2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (clothearednincompo, ChristofS, 1957, Bill McKaig,RPT, butchkoch, anotherscott, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1111631 10/15/08 11:58 AM
OP Offline
I have always played music in major keys and of course had minor chords in the music, however, I have recently begun exploring minor keys and LOVE them.

I was wondering though how in Major Keys the I iv and V are the most popular chord progression when using that same chord progrssion in the minor keys they don't sound so good.

The song I am working on I play in Dm (natural I think) it has a Bb in it, but my progression begins with a I then a iv then a ii and I don't play the V unless the third is sharped i.e., A C#, E or A Major.

So since the minor keys are different than the major keys, what are the most popular chord progressions why are they different?

Thank you again!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
G
G
I don't think it is just the minor sound. Having major, minor and diminished chords available simply adds to the "vocabulary".

It seems that playing the V as a major chord is very popular, not only in popular music. I recommend you to read about the different minor scales too, it helps understanding progressions based on minor chords.

OP Offline
Guendola, there is a ton of difference between playing a song in a minor key or major from what I can tell. It's happy or sad.

Libby,

I'm also a fan of minor keys. From my understanding, chord progressions aren't necessarily different based on major vs. minor keys.

You might want to check out Seaside_Lee's fabulous post about "noodling": http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7189.html. In it, he shows a 1-6-2-5 progression in both a major key (C) and its relative minor key (Am). In the key of C, it's C, A, Dm, G. In the key of Am, it's Am, F, Bdim7, E.

A popular way to form progressions is using the Circle of Fifths. There's another great recent post, this time by quiescen: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7272.html.

All the popular progressions can be related to the circle, whether it's 1-6-2-5 or 1-4-5, etc.

I tried 1-4-5 in Dm, and to me it sounds fine, especially when Dm is harmonic minor, where the 5 chord is a major chord (with C#) which resolves back to Dm.

In your post, I assume you're using upper/lowercase Roman numerals to indicate major/minor chords? If so, in major keys, it should be I, IV, and V. In harmonic minor keys, it's i, iidim, iv, V.

OP Offline
See Tekkie, I don't understand:

"In your post, I assume you're using upper/lowercase Roman numerals to indicate major/minor chords? If so, in major keys, it should be I, IV, and V. In harmonic minor keys, it's i, iidim, iv, V."

Please define "it" if the major keys have a standard/pop chord progression I IV V, then in the minor keys why are you including the iidim and the iv is also minor right but the fifth is not, so the I IV V progression in the Major scale is not the same sound if you use the 1st 4th and 5th of the minor scale, and I don't mean cause it's a new scale, I mean the progression is now I iv V (meaning the 4th is a minor chord and the 5th is a major if that were true in a Major scale the F would me a fm,a whole different sound.

Please advise.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A simple 3chord song in a minor key would use

i, iv, V.(using scale degrees of the harmonic minor) But many arrangements also borrow chords from the relative major key.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
Originally posted by Libby:

Please define "it" if the major keys have a standard/pop chord progression I IV V, then in the minor keys why are you including the iidim and the iv is also minor right but the fifth is not, so the I IV V progression in the Major scale is not the same sound if you use the 1st 4th and 5th of the minor scale, and I don't mean cause it's a new scale, I mean the progression is now I iv V (meaning the 4th is a minor chord and the 5th is a major if that were true in a Major scale the F would me a fm,a whole different sound.

Please advise. [/QB]
The reason I mentioned iidim is because it's part of the popular 1-6-2-5 progression, and in a minor key, the 2 chord is diminished. For example, in the key of Dm, the 2 chord is Edim.

The 1-4-5 progression in a harmonic minor key using Roman numerals is i iv V, not I iv V. Again, using the Dm key, the progression is Dm Gm A.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha SH1 loosing loudness?
by ChristofS - 08/01/21 07:31 AM
Advice For Digital Piano for Keyboard Player
by BennyY - 08/01/21 07:11 AM
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,312
Posts3,118,026
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission