Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
96 registered members (bobrunyan, anamnesis, anotherscott, 36251, brendon, 30 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gear Poll [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2842686
04/26/19 02:37 PM
04/26/19 02:37 PM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
So, Mr/MS puremusic......

1) How do you like playing your keyboard through those big JBLs? Why such a sound system and not little cheap powered monitors?
2) What are you plugging your headphones into? Denon? Keyboard? You may like the sound of your headphones more if you buy a little dedicated headphone amp

Not at all that much but at 16m² there have to be compromises. The JBLs are there for occasional music/movie listening and just get used for piano playing because they are there. I do not have the space to fut another pair (or any pair) of speakers properly for playing the piano. Since my neighbor throws tantrums the minute he hears some resemblance of a bass note, speakers are not a priority for me at all. ._.

No headamp needed so far, Titanium HD can drive up to 300Ω loads easily. I typically stay below 25% volume.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std / Pearl Alto Flute 201
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2843026
04/27/19 03:34 PM
04/27/19 03:34 PM
PA
puremusic Offline OP
puremusic  Offline OP

PA
I've tried other speakers but the JBL brand just have the sound I enjoy the most. I have the headphones hooked up to my RME HDSP 9632. Actually the headphones sound great through the Denon, but having them plugged in there shuts down the speakers, and I don't want to plug them in and take them out every time I use them.

While I considered monitor speakers, I want some felt vibrato, some lower frequency oomph without a subwoofer. My headphones are fine for a reference check for material I've composed, but the JBL brand speakers are what I enjoy for listening to for my material the most. Actually my JBL Loft 30s, which I use as well as the Arena towers, are really great for long term listening fatigue free listening, due no doubt to their lack of range. More detail does not equal more musical enjoyment all the time, often it means less, as a lot of material has detail you're really not supposed to be listening to on your studio monitors..

Because the people mixing and mastering the music, finalized it to be listened to on an iphone and consumer speakers, not on the studio monitors. So they upped a lot of frequencies to come out right on those, which spoils them for enjoyment otherwise. But that's what the audience being aimed for is using -- the iphone, not the reference monitors. There's something to be said for sweet consumer speakers. laugh

Some music sounds better on some speakers, some on others, you have to make the choice that suits your music taste, your particular amount of hearing damage, and your particular piano's sound. laugh

-- Mr. Puremusic

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
Re: Gear Poll [Re: iLogic] #2843085
04/27/19 09:24 PM
04/27/19 09:24 PM
Aberdeen, UK
R
RichieBill Offline
RichieBill  Offline
R

Aberdeen, UK
Piano: Roland FP-30
Speakers: Neumann KH120
Headphones: DT990pro, ATH-M50X
Amps/receivers: None
VST: Synthogy Ivory II Grand Pianos (german Steinway only)

Piano: I like and I to accept my FP-30 as a budget piano. I assess FP-30 for keyboard action - 7/10, ivory touch - 9/10 and SN engine piano sound -8/10. I don't like FP-30 for: poor rest of sounds, bit slow and a little bit too heavy keyboard action and lack of line outs the most. I think about change to Kawai RHIII action (I am dreaming about GF but too expencive for me).

Speakers: I love playing on Synthogy Ivory through the KH120 (10/10) but most often I am enjoying to listen music on them using Fiio X5 player. It was my best investition on music/audio equipment.

Headphones: Playing on piano for pleasure and listening music I am using DT990pro, but for all recordings I am using ATH-M50X. I like DT990pro for decent sound, wide stereo, comfort on ears and power together with my amp. I like ATH-M50X for details but highest frequencies sometimes are bit too sharp for me. Also ear cups could be bit bigger. Today I regret selling AKG K550 - great comfort of big ear cups, almost like a plates, great wide stereo as a closed back headphones, pure and sweet medium frequencies, especially playing/listening piano and listening vocals/choirs.

VST: I love sound of german Steinway in my Synthogy Ivory but my Windows 7 is not too friendly environment for VSTs. I am never completely relaxed playing on VST, always expecting bugs, hang ups and other frustrating problems and that cause ...
Originally Posted by newer player

- Looking to move away from VST towards digital piano with good on-board sounds.

... the same I think about come back to hardware piano only. I considering: Nord piano or Nord grand but both are very expencive for me, the same like Korg Grandstage and Kawai MP11SE. Maybe I will buy something in medium budget like Kawai MP7SE or ES8 - I don't know yet.

Originally Posted by Granyala
... not so satisfied with my beginner skills.

Me too, I am disappointed my skills. I don't have last time enough time to play longer, let alone practicing frequently. I feel backward in my skills.

Roland FP-30 | Synthogy Ivory II GP | Production Voices CG | Dexed | Zoom MS-70CDR | Reaper | Neumann KH120 | Mackie Big Knob Passive | DT-990 pro | ATH-M50X
Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2843091
04/27/19 10:37 PM
04/27/19 10:37 PM
PA
puremusic Offline OP
puremusic  Offline OP

PA
One reason I don't want to move back to hardware piano sound is because the lack of latency compared to my VSTs throws me off. My VSTs work with very low latency, but the difference is still palpable. My hardware rack sound modules too have that slight latency. So the digital piano would be the only odd man out unless I figured out some way to reroute the sound to intentionally induce latency.

My RME card has been glitch free for VSTs both on W7 and W10. Not happy with my skill level either, I need to practice much more. Happily I do have the time for more. Maybe we should have a competition with the top three winners being the least skilled piano players.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2843129
04/28/19 06:30 AM
04/28/19 06:30 AM
Aberdeen, UK
R
RichieBill Offline
RichieBill  Offline
R

Aberdeen, UK
Originally Posted by puremusic
Maybe we should have a competition with the top three winners being the least skilled piano players.

Hahaha, could be funny - the worst pianist ever on pianoworld forum laugh

Roland FP-30 | Synthogy Ivory II GP | Production Voices CG | Dexed | Zoom MS-70CDR | Reaper | Neumann KH120 | Mackie Big Knob Passive | DT-990 pro | ATH-M50X
Re: Gear Poll [Re: RichieBill] #2843138
04/28/19 07:31 AM
04/28/19 07:31 AM
Celestis
Granyala Offline
500 Post Club Member
Granyala  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Celestis
Originally Posted by RichieBill
Maybe we should have a competition with the top three winners being the least skilled piano players.

You don't stand a chance but thanks for participating. laugh

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Re: Gear Poll [Re: Granyala] #2843176
04/28/19 09:34 AM
04/28/19 09:34 AM
Aberdeen, UK
R
RichieBill Offline
RichieBill  Offline
R

Aberdeen, UK

I think, still I have chance to win that competition and to grab the cup wink

Re: Gear Poll [Re: Granyala] #2843177
04/28/19 09:37 AM
04/28/19 09:37 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

Oh darn. I'm about 14 months too late to give everyone a good run. Fooey. I never win anything. frown

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2843335
04/29/19 03:08 AM
04/29/19 03:08 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
I thought I'd do a quick and short poll of people's gear. The format is fill in the blank below.

--------------------------

Piano: Kawai MP7
Speakers:
Headphones: AudioTechnica MRS7
Amps/Receivers:
Stand: see footer.

Comments: Current set-up fine, awaiting for a jump in technology before considering a new piano. Don't see that happening for another 5 years at current pace.

--------------------------

In the comments you might put how satisfied you are with your current setup, and any extra equipment you consider essential to the above. If you want to include your favorite VST, or preset of your digital piano go for that too.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2843467
04/29/19 01:14 PM
04/29/19 01:14 PM
America
J
Jitin Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jitin  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

America
Piano: p155 (some keys are messed up) and a p515
Speakers: Onboard speakers of pianos, in the past I had krk 5 and hs5 for piano, decided I like internal speakers
Headphones: Sony MDR-7506 (outstanding ) and Audio Technica ATH20
Amps/Receivers:

Comments: I am pretty happy with my pianos, I think they offer great experience and value with these contemporary portable piano with speakers. I am really looking in the future to get a really awesome upright style digital piano or just a real upright like yus5 if conditions permit.

Last edited by Jitin; 04/29/19 01:21 PM.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2843492
04/29/19 03:05 PM
04/29/19 03:05 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Piano FP50
Speakers HIFI allegedly. Wharfedales and now Sonys, used, dating back some years.
Amps Behringer bass practice, 2x15W into above cabs.
Headphones Audiance A2 over ear. £10.

I'm amazed at some of, and the sheer amount of stuff you guys have had . . . .I guess I haven't started really! But I'm happy at what I have. Decent action, (doesn't limit my playing, but then neither did the GHS on my previous DGX) feels good under the fingers and thunks quietly, pleasantly. Or so she says. I can tonify the sound to my liking which is a big plus.
Hope to be able to play Pianoteq through a cabinet piano in the future without having to augment or colour the sound in any way. Sounds like a tall order . . . .Anybody managed this yet? Chip in now!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Gear Poll [Re: peterws] #2843509
04/29/19 04:07 PM
04/29/19 04:07 PM
America
J
Jitin Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jitin  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

America
Originally Posted by peterws
Piano FP50
Speakers HIFI allegedly. Wharfedales and now Sonys, used, dating back some years.
Amps Behringer bass practice, 2x15W into above cabs.
Headphones Audiance A2 over ear. £10.

I'm amazed at some of, and the sheer amount of stuff you guys have had . . . .I guess I haven't started really! But I'm happy at what I have. Decent action, (doesn't limit my playing, but then neither did the GHS on my previous DGX) feels good under the fingers and thunks quietly, pleasantly. Or so she says. I can tonify the sound to my liking which is a big plus.
Hope to be able to play Pianoteq through a cabinet piano in the future without having to augment or colour the sound in any way. Sounds like a tall order . . . .Anybody managed this yet? Chip in now!

Didn't you say you had a clp280? If so why did you get rid of it?

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2843528
04/29/19 06:03 PM
04/29/19 06:03 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I don't remember Peter saying he had a CLP280. But perhaps I'd best leave it to him to answer.

I have a piano similar to (but lesser than) that280. I have a CLP240. It's now eleven years old ... and it's due for a replacement.

Why? Because the action is old style and worn. And the sound sux (which is why I only listen to VIs).
I'm hoping to someday own a piano that behaves like a piano all by itself. The Novus might be the ticket. But the N1X looks like a possible alternative.

Anyway ... I'm 2 years and 2 days from retirement. So I'll be buying one of those around then.

Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2844796
05/03/19 12:16 PM
05/03/19 12:16 PM
R
Robert Plays Keys Offline
Robert Plays Keys  Offline
R

Piano: Roland Juno DS 88
Speakers/Amp: Roland CUBE Lite Monitor
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380 Pro or AKG K-240
Other: Radial Key Largo

Comments: I like my setup. I like the Juno DS 88 due to its relatively light weight, plus the action feels very similar to my Young Chang upright acoustic piano that I've owned for years. The sound isn't the richest I'm playing a Steinway in a concert hall acoustic sound, but it can do the miked up acoustic piano sound well.

Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2844864
05/03/19 04:57 PM
05/03/19 04:57 PM
Essex, UK
W
WTM Offline
WTM  Offline
W

Essex, UK
Piano: Yamaha CLP 685
Speakers: Piano speakers
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650
Amps/Receivers: N/A

Comments: Plugged into MBP, use Garritan CFX Full and PianoTeq Steingraeber and Bechstein.

Yamaha CLP685
Enjoying piano since May 2018
Re: Gear Poll [Re: puremusic] #2844873
05/03/19 05:48 PM
05/03/19 05:48 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Piano: Roland LX7
Speakers: Piano speakers
Headphones: Roland RH-A7
Amps/Receivers: N/A

99% of the time of headphones.

Last edited by Colin Miles; 05/03/19 05:49 PM. Reason: additional comment

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why China is gripped by piano mania
by Tyrone Slothrop. 05/24/19 09:19 PM
Theory and practice
by Marpe. 05/24/19 08:39 PM
Is it possible to rebuild Steinway sound
by Coda9. 05/24/19 08:11 PM
Sulinda sl20 digital piano
by Medhead. 05/24/19 05:30 PM
Charles Walter question
by Chicago-BK. 05/24/19 05:13 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,143
Posts2,831,220
Members93,416
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission