2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Carey, 1957, Abdol, Bostonmoores, burmashave, Augustina, agent8698, BlakeOR, 13 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1002267 02/28/06 04:48 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm not new to the forums but I have rarely come here. Maybe now that I have purchased a grand I should look and talk pianos (the piano forum) no more and concentrate on my playing.
I'm not really a beginner, I have been at it for to long to be calling myself that, but I FEEL like a beginner, so am I welcome here?

I am going to assume that is a yes, , ,

So - on to my topic. I have been thinking of buying a laptop computer designated for music making only. Transcribing, writing, recording, whatever. Do any of you use computers for your musical study and composition? What programs are available? How do you use them? What are the intricacies that I should consider? How powerful a computer do I need?
And then, how do I get on to this Recital thing that you all have going on?
Thanks,
Mike, From Durango Colorado, God's country.

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1002268 02/28/06 05:19 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Most current laptops sold should do the job. (I'm partial to Dells.) You'll want 1GB of RAM and a large 7200 rpm hard drive. Also, the larger the screen and the higher the resolution, the more stuff you can see at the same time.

After that, you need a gizmo to get the sound into the laptop. Here are some ideas .

For software, I use Cool Edit Pro, but that has been purchased by Adobe and is now being sold as Audition . You can also use the free Audacity.

If you want to create scores, Finale is supposed to be one of the best out there.

#1002269 02/28/06 05:20 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Heck yes, Mike, you're welcome here. smile If you have browsed any of our recent threads on working with computers and recording music, you will know that I am the WORST person to offer any kind of computer advice, so I won't.

But I WILL tell you about the recitals...our next recital is set for May 15th. We've pretty much decided to group them together as zip files that will be available on savefile.com. But as we get closer to the date we'll have a thread announcing all the details about where and who to send the mp3 to for zipping. If it's like last time, you'll need to figure out a way to record your piece as an mp3 file at 96, um, somethings (kbits? bits? I forget). Most of us use audacity (which you can download for free), which requires lame (also downloadable for free) for conversion to mp3s.

I don't have a program for composing, but I've seen a lot of discussion in the composer's lounge about programs. I think a lot of people use something called Finale (?). But now I'm drifting into computer talk, which is not where I should be...

#1002270 02/28/06 05:56 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you Bob and Monica!
I would still like to hear more about what others of you are doing. For the past hour I have been browzing this forum and would like to become a part! I just listened to Ballader's Phantom of the Oprah and was blown away. I could have saved thousands if I had only bought a Roland!
Seriously, that was beautiful. And what you all are doing here on this forum is truly amazing. I'll be spending more time here if I will be allowed.
So what is "Piano Magic" and how have you all become so good with only minimal years of playing. Many of you play better than me, and I have been playing for 25 years! Granted, 18 of those years were not very serious. I am currently in lessons and practice every day. But WOW, you guys are really good!
I think I will hang around here a little more.

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
#1002271 02/28/06 06:11 PM
Mike,

Audio applications do tend to eat up the computers available processing capacity. Bob's recommendation sounds about right. It also takes up a lot of hard drive space to record to your computer. You should be covered if you get the 7200 rpm drive, though, because I think they only come 60gb or bigger. Of course you could always go the Macintosh route if you are into that kind of thing.

Regarding how to get it to the computer I purchased a M-Audio Firewire 410 . If the link doesn't work I will try to fix it. I haven't attached any links to my responses yet... What I like is that it takes a lot of the burden off the computer. Let the external hardware convert your signal to digital input. Others may not have this problem, but I tried a USB type device and had nothing but problems. Lots of feedback and inline noise along with inconsistent data transfer. Part of my problem was that I am still running USB 1.1. In addition, (correct me if I am wrong) I believe firewire is also less demanding to a computer's processor than USB. So far I have been very happy with this device. Plus the site I ordered from threw in a free condenser mic.

I haven't solved the software issue for myself yet. I tried Audacity since so many here use it. As far as free programs go it really does do a good job. It should at least suffice to get you acquainted and figure out what you are looking for in a software package.

Dean
#1002272 02/28/06 06:27 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Phantom of the Oprah
That cracked me up when I read that. I know it's just a typo, but I suddenly had visions of a ghost haunting Oprah's TV studio. laugh

PianoMagic is a course designed to teach us how to play by ear and eventually (if we like) to play professionally. (Strickly non-classical music of course.) You'll find a lot of information and plenty of previously asked questions by doing a search for pianomagic in this forum and in the non-classical music forum.

#1002273 02/28/06 07:44 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mike, welcome to the group! If you decide you need to "give away" one of your pianos I'd be more than happy to take one off your hands. Of course, you'll have to pay the shipping to get it to me also (evil grin).

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
#1002274 02/28/06 08:14 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Phantom of the Oprah???
That would be Tom Cruise wouldn't it?
Spelling, never a strong suit of mine. Now, let's try that again; O - P - E - R - A ?

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
#1002275 02/28/06 11:52 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mike -
Welcome to another Colorado dweller. I just bought a Dell laptop for just that. I've been experimenting with recording and the advice given here on things to look for in laptops and disk drives looks to be right on from here.

cathy

#1002276 03/01/06 12:11 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Welcome Mike:

Welcome to the "worlds most talented beginers forum" !

I have heard some members in this forum play better than some seasoned pro's! and here's the catch...they really are beginers!!

It is their passion for music that brings out this quality. While some other members on the main forum are just bickering about who's soundboard is better etc, our members are using that "bicker and bitch" time to get some real playing in!.. The people here are NOT just "talkers", boy oh boy can they back it up!!

BTW, the things you want to do (compose, transcribe etc) can also be found on some of the current digital piano's.

My Roland KR-7 for example can "transpose" or write a score of music that you just played. I.e compose or provide you with a digital "writen" score for a song you just played on the piano but never had the sheet music for...does that make sense?.... confusing?

Anyway, just a thought, you could look into a digital piano as well.

Nice to have you here.

#1002277 03/01/06 07:46 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Purchased this equipment for Xmas $550 total.
PreSonus

1) Type of piano:1919 M&H A
2) Type of mic: 2 Groove Tube GT55's
3) Mic placement: outside in the curve
4) Hardware: Presonus Inspire PreAmp Firewire
5) Recording software: CubaseLE
9) Recording location: Living Room

Thks... for the "Phantom of the Oprah" laugh ...always need a funny in the a.m.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Titanic Piano
by Dakota - 07/24/21 11:50 PM
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,065
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission