2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (ChickenBrother, BillS728, dannylux, David Lai, Bostonmoores, 36251, 11 invisible), 829 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK that makes more sense! I have often wondered if strings had to be replaced, if that would make the pins looser or not? So that helps! I can see that when replacing multiple strings a new pinblock would best compared to just replacing one or two where that may not be required.(especially if the dealer has the facilities to do the work)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"but replacing the pin block on a C3 doesn't raise any alarm bells to me about the quality of the piano's construction. It just tells me it has been played a lot!"[/quote Joe Fleetwood]

I do remember reading about a new CBechstein developing a cracked soundboard here on PW.The piano was under warranty.Bechstein actually replaced the piano for a new one.The customer I am sure was gratefull that the manufacturer warranty worked so well for them.

All I was thinking is that serious problems can develope even in the best pianos which includes Yamaha pianos.However it is nice to know that, that was not the case in this situation.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

R
RobAC Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I always like to be the last one to play when taking turns.

Wow! I always want to go first! For one thing, I'm too nervous waiting and so I can't enjoy the other musicians as much. For another, the longer I wait, the more nervous I get! grin

Sorry to hijack this thread, maybe if you have a minute Rick, you might start a new thread and share some details about the event? (who played what, what was the piano?) smile

Hi, Dr. ShiroKuro. Yes, I wouldn't won't to hijack Rob's thread any more than I already have; but sometimes it just works that way. And, I suppose it is not all bad, and helps keep the thread bumped to the top of the forum, and helps keep the interest peaked? Maybe? smile

As for the piano we played, I believe it was a Kawai GL-10 (5') or GL-20 (5'2") baby grand. I do remember sitting close enough to the piano to see a tag on the right front leg that said "Made in Indonesia". The piano was well tuned and sounded good. Since the issue of heavy actions has been discussed lately (in other threads) the action did feel a bit heavier than what I'm used to. But it did have a nice tone.

I'll post a new thread about the Piano Buddies group event, with pics, later, when I get them in a few days, for those who are interested. I did have a great time, heard some great piano music, and had some good fellowship with some good piano friends!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... smile

Rick
I certainly don't mind, personally.

Yamaha S4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RobAC
[quote=Rickster]I always like to be the last one to play when taking turns.

Wow! I always want to go first! For one thing, I'm too nervous waiting and so I can't enjoy the other musicians as much. For another, the longer I wait, the more nervous I get! grin

Sorry to hijack this thread, maybe if you have a minute Rick, you might start a new thread and share some details about the event? (who played what, what was the piano?) smile

Hi, Dr. ShiroKuro. Yes, I wouldn't won't to hijack Rob's thread any more than I already have; but sometimes it just works that way. And, I suppose it is not all bad, and helps keep the thread bumped to the top of the forum, and helps keep the interest peaked? Maybe? smile

As for the piano we played, I believe it was a Kawai GL-10 (5') or GL-20 (5'2") baby grand. I do remember sitting close enough to the piano to see a tag on the right front leg that said "Made in Indonesia". The piano was well tuned and sounded good. Since the issue of heavy actions has been discussed lately (in other threads) the action did feel a bit heavier than what I'm used to. But it did have a nice tone.

I'll post a new thread about the Piano Buddies group event, with pics, later, when I get them in a few days, for those who are interested. I did have a great time, heard some great piano music, and had some good fellowship with some good piano friends!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... smile

Rick
I certainly don't mind, personally.[/quote RobAC]

That is kind of you RobAC
I can only assume that Kawai pianos have changed since the last time I played them.I do not remember them having a heavy action.Also that youtube phone call to Sam that Rick posted was that you or a family member? (talking about humidty control and care of instruments?) The discussion was interesting and I learned a few things.Congratulations on your new Yamaha S4 piano!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm just catching up on this thread and appreciate the unsolicited promotion from the former owner. I like that he has a vested interest in his former piano, and he discovered it by messaging me just hours after I'd made the demo video.

In truth, nothing about the use or wear on this piano was excessive. I need to raise awareness that its actually very common for Yamaha's that tune smoothly and beautifully when new...experience low torque by mid-life. Low torque doesn't always lead to instability, but if the environment isn't optimal, it's a real factor.

Sometimes low-torque is addressed by tapping the pins lower to increase their contact with the pinblock. Sometimes pianos are re-strung with oversized pins. In this particular case, RobAC consulted with his technician to try a CA treatment. Upon reflection, that wasn't the best course of action. CA treatments have their place, but the appeal of a simple, inexpensive and lasting solution doesn't always take into the future expense.

We were not going to resell the piano with the plate covered in superglue and that removed our option to just restring, so a new pinblock was not only warranted, its beneficial for the long term health of the piano. And yes, we do this type of work all the time for universities, giving us an advantage over most piano stores.

Actually, there were no other negative aging or wear aspects with the piano. The original action parts and hammers are in excellent condition, though it was completely disassembled and reassembled to refurbish the parts and get the best alignment after the new pinblock and strings are installed. When we replace a pinblock, its all of the related work that can be done in our shop, that really brings the final result together. That and a lot of polishing of the cabinet. wink

Because the next owner for this piano could be a student, piano teacher or a church, it's now back on track to be that sturdy, reliable and desirable instrument for decades to come.

Rickster, I'm wondering what excuse it will take for you to finally make it to our area, so I'll nudge you again here to try. I know you would have fun, and I'd have fun being your host.

tre corda, that video was made by another forum member that recorded our phone conversation without my knowledge. It was certainly bothersome to learn about it after the fact, but then I wasn't too concerned about the advise we give publicly or privately. That photo is quite old. I have a beard with some gray in it now. tired smile

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Rickster, I'm wondering what excuse it will take for you to finally make it to our area, so I'll nudge you again here to try. I know you would have fun, and I'd have fun being your host.

I think my drive to PianoWorks is slightly farther than Rick's, but still within driving distance. Once of these days, we need to coordinate and make a visit together (and invite all the other SE USA PW folks!) smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I think my drive to PianoWorks is slightly farther than Rick's, but still within driving distance. Once of these days, we need to coordinate and make a visit together (and invite all the other SE USA PW folks!) smile

Let me know when you plan to visit PianoWorks, Dr. ShiroKuro, and I will try my best to visit on that day and time as well. I'd love to hear you play in person, and maybe you could teach me a few words in Japanese. smile

In all honesty, I don't like driving to/through Atlanta unless it is absolutely necessary or an emergency. I have my reasons, and won't mention them here.

Of course, Duluth is a bit north of Atlanta, and I wouldn't mind taking the long way around Atlanta to get to Duluth. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ah, you know I think I knew that (that it's on the north side of ATL) -- take makes it easier for me, but we really hate driving on 85! whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
tre corda, that video was made by another forum member that recorded our phone conversation without my knowledge. It was certainly bothersome to learn about it after the fact, but then I wasn't too concerned about the advise we give publicly or privately. That photo is quite old. I have a beard with some gray in it now. tired smile[/quote]

Thank you for explaining Sam, I was a little confused.The advice you gave was excellent and much appreciated.That Yamaha piano certainly sounded wonderful.Its a pity I am so far otherwise I would love to visit your store.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning Yamaha CP-70
by MSnow - 05/23/22 09:38 PM
Recording myself for immediate playback
by GregR - 05/23/22 07:57 PM
Yamaha sound - am I being fair?
by GregR - 05/23/22 07:46 PM
Deposit placed on new Sauter
by pianomanatee - 05/23/22 07:25 PM
Kawai GL30 or Boston 156?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/23/22 05:06 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,201
Posts3,194,007
Members105,350
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission