Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (BachToTheFuture, AndyP, 7uturu, akc42, 13 invisible), 484 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Adult Beginners Forum
4 hours ago
After some time off (due to an injury and work) I am back in to it again. As much as I would love to see where I would be musically without ever taking breaks, sometimes longer than desired, that is not necessarily where my life has fit. But now, after a long break recovering from an injury and a new job with no more travel, diving back in to classical piano again.

And looking to take lessons again. I could go back to my initial teacher, I liked her, and had a good rapport with her. But, I don't think I was getting what I needed from her. And that is where the questions I have come in. There are numerous posts, guides and articles on finding a teacher, all are valid and give good guidance. But, those are also from the perspective of an absolute beginner. I am not. Although I am a beginner on piano, I understand music very well from learning and playing many other instruments. I can read sheet music. I know music theory. I also know how my hands feel, and how to train them to play with minimal tension (I say minimal, because with *no* tension at all they would just be floppy)

What I don't know is the proper position, amount of wrist, etc all the technical details of building this muscle memory correctly, so I do not end up limited, having to retrain, etc.

Maybe I am overthinking all of this. I could be over compartmentalizing all of this. I am probably over focusing on this. But, from my personal experience of playing different instruments over the last 40 years, this is also the area that has given me the most problems.

And I talked to her about it, explained where I was coming from. Her response was that she tried not to be overly critical of beginners, but she would start pointing out more things to me. And she did. Things like I missed a flat sign, or did not hold a note quite long enough while sight reading. On technique it still remained "don't worry, that will just happen." Now, I know from my own personal experience, that is not the case, and what I tried to point out. Granted, what she pointed out was not wrong, and I *do* value that feedback, I am looking for something more.

I guess my questions are not so much on how to look for a teacher (lots of material out there on that) but more like *what* should I be looking for in a teacher?

And all the while, when I read and play the music, when it goes from pianissimo to forte, I Neve think "Oh, it's getting louder" and instead I am thinking and feeling "my sadness churns to anger. Or my timidness boils to frustration."
0 56 Read More
Piano Forum
Yesterday at 04:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone can figure out this partial score? I did check most of Bach keyboard repertory. It is in 2/4 and i suppose 0 to 1 to 2 flats.
Thanks for you help!
[img]http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/olliebass/media/hiddensong_zpsshw23bpp.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1[/img]

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/olliebass/media/hiddensong_zpsshw23bpp.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1
0 76 Read More
Pianist Corner
Yesterday at 03:07 AM
Does anyone know any good abstract piano concertos similar to these? or any crazy wild concertos

Mosolov's concerto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5msfCKCL2Q

or Adigezalov's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFE1yOvV81M
0 92 Read More
Piano Forum
04/18/18 10:19 PM
Our April 2018 Free Newsletter dedicated to everything piano is out now...

https://pianoworld.com/piano-tour-in-europe-so-much-more/
0 349 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
04/17/18 05:35 AM
0 114 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
04/16/18 08:45 PM
I’d like to take either the Dip ABRSM or the LTCL exams. I grew up with the ABRSM system, and only recently looked at the Trinity. Are they regarded equally?
0 126 Read More
EVENTS! Piano Concerts, Recitals, Competitions, and Workshops
04/16/18 08:14 PM
The Frederick Piano Collection in Ashburnham, MA presents their

33rd Spring Season - Historical Piano Concerts

[Linked Image]

Our friends at the Frederick Historic Piano Collection have announced their concert lineup for 2018.
It looks like it will be one of their best!

Kathy and I will try to attend some, I hope you can make it too. May 13 and May 27 look particularly interesting to us.
We've had the pleasure of attending an Olga Vinokur concert before, and the 27th looks like a really fun program.

But then again, they are all good. And we love that they are performed on period instruments from the Frederick Collection.

For more information, please visit their web site
0 111 Read More
04/15/18 10:26 PM
High Point University
2018 4th Annual Piano Competition

Funded by the Randall Thomas Johnson Trust.
$10,000 in prizes (among 3 finalists)

For pianists ages 15-25 who reside in the United States.

Application with DVD or YouTube submission by July 1, 2018

September 8, 2018
High Point, NC

Additonal Details Here
mdills@highpoint.edu
0 85 Read More
Just For The Fun of It
04/15/18 08:06 PM
From a post on Facebook...

(Kudos to John Atkinson, Wrong Hands)

[Linked Image]

- FB
0 71 Read More
04/15/18 07:21 PM
Waring International Piano Competition 2019

Junior & Intermediate 2019
Competitions > Junior & Intermediate 2019

Competition dates are
March 24 – April 1, 2019.

Download a PDF of the 2019 Rules and Regulations
Competition Divisions

The Waring sponsors three competition divisions:
Junior (pianists through age 12)
Intermediate (pianists ages 13 through 17)
Senior (pianists ages 18 through 30)

Eligibility is determined by age on the first day of the Competition.

The Competition is held biennially with the Junior and Intermediate Competitions scheduled for 2019 and the Senior Competition scheduled for 2021.

All pianists must participate in the Solo and may participate in the Concerto competition. Separate awards are given for both solo and concerto divisions.

Additional Details Here.
0 73 Read More
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos
04/15/18 02:11 PM
Experimenting with carbon fiber shanks/flanges from WNG in 2nd capo area of my 1929 Steinert. There is a subtle, but noticeable, difference in power transferred to the strings.
0 113 Read More
Piano Forum
04/15/18 12:57 PM
I have done a search on the forums before posting and can't seem to find anyone who has actually got this system.

When I was 11 I was taken to the Dale Forty showroom in Cheltenham to choose an upgrade to my Dale Forty piano. The one I fancied was a Bechstein but I didn't have any choice! Probably too expensive. So my fantasy now is something like the B124 or the Hoffman 131, maybe with the vario system. But is that system any good? Does it affect the acoustic piano in any way?
0 159 Read More
FAQ - Tuner-Technicians Forum
04/13/18 07:38 PM
1926 L. Piano rebuilt with Steinway parts in 2011. Just bought piano 2 months ago and since then it makes too much noise when Damper lifts via pedal or with individual notes. My tech says the damper felt still too soft thus creating noise whenever lifted . I feel it’s too much noise regardless. Damper seems to lift at correct time.

Any ideas if this newness is the case or what can I do to repair? Just for comparison, played 6-8 new pianos, Steinway and other brands, in showroom recently and none made this much noise.

Thanks!
0 28 Read More
Pianist Corner
04/13/18 03:39 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/arts/music/shai-wosner-schubert-piano-sonatas.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Fclassical-music-reviews
0 215 Read More
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for new teacher. Or do I need a coach?
by Zilthy. 04/20/18 12:15 AM
Do many people feel insecure about classical music?
by pianoloverus. 04/19/18 04:31 PM
Parents (and Students) that Energize Me
by Dr. Rogers. 04/19/18 02:36 PM
Kawai Novus repair question...
by ADWyatt. 04/19/18 02:16 PM
Bosie 214VC manufacturer's video
by Sanfrancisco. 04/19/18 02:10 PM
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,143
Posts2,711,282
Members90,024
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission