2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (drumour, chopin_r_us, bluebilly, clothearednincompo, BlizzardPiano, DaveX, beeboss, barbaram, David Lai, 6 invisible), 474 guests, and 555 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
anyone recognize this damper system? chopin_r_us 4 minutes ago
[Linked Image]

Is it 130 years old? Thanks so much!
0 3 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: "40 Pieces A Year Club" for 2021 barbaram 13 minutes ago
Sebs - great work on the Allegro and Vivace, and thanks for your supportive comment on my latest smile
Saan - loved the Granados!
351 21,528 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: VST connection recording ease of use for an illiterate Frédéric L 19 minutes ago
The main drawback of an old laptop is the 5400 rpm hard disk. Synthogy Ivory sampled virtual pianos advocate 7200 rpm mini or - better - a SSD. I suppose this advice applies to other sampled virtual pianos.

Pianoteq is not sampled then may be preferable with a laptop if the hard disk is slow.
17 447 Read More
Re: Started a new blog where I document my progress. Thoughts? BlizzardPiano 34 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by BlizzardPiano
What do you guys think?

Hi BlizzardPiano, it is a very nice idea! However, you don't do much to draw the reader into the text. In the first paragraph of the first day, we only get very little information about you, and why is this day 1? I would have liked some kind of introduction to you and your practice.

I completely revamped Day 1. Have a look!
https://blizzardpiano.wordpress.com/2021/05/11/day-1/

I added a description of myself. I also added in a bunch of images, it's probably gone a bit overboard, but heck, I was having fun! I'm finally on my way to blogging nirvana :P To those over here, I am quite serious about the blog, but I don't really care for writing something which reads like an academic text -- it's always a fun challenge to try and convey things in a fun manner while not losing quality.

I'd say that one of the advantages to the stream-of-consciousness style I have here over something more dry, like a textbook, is that I'm free to go off on tangents and come up with wild conjectures.
5 104 Read More
Re: Pianoteq is a miracle meghdad 37 minutes ago
I created this thread to share my sentiment about the significance and the scientific value of creating a very close approximation of the sound that a complex instrument like the piano projects. That is why I liked to an analysis article in the OP. I am not really a fanboy of any VST, that's silly. But that does not mean I should be blind to such a significant achievement.
51 2,545 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Economical equipment to record a grand pwl 40 minutes ago
n03 -

I see you'd also like to be able to use a mic directly into the Nikon or your Macbook. Both the Tascam and Zoom recorders have a line output that le'st you send out the signal you're recording. You'd have to do some careful experimentation so as not to overload the input, esp. on the Nikon. You *might* not be able to achieve a satisfactory level matchup - but it would be worth a try, and you might very well be able to do it!

The Tascam also has a USB output, which would allow the recorder to act as a USB mic into the Macbook. I'm not sure about the Zoom. My guess is that this would be the "best quality" hookup for the Macbook.
5 154 Read More
Re: Recording on iPad using Rode NT55 mic Hakki 41 minutes ago
Also make sure the low-cut filter and the high-pass filter switches on the mics are at “0” position.
42 1,623 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: WTC C-maj fugue (bk 1) analysis question Sidokar 49 minutes ago
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
I was doing a google search to look up PAC and found this website that has some fugue analysis, maybe it's interesting to someone?

http://www.algomus.fr/fugues/bach/index.html

Sorry, I should have expanded. It means Perfect Authentic Cadence. Though the term is better suited for classical period and less relevant for baroque music. Lets say the piece has a strong formal cadence on A minor with a typical V-I.

The actuel details of how Bach does the harmony shifts are probably more of a second priority vs the overall harmonic architecture and the style of the piece, the rythmic organisation and the counterpoint work. There are probably plenty of materials available on this piece. Most important is how you choose to play it ! Good luck.
8 286 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Handel/Halvorsen - Passacaglia AndresVel 51 minutes ago
This was lovely. Thank you for sharing :)))
1 16 Read More
Re: Your "interpretation pet peeves" Bachian 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by twocats
Pianists who overpedal classical music (e.g. Mozart). It drives me nuts!

Hehe, in a similar vein, pianists who overpedal Bach drive me to drink! Literally and figuratively!
45 1,843 Read More
Re: Modifying a Fatar TP100LR? Philatello 1 hour ago
Yes, I've cut slantwise 3/4 of the extreme part you've sourrounded in order to let the hammer follow its path and return with slightly more momentum, minimizing too the friction (altough Studiologic have added grease between hammer lever and this part of the key).

Consequently due to mass (from 12g (bass) to 25g by different washers assemblies) glued under each key (inside (partially empty) and near to the end of the key) and the lesser friction action is more responsive and lighter (slightly lighter than my baby grand (Renner action) piano (it was the goal) but remains a little bit less responsive than it for the bass). The total additional weight is less than 2 kg.
14 534 Read More
Re: use yamaha p-125 for audio output from computer DPAfficionado 1 hour ago
Was anybody successful in getting a Yamaha DP that supports USB audio (ex: P-121, P-125, P-515, ...) to work with Linux? I wonder if I could use my Raspberry Pi4 to work with Pianoteq using the USB audio card provided by my Yamaha P-121.
Thanks!
8 2,339 Read More
Re: Hocus-pocus? Is there a better way? Withindale 1 hour ago
I am very pleased you enjoyed Stephen Hough's performance. You are right, people need to hear a piano or better recordings before deciding whether they prefer clearer piano sounds to the ones they have enjoyed for 150 years or so.
92 3,672 Read More
Re: What did you play today? Johan B 1 hour ago
Hi there,

Yesterday played this one...... grin All kind of music....Bach, Pachelbel and the romantic music Frank, Lefebure....
The organkeys Willibrorduskerk

In this church I regularly play during opening for visitors .....started these performances in 2012. (Pic 9 is the organ)
Willibrorduskerk Kloosterburen (Groningen-The Netherlands) 3hearts

Best regards,
Johan B

.......what did you play today.........?
270 20,208 Read More
Re: Easiest Chopin Pieces Sidokar 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Wiosna is not a piece Chopin wrote for solo piano. It is the accompaniment to a song of the same title he wrote. That's why neither RCM or Bailie gives it a difficulty rating among Chopin's works for solo piano.

It is from the Opus 74, (17 polish songs) the only complete opus set Chopin that composed for voice. It is worth listening, a lot of charm and grace. Since Chopin is supposed to have imitated the voice in his piano composition, one can hear his actual compositions for voice.

29 792 Read More
Re: Chopin - Ballade No. 4 in F-minor, Op. 52 grand_BB_71 1 hour ago
Wibi Soerjadi performs the 4th Ballade in a very deliberate and slower tempo:

106 14,729 Read More
Re: The great "Golden Age" pianists grand_BB_71 1 hour ago
Here is Emil Gilels playing the Prelude in B-flat major, Op. 23, No. 2, of Rachmaninoff:

149 9,548 Read More
Re: Pipe Organ VST marklings 1 hour ago
Good ideas / suggestion, thanks. I would imagine your nick is a hint at your musical passions . . . I am very familiar with Flemish renaissance a cappella polyphony, not so much with keyboard works. I listened to some Sweelinck stuff on you tube, intriguing . . .
17 726 Read More
Re: Dorothy Taubman Seminar (Online) twocats 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Harpuia
I have the same question. For the masterclass, would the teacher be expecting us to almost finish and memorize the piece? I just started practicing two Chopin Etudes for a couple of weeks. I’m far from playing memorized and in tempo. However, I think I would benefit the most from Taubman approaches by using that in etudes or technical exercises.

I’m not ready to record myself yet but may be I could do that by May 23rd.

It's not a normal masterclass, this is a "helping you with specific issues that you're having" masterclass. And you wouldn't be submitting a complete piece, just a sample passage that you'd like help with (and it doesn't even have to be shown on the stream that day, she'll answer all submitted questions which is AMAZING). My sample video was 30 seconds and about one page. For mine, I just can't play it without a stiff wrist and it'll probably get painful when I get it up to speed, so I would definitely like some help!
16 777 Read More
Re: No backcheck? chopin_r_us 2 hours ago
I own 6 pianos. This is the only one that does this. You go to replay a key and it's still bouncing!
17 298 Read More
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB grand piano grand_BB_71 2 hours ago
Chipped (painted) black key:

Here is a pic of a G-sharp key (2nd octave above middle C) that has a sizable paint chip missing as one can clearly see the underlying hard wood underneath -- as it may be ebony although it could be another hard wood -- which is yet to be determined by the technician at the restoration shop so that I can decide as to how to proceed with either fixing the sharps or possibly replacing them entirely with new ebony / plastic sharps:

[Linked Image]

Not a pretty sight when the chipped areas just become larger as one continues to play (as black specks end up on the white keys) and I was able to chip away this small section of paint with only a finger nail. eek
39 3,427 Read More
Re: Choosing from repertoire for a senior recital? BruceD 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Mark_C
[...]BTW was it on purpose that you left out any of the Bartok?)

I left out the Bartok because 1) I don't know the work and 2) I couldn't find timings of the individual pieces. I was assuming they would be few and short.

Regards,
18 177 Read More
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? TessB 2 hours ago
Thanks for the replies, it's reassuring to see I'm not the only one who struggles with ear training. I allow myself to pass on 90 or over but I really think I'm going to drop this to 80.
After reading through previous pages, I've ordered Alfred's all in one book for adult beginners, and I'm going to try to print out the PM pdf at work as I hadn't realised I was missing out on other stuff. I must admit, I had wondered when I'd be starting to use the pedals!!
I think a teacher is pretty inevitable at some stage in the future but just now I'm paying for lessons for my kids so can't also afford them for myself.
1,879 253,280 Read More
Re: Painted ebony keys problem grand_BB_71 2 hours ago
Chipped (painted) black key:

Wanted to post a pic of a chipped area of a G-sharp note on the M&H BB grand as the chips become larger as one continues to play and a finger nail can scrape it off:

[Linked Image]

Should this be happening on a $30K piano?

Was told by the store the keys are supposed to be "original" -- i.e., original to them when the piano was received at the store although they did not know that the black keys would eventually be a problem as no one had decided to test the black keys for durability during the rebuilding process since they probably looked to be just fine at first glance with the glossy and brightly coated appearance. Anyway, two (2) different grands have exhibited exactly the same identical problem. How is this possible?
11 646 Read More
Re: Any learning program that does not need a teacher? ranjit 3 hours ago
I would recommend checking out Josh Wright and Graham Fitch on Youtube if you are serious about learning. Denis Zhdanov also has a good channel.
12 364 Read More
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 35 36
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
anyone recognize this damper system?
by chopin_r_us - 05/13/21 04:57 AM
Started a new blog where I document my progress. Thoughts?
by BlizzardPiano - 05/13/21 12:36 AM
Choosing from repertoire for a senior recital?
by chopinliszt27 - 05/12/21 10:54 PM
Garritan Piano- Note stops playing glitch?
by chrono cross - 05/12/21 09:00 PM
ISAAC Hammers
by brdwyguy - 05/12/21 08:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,900
Posts3,092,980
Members101,496
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission