Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
108 registered members (anamnesis, ando, almo82, AaronSF, ajames, agent8698, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, 24 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Forum
21 minutes ago
So I've seen a real bargain - 2008 Schimmel K230 going for a song.
I'll have a tech check it out - although not sure what to expect. It's clearly been a 'hire' piano, for events and stuff. Probably more the rock and pop genre than classical.

I've tried some S&S ex-hire pianos before that were knackered. Others were still in pretty good shape.

How well would a Schimmel of this size (and quality) have held out after 10 years on the hire circuit? I don't know this model, so don't know how fundamentally sturdy they're likely to be.

Any thoughts? Speculative, of course... smile
0 11 Read More
Pianist Corner
51 minutes ago
Well, There is the 1987 official recording, but as I understand there is no recording of his appearance from the 1986 recital, his return to the Concertgebouw after 50 years of absence.

Except: There is a recording.

Please enjoy the excerpts:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sSylto5caW1Do8y39jYCUWu8_GIv4hGK (Schubert/Liszt - Soirées de Vienne No. 6)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EnGLvYf6N5i_6tiUXeo0yutNPfSSVzc9 (Moszkowski - Etincelles)

Yes, I was there.
0 13 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
8 hours ago
Hi all,

Quick question - does YC still provide action brackets at no cost? If so, (or even if not), who do I call? I tried the number I have on file and it does not work.

Thanks all,
0 52 Read More
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos
9 hours ago
Having just returned from the Shanghai Music Show I was going over the photos I took. The show was really fantastic - both in floor space and visitors. For those interested, I have posted some pictures.
0 71 Read More
EVENTS! Piano Concerts, Recitals, Competitions, and Workshops
19 hours ago
We are pleased to welcome Alex Kerstan from the Steingraeber & Sohne Factory - Bayreuth, Germany, to our showroom this Wednesday evening, October 24th.
All are welcome to listen to a presentation on the Steingraeber piano production and historical legacy of the Steingraeber brand.
Doors open at 6pm and the evening will conclude 8-8:30pm.
181 King Rd.
Richmond Hill, ON L4E 2W1

Please rsvp so we can accommodate all in attendance.
0 30 Read More
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Decided to get some cheap thrills for lunchtime :)
0 20 Read More
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
This chart is needed to properly design piano soundboards.
0 23 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
10/21/18 04:07 PM
I'm a happy camper...

0 118 Read More
Piano Forum
10/20/18 02:14 PM
For those that might be interested,there's a 44 note Wurlitzer butterfly child's piano on the Raleigh NC craigslist.Owner says she doesn't know if it's ever been tuned and there's many years of dirt on the soundboard.I was interested until I saw pix of the soundboard..$300.00
0 94 Read More
10/19/18 01:20 PM
I introduces another little black box to my other one yesterday; a fine looking matching pair of bass practice amps. The resonance is comfortably below that which issues from the piano so there's no real uncontrollable spike of sound somewhere down the keyboard.

So; I tries 'em out as you do; each little amp has in addition to the volume control, four tone controls from bass to treble. By fiddling with such, I got a very acceptable, fairly spacious sound which didn't have to be too loud for practice.
Even my wife was quite struck, especially when the Petrof was being aired, which surprised me. She was listening in another room and thought that piano sounded very natural.

I then realised I'd pulled out the headphone socket, so the piano's own backwards facing speakers were making their presence heard. Pushing the h'phone socket back in made a lot of difference to the overall sound and preliminary attempts to rectify this were not entirely successful!

Maybe it's just more time needed, I don't know. I wonder if anyone here has thoughts on this? Four speakers (even mediocre ones) better than two?
0 126 Read More
10/18/18 09:05 PM
Project in motion
0 66 Read More
Composer's Lounge
10/18/18 03:10 PM
0 31 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
10/17/18 03:40 PM
Rebuilding a Chickering Grand circa 1902, "F" scale (63 tenor-treble unisons.) It seems to have been restrung once before, and that technician put no understring felt between the agraffes and the tuning pins, where there is a gradual 1/2" ramp in the plate leading up to the pins, with the wires pressing hard against the ramp. I know some techs prefer to avoid felt on a ramp, allowing the string to slide directly against the metal plate, because ramps like that can cause the wires to "hang up" and jump during tuning, and the felt can increase the drag, making the tuning even harder.

I have no reference for whether or not this 1902 Chickering originally had understring felt on the ramp...perhaps one of you who has restrung even more pianos than me (I've done about 750) knows whether felt was originally there. Of course, for cosmetics, my tendency would be to add some nice thin red understring felt across the whole width of the plate, but I don't want to risk increasing string drag & hanging up if it doesn't belong there.

Thanks friends.
0 100 Read More
10/15/18 11:06 PM
For Sir Andras Schiff's Schubert concert October 2018.
0 50 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
10/15/18 10:31 AM
Hi all,

Stumbled upon this and was trying to figure out some of the intro, and I was hoping some here might help. So the first chord is an F#add9. That seems to be followed by some sort of jazz chord that's played in such a way to make it hard to hear the root, which I think is G#. Then it goes to somethign that seems to be Bb rooted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8tMiqxNec

Can anyone tell me the rest of the intro?

Thank you
0 83 Read More
Member Recordings
10/15/18 01:08 AM
YouTube Link:

https://youtu.be/4ZjiYFNJSoA

Hi everyone!

I put a film together of the first 3 levels in the classic and original Sonic the hedgehog game. For those of us who grew up playing them, it will surely bring back so much nostalgia. I absolutely adored playing those games as a child and I hope to one day bring them to my own. I hope you guys enjoy the filmography. I try to make it as astounding and enjoyable as possible.

Please check the video out and don't be afraid to reach out to me for suggestions or feedback. I always reply. Also following, subscribing, and sharing my video will be fully appreciated.

Thank you!
0 20 Read More
MY NEW PIANO or KEYBOARD! - Share Your Story!
10/14/18 10:44 PM
I have recently acquired a piano from my local pub. Its wonderfuly out of tune and a bit beat up but it looks wonderful. I canwas hoping that some one could give me a bit of info on it as i can not for the life of me find anything on a Google search.

First off it has J.T. Sennf Hamburg written on it. But that's all i can find.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
0 66 Read More
10/14/18 07:11 PM
bonjour, je peux acheter pour le même prix soit Yamaha ydp s34 ou P125 (avec la meuble). Pourriez vous me dire quelle est la différence entre les deux. Tous ce que m'intéresse c'est la fonction du piano, a quel point c'est proche du piano acoustique(touché et son).
merci
0 70 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
10/14/18 04:13 PM
I'll be visiting Rome for a week later this month. I'd love to be able to practice there on a decent acoustic piano, and I'm willing to pay a fair price to do so.

Does anyone here know of a venue that would rent me time with a reasonably decent acoustic piano in or near the center city?

Thankful for any suggestions!
0 91 Read More
Mechanical Musical Instruments
10/14/18 01:05 PM
I'd really like a jukebox in the house, particularly one from the "Silver Age." But my wife said ten years ago I had enough kit in our house and I couldn't disagree.

So I have these in the front room that give me the "nostalgia" element, reminding us of our youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXFX8TK3tjU

With two wall boxes I can have 2 X 160 mp3 choices. No "B" sides as you would with vinyl. You can play only the number of tracks for which the wall box was designed. But it's easy enough to change the iTunes play lists.
The adapter recognises which make and model of wall box you have by the particular code you name the playlist.
The slight noise you can hear when I change over the connections is the 25v transformer a few inches away behind the cassette rack, that powers the wall boxes. My camera picks it up, but you can't normally hear it

I do have two jukeboxes in our Japanese tea-house at the bottom of the garden. But It would be foolish to pay out for an expensive one to keep in a glorified shed. So I have these.

Nice to listen to music in the shade in the garden on a hot sunny afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISeRK8vCa1M

0 46 Read More
10/13/18 10:14 AM
I recently changed from a PSR 1000 I'd had for nearly twenty years to a Tyros 5.

We've a lot of lighting in our house.
We don't use any centre ceiling lights, only wall uplighters or table lamps with dark shades.

This I believe is a "woman's thing."

Sometimes I think I'm burning a lot of electricity, but I'm "practically groping around in the dark."

We have four of these nice ceramic uplighters in "my den" (our front room).
Two are over my Tyros, but I was finding it increasingly difficult to read the music on the stand.
It was no problem with my old PSR1000 as the music was nearer.

This is a daytime photo, it's really darker than my "clever"camera makes it appear.

[Linked Image]

Now I'm sure many have sophisticated illumination solutions. But I wanted a cheap and effective method of my own.

So bought one of these on eBay. It has two levels of illumination, runs on three AA rechargeable batteries and comes with a plug/charger and a USB lead. It has 24 hours battery life on the high setting.

[Linked Image]

Clipping it to the top of the music stand wasn't really practical. But "where there's a will, there's a way."

I fixed a stainless steel rod I had in the garage, remnants of an old floor lamp to the underside of the two bars of the cheap stand that supports the piano, using a few turns of insulating tape. A five minute job.... I've dragged it forward to demonstate. I pushed the piano further back when I'd finshed.

[Linked Image]

The lamp is clipped to the bar and the flexible arm passes under the stand and is behind the lift up piano screen.

[Linked Image]

You can pull the lamp towards you to gve a wider spread, but I don't find that necssary.

[Linked Image]

Then push it back so the screen can be lowered without fouling the lamp. I'm fine with it in this position.

[Linked Image]

Job accomplished for a few pounds.

You'd think Yamaha would have addressed this problem.

Maybe they will in the future.

The music stand isn't very tall. It's only just slightly taller than half of an A4 sheet of MS paper. It wasn't practical to clip the light to the top, it would have been rubbing against the wall.

I'd worked out what I wanted to do with the lamp and took a chance on ordering it.

It really does look as if it was an "optional extra."

[Linked Image]

Although the USB lead is rather short, it won't reach the wall sockets. So I've ordered an extension. But that was only £1.49, post free.
0 156 Read More
10/13/18 02:01 AM
Hi all--I wanted to get some opinions on matching the following keyboard sounds...I think these are all a bit similar in sound and popular in the 80s-90s but I have had some trouble matching them on Omnisphere/Keyscape...would appreciate any help!

https://youtu.be/T4OZ0JJDNk0

https://youtu.be/Io7_3tlE7h0

https://youtu.be/17ysGqMocbw
(about 25 seconds in)
0 99 Read More
Pianist Corner
10/12/18 04:37 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/arts/music/igor-levit-life.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Fclassical-music-reviews

NY Times article about Igor Levit's new CD.
0 164 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
10/12/18 09:42 AM
Hi All

I've made a video analysing the 5 solos in the Jazz Standard 'Straight, No Chaser', by Miles Davis, on the Milestones album. It's a bit long, but check it out if you're interested:

Analysing a Jazz Solo
0 111 Read More
FAQ - Tuner-Technicians Forum
10/12/18 06:45 AM
Hi,

I bought a Schultze Pollmann upright 132A. It has the has the decorative Ebony Peacock Gloss front panels, top and bottom, of the Studio Upgrade series. In the show room, when the sales person was looking for the sold tag behind the bottom panel, he found a package containing three plain ebony panels. He finally figured out that those could replace the solid panel with the Peacock effect. I noticed on the Schultze Pollmann website that the regular Studio series 132A is pictured with three panels, while the other models are all with single panal.

So, why would the 132 have three panels rather than one? Why would my piano have come with extra panels? Do these extra panels have some different accoustical properties? Is there some accoustical reason to play with one but not all of the lower panels off?

I have written an email to Schulze Pollmann and have gotten only auto response.

Such a mystery! Anyone have a clue about this?
0 46 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel K230 (2008) opinions?
by precise. 10/23/18 06:00 PM
Henle Urtext
by cmb13. 10/23/18 05:50 PM
Headphones - Amp - Focals - Grados
by Bruce In Philly. 10/23/18 02:42 PM
Mass-Produced Steinway Rebuilds - opinions pls
by precise. 10/23/18 02:17 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,958
Posts2,755,065
Members91,318
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission