire him.

12. What PW member recently gave a recital in which, with the exception of a Beethoven Sonata and a P&F by Bach, all the rest of the works were transcriptions(of works by Beethoven and Bach)?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/13/09 03:13 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I remember now that you never gave the answers to your first quiz, or did I miss your post?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I remember now that you never gave the answers to your first quiz, or did I miss your post?

I didn't give the answers to the first because only two people replied and they only answered a few questions each. I will give the answers to this quiz after a certain amount of time and/or a reasonable number or replies.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/13/09 03:03 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Before my time, but I actually know the answer to 5! (How I originally learned of it I don't recall.) Fairly certain about 1,9,10 and 11 without having the time at the moment to do any research on the others.

Jason
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
8 Paderewski
9 Schnabel

The rest ????????? but I'm dying to know whose suspenders snapped during the performance. Was he wearing the full French maid's outfit under the tail suit or just the fishnet stockings?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Wood-demon

The rest ????????? but I'm dying to know whose suspenders snapped during the performance. Was he wearing the full French maid's outfit under the tail suit or just the fishnet stockings?

I think the OP was referring to what we call 'braces'.

And BTW, 5 is definitely Ponti. 1 is probably Hallé, if not it should be.

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
1. What pianist was the probably the first to perform the complete cycle of the Beethoven Sonatas? CHARLES HALLE

2. What pianist performed 107 concerts in 117 days during his first concert tour of the US? Although the tour was sponsered by Steinway he never gave Steinway his endorsement during the tour. PADEREWSKI

3. What pianist was described by Artur Rubinstein as "his chief interest lay in dynamics, in a slowly prepared crescendo ending in a volcanic outburst at the climax, and he felt great satisfaction in frightening the audience...and yet he was a pianist of great stature..."? J HOFMANN

4. What pianist caused Chopin to weep after hearing a performance of his own f minor Concerto?

5. What pianist included a sheet at his 1972 NYC debut from which the audience could select encores? PONTI

6. What pianist, while performing his US concerto debut, had the conductor's suspenders snap during the performance?

7. What pianist was described by Leon Fleisher as "unquestionably the greatest pianistic talent this country has ever produced"? WILLIAM KAPELL

8. What pianist was described by one author as "with his Tartar features, eyes three quarters closed, the shock of red hair of which he was always conscious, the ecstatic glances towards the heavens, hands lifted high, he was the very picture of a virtuoso"? GILELS

9. What pianist was described by his very famous teacher in the following way: "You will never be a pianist...you are a musician"? LESCHETIZKY about SCHNABEL

10. Which member of PW has learned all 20 of Messiaen's Contemplations of the Infant Jesus? BRENDAN

11. What pianist was the world's best selling composer of the 1830's? His tour of the US was so successful the P.T. Barnum tried to hire him. HENRI HERZ
12. What PW member recently gave a recital in which, with the exception of a Betthoven Sonata and a P&F by Bach, all the rest of the works were transcriptions? ATTWOOD

PS. Thank you David Dubal

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You have too much time on your hands. smile

Best regards,

Deborah
OP Offline
Andromaque answered 9 out of 12 correctly!

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by gooddog
You have too much time on your hands. smile

I think so, too. smile

Steven

I'll take a stab at the "Chopin crying on hearing his Fm Concerto performed by another pianist" question.

It shouldn't be Liszt since then the question/answer would be too obvious and trivial.

I'm guessing: Carl Filtsch.

This is from Wikipedia:
According to numerous letters from Chopin and his acquaintances, Chopin considered Filtsch the most worthy interpreter of his music. A friend of Chopin's, Ferdinand Denis, reported in an article in Vienna's Der Humorist in February 1843 that on one occasion after listening to Filtsch, Chopin exclaimed, "My God! What a child! Nobody has ever understood me as this child has...It is not imitation, it is the same sentiment, an instinct that makes him play without thinking as if it could not have been any other way. He plays almost all my compositions without having heard me [play them], without being shown the smallest thing - not exactly like me [because he has his own cachet], but certainly not less well."

...and since I have no reputation, there's not much to lose in staking it on the answer.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
2) Paderewski
7) Kapell
8) Gilels

That's more than I got on your last quiz!

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Some of these may prove difficult and, if so, I will give addiional clues later.

1. What pianist was the probably the first to perform the complete cycle of the Beethoven Sonatas?
Charles Halle

2. What pianist performed 107 concerts in 117 days during his first concert tour of the US?
Ignacy Paderewski

3. What pianist was described by Artur Rubinstein as "his chief interest lay in dynamics, ..."?
Joseph Hoffman

4. What pianist caused Chopin to weep after hearing a performance of his own f minor Concerto
All of them.

5. What pianist included a sheet at his 1972 NYC debut from which the audience could select encores?
Pollini

Vladimir Horowitz

7. What pianist was described by Leon Fleisher as "unquestionably the greatest pianistic talent this country has ever produced"?
Kapell

8. What pianist was described by one author as "with his Tartar features, eyes three quarters closed.....
Emil Gilels

9. What pianist was described by his very famous teacher in the following way: "You will never be a pianist...you are a musician"?
Arthur Schnabel

10. Which member of PW has learned all 20 of Messiaen's Contemplations of the Infant Jesus?
....?....

11. What pianist was the world's best selling composer of the 1830's? His tour of the US was so successful the P.T. Barnum tried to hire him.
Henri Herz

12. What PW member recently gave a recital in which, with the exception of a Beethoven Sonata and a P&F by Bach, all the rest of the works were transcriptions(of works by Beethoven and Bach)?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

L'echange?

OP Offline
The only question no one has gotten correct is #12.

So??

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Jeffrey Biegel?

Steven

OP Offline
And the answer to #12 is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfkHYQ41gpI

There are probably thousands of Bach transcription for piano, but for me this is one of the most beautiful.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Gorgeous indeed (and a propos with the season). How did I miss that?

Last edited by Andromaque; 04/14/09 10:23 AM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Andromaque
1. What pianist was the probably the first to perform the complete cycle of the Beethoven Sonatas? CHARLES HALLE

2. What pianist performed 107 concerts in 117 days during his first concert tour of the US? Although the tour was sponsered by Steinway he never gave Steinway his endorsement during the tour. PADEREWSKI

3. What pianist was described by Artur Rubinstein as "his chief interest lay in dynamics, in a slowly prepared crescendo ending in a volcanic outburst at the climax, and he felt great satisfaction in frightening the audience...and yet he was a pianist of great stature..."? J HOFMANN

5. What pianist included a sheet at his 1972 NYC debut from which the audience could select encores? PONTI

7. What pianist was described by Leon Fleisher as "unquestionably the greatest pianistic talent this country has ever produced"? WILLIAM KAPELL

8. What pianist was described by one author as "with his Tartar features, eyes three quarters closed, the shock of red hair of which he was always conscious, the ecstatic glances towards the heavens, hands lifted high, he was the very picture of a virtuoso"? GILELS

9. What pianist was described by his very famous teacher in the following way: "You will never be a pianist...you are a musician"? LESCHETIZKY about SCHNABEL

10. Which member of PW has learned all 20 of Messiaen's Contemplations of the Infant Jesus? BRENDAN

11. What pianist was the world's best selling composer of the 1830's? His tour of the US was so successful the P.T. Barnum tried to hire him. HENRI HERZ
12. What PW member recently gave a recital in which, with the exception of a Betthoven Sonata and a P&F by Bach, all the rest of the works were transcriptions? ATTWOOD

PS. Thank you David Dubal

All above are correct except:

4.Karl Filtsch(who died at the age of 15)
6. Horowitz/Beechman Tchaikovsky PC #1
12. Frederic Chiu

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission