Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
69 registered members (Aaron W, agraffe, anotherscott, asb37, 21 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Teachers Forum
Yesterday at 12:49 PM
Hi teachers,

What are your thoughts on entering students in festivals/competitions? Which ones are your favorites in terms of student development? The reason I am asking is that I just moved to a new city and am getting ready to join some of the festival organizations again.

I used to be active in The Federation of Music Clubs as a teacher and an adjudicator. I think the performance experience is great. However, I have 2 concerns.

First, it is very time-consuming for me and for my students and parents. I think some of them feel pressure to participate but would rather not.

Second, how much do students really get out of it? I see a lot of super well-prepared kids (which is great) but I know that many are playing below their ability level. Plus, in my opinion, not enough students participate in sight reading and improvisation which I feel are key elements in creating lifelong pianists.

Also, it seems (at the Federation anyway) that just about everyone gets a rating of superior.

On the positive side, having to polish and play something for a festival is a wonderful experience. I found that it is motivating for students. I do hold bi-yearly recitals for my studio in addition to any outside festivals.

Thanks,
0 62 Read More
Just For The Fun of It
06/22/18 04:46 PM
I like talking about games, it gets me excited haha. I love playing street fighter since I grow up playing those. I have personally experiences from the good old low quality street fighter 1 to the new Street fighter 4, 5 and X tekken. The quality has improved by a whole lot. They added a lot of combos and features. They also made theme songs for each character! I used to only be able to play with my brother on ps1. But now on Xbox and ps3, I can play with other people all around the world and get ranking. This game is my favourite one.
0 14 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
06/22/18 10:51 AM
It is interesting to know whether participants in the forum practice creating a preliminary emotional script for improvisation, even spontaneous ; so to say, the plan for emotional improvisation ?

https://www.medicaldaily.com/emotio...ppiness-activates-different-brain-367718
0 123 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner
06/19/18 08:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzzc6CZ-lCw

I think my remake of this is better than the previous attempt (see vid description).

Which one do you prefer?
The piano on the remake was a NY Steinway B, and the first attempt was on a Hamburg Steinway D cool
0 56 Read More
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos
06/19/18 07:54 PM
Its a pretty big deal when someone learns a new musical instrument, let alone when they're 63 years old and that instrument is a piano.This story is about my journey and how it led me to Bonnie Prince Charlie.
0 340 Read More
Member Recordings
06/19/18 02:47 PM
This is the first song I've written after suffering a guitarists block and buying a piano.

0 22 Read More
Pianist Corner
06/19/18 08:49 AM
I once listened to Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit while reading a score that had the poems printed on the it, not separate from the music but along with it, like lyrics to a song, both in French and English. It was a revelation. I had no idea how minutely Ravel had followed the poem, with each line, each phrase clearly distinguished and illustrated in the music. I'd love to see that score again. Maybe it was on YouTube, since that's about the only place I listen to music while reading the score, but I can't find it there now. Or maybe I did find the score separately somewhere. (It's easy to find the poems printed separate from the music, but I'm looking for them together, as I said, like lyrics printed with the music for a song.) Anyway, if anybody knows where I can find that score again, I would VERY much appreciate it.
0 89 Read More
06/19/18 02:58 AM
We’re pretty excited about our new piano. Our sons have been studying hard and are ready for the upgrade. My wife is a professional Mezzo-Soprano and it’s great to have a quality piano in the house.

New strings/pins/hammers/keytops/damper felts. It plays nicely.
0 22 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner
06/18/18 08:41 PM
0 37 Read More
FAQ - Piano Forum
06/18/18 08:39 PM
My daughter has been touring in Israel for a few weeks. Two piano brands she ran into are Petro and Adolph Ernst Voigt. Can someone tell me a bit about those brands, please?
0 42 Read More
FAQ - Piano Forum
06/18/18 05:19 PM
We're acquiring a grand for our granddaughter. It has come down to a 1928 Mason AA completely rebuilt and a 2012 Pramberger 6'10", the max size for the room. She said she loves the Pram. She hasnt played the Mason. Me, the Bank, I love the Mason. Any comments out there?
0 26 Read More
FAQ - Piano Forum
06/18/18 06:39 AM
Hey everyone
So I found a Denon CEP 753 in a family members storeroom. The only thing on the entire internet I could find on this model was a photo from a 1970 Denon Catalogue. Does this mean the model is rare or a collectable? I have found absolutely no information about it! Please help.
0 17 Read More
06/17/18 03:45 PM
This is my fathers day present 2018
0 37 Read More
Piano Forum
06/17/18 10:58 AM
Hello,
I have a Pianodisc PDS 128 that I had installed on my piano back in 1992. It uses the 3.5" floppy disks and still works perfectly. Does anyone know if I can replace the controller unit with a PDS 128 Plus or the CD unit without making modifications to the rest of the system? I'm especially interested in buying a used CD unit. The connections on the rear of the unit look to be the same as mine. I'm only really interested if this could be a plug and play installation and I don't have to do anything else to the overall system. I've seen several working units on eBay and would love to get one as a back up to have in case my unit ever fails.

Unfortunately, my unit is one version too old to convert easily to the newest ipad controlled system. I am told it will cost $6500 to upgrade to this system.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
0 108 Read More
06/17/18 06:42 AM
VarIII measure 10
0 26 Read More
06/17/18 06:28 AM
VarIII measure 2
0 14 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
06/16/18 11:30 PM
Hi All
In the below vid I explore how to build up and develop your improvisation from scratch, starting really simple, as a complete beginner might start improvising, and slowly build up to something much more complex and interesting. Check it out if you're interested smile

How to Develop Your Improvisation from Beginner to Advanced
0 154 Read More
06/16/18 09:04 PM
Clementi Upright Grand of 1810
0 40 Read More
06/16/18 09:00 PM
this is a test
0 30 Read More
06/16/18 08:47 PM
Pictures of my roland fp-8
0 27 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
06/16/18 06:11 AM
For anyone who's interested:

Casio AP650 Black Digital Piano

The last time I looked at the Costco webpage this piano was $1899 so it's a pretty good sale. I got mine a few years ago for $1099 as a pre-Christmas sale but I've never seen it that cheap again after that.

I wonder if the AP-650 is being discontinued by Costco since it has a ".97" price on it.
0 148 Read More
06/16/18 03:29 AM
Beethoven, Op. 31, No. 2
0 30 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
06/15/18 10:20 PM
Click over to the themed recital subforum and have a listen to the Debussy Themed Recital.

Presented in memory of Debussy on the 100th anniversary of his death. He wrote some of the most original, challenging, and moving music for the piano, and many of my favorites are in this recital.

Sam
0 141 Read More
Member Recordings - Non Classical Pianist Corner
06/15/18 08:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRYQOG3Ky4

A little improv there...as the YT description says; warming up the old hands in the office one early morning.
0 36 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
06/15/18 04:52 AM
Want to improve your technical skills and have a vacation for you and your spouse at the same time? Come to the Master Piano Technicians convention end of July in Manitou Springs, Colorado (next to Colorado Springs), and you'll BOTH be sure to have a good time!

For those not familiar with MPT, it is a collection of piano technicians who enjoy getting together for a few days in smaller venues attending classes as a group. The emphasis is placed equally on high quality classes, enjoyable tours for the spouse and social activities in the evening for all.

This year, the 2018 convention will be held at Cliff House in Manitou Springs, Colorado starting Sunday evening, July 29th and concluding Wednesday, August 1st. Here is the perfect opportunity to take a short break and spend a few days in Manitou Springs learning new skills, getting to meet fellow technicians and enjoy what Manitou Springs and surrounding area has to offer.
[Linked Image]

Wide range of practical topics with superb instructors:
  • Addressing loose tuning pins
  • Repairing chipped and missing ivory keytops
  • Tackling false beats
  • Upright hammer hanging
  • Things all things piano technicians should know
  • Pure 12th tuning
  • String stretching and settling

Spouse tours with a private bus to all events:

Click on 2018 Master Piano Technicians Convention and take a look at the details including how to register for the convention and book a room. Let me stress, this is designed not only for the piano technician but for the spouse as well.

Don't delay, hotel deadline for booking a room is June 29th!

If you have any questions or want more information you can post it to this thread for I'm sure others probably have the same questions. Also, the contact information is in the link above or you can e-mail me direct Jim@BlackForestPiano.com
0 162 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX6 heavy action
by Radio.Octave. 06/23/18 03:50 PM
Accident-prone accidentals in printed music
by FrankCox. 06/23/18 02:01 PM
Reyburn Grand Cyberhammer
by Miguel Rey. 06/23/18 12:37 PM
Should I say goodbye?
by eyeluvlucy. 06/23/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,108
Posts2,726,943
Members90,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission