2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Months after I 'finished' this piece I still play it regularly and I think I'm still improving a bit.
The hardest part to play well is still by far the middle section. Especially at the end of that section: the downward chords and the couple of measures before that.

And the physical part is quite true. I definately 'trained' some specific arm and hand muscles with this piece laugh ... or maybe I somehow greatly improved my technique. Because at first I really couldn't play the third section forte, without getting terrible strain in my arms.
Today I have much less problems playing octaves/big chords for a longer period.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can say the same about my technique with fat chords - my stretch and comfort improved a lot. I have, however, observed a certain thing in my playing. I HAVE to rest from playing this piece a bit. After getting to the peak I started playing the middle section worse and worse... I guess it was just too much. Unfortunately, the recording wasn't done at the peak, as I didn't know then it will get worse ;-)

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
I agree with you all. I haven't played this piece consistently since I finished it, and now when I do, I can't quite make it to the end at tempo. It's much more physical than other pieces I have played. I'm glad people are still working through it.

I went to a symphony concert last fall, and at the end the pianist (Garrick Ohlsson) was called back on stage for an encore, and this is what he played. It was the first time I had experienced this--a piece I can actually play was performed at a professional concert! It was a great feeling of satisfaction, and I really do want to keep this one up.

Nancy

Estonia 168
X
X
This piece is really taking a back seat for me, I've been fiddling with it for about 3 weeks, when I started it I thought I should have it down in 6 months, but I'm starting to think that a year or longer is a more realistic goal. This piece is way above my playing level. It's frustrating to try to play something I can't comprehend so Ive just been going over it a little most days, and as slow as progress is, it is getting easier.

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bump!!! Hate to do that but as this is a "Study Group" I guess its OK?

I never really finished this piece, I just didn't have the chops for it way back then! Recently the fact that it was unfinished has been nagging away and so its time for a second attempt. Previously the 4-staves section proved my Achilies heel and I never could get to play fluently.

So I've been working hard drilling away at the 4-staves setion for the last two-weeks. I'm going to re-learning it back to front. So now its on to the Agitato section...

Is anyone else working on this piece?

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hi Elwyn,

I have not played this piece in perhaps half a decade, but I do remember the troubles that I went through with this piece.

Just like you, at the time I didn't think I had the ability to play this piece. I made the jump from Mozart's Alla Turca to this montrosity!.

Needless to say it was the best decision I made in my musical life, because it made me understand that no piece is out of my reach if I set realistic goals and fulfill them through practicing (and motivated to learn it).

As for the Tempo Primo section (4 staves), the two big problems I found with that section were stamina and fingering.

This section needs to be played fff to ffff, which pretty much means the maximum that a human can play =p. But since you are learning this piece, it may be easier for you to forgo the dynamics and get the notes right first.

I can recall that there are some questionable and tough chords to be played. Sometimes its ok to remove a note here or there, just make sure its not the note that carries the melody or deconstructs the harmony in a significant way.

Once you slowly begin to memorize the chords and you are comfortable looking away from the notes, you may want to try inserting the dynamics.

I always felt that the Agitato section was the most difficult. It's hard to play the notes soft while emphasizing the melody (E, D3, D, c#).

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
<<Once you slowly begin to memorize the chords and you are comfortable looking away from the notes, you may want to try inserting the dynamics. >>

I've successfully memorised the chords for the 4-staves secion, but cannot remember them fast enough or just not necessarily in the correct order ;-)

I'll give it a go. smile
I printed the version from "misc" on page one but notice that there are several versions and the one I printed doesn't seem to have the full chords at the start. Its going to take me a while to catch up. (I'm currently working on several other things) Maybe some of the folks from "Clair de Lune From Scratch" that are waiting for lessons to resume will join in while they are waiting.
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission