Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Animisha, AprilE, Beakybird, 7uturu, Chrispy, ChrisMH, 20 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Tech-key] #2843321
04/29/19 12:54 AM
04/29/19 12:54 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Tech-key
In one of my earlier jobs, I made the typo crontab -r instead of crontab -e, and hit enter before I could stop myself (this deletes all the scheduled jobs instead of opening the editor). Warnings or backups were not configured on the server. So a horrible, terrible day for me and my poor teammates grin

How horrible, I feel for you Tech-key! It happens to me sometimes that when I close a document and get the question if I want to save it, I click on Don't save. Why????
But at work, your signature could be: Think twice, type once! wink

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Animisha] #2843322
04/29/19 01:00 AM
04/29/19 01:00 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

Originally Posted by Animisha
In one of my earlier jobs, I made the typo crontab -r instead of crontab -e, and hit enter before I could stop myself (this deletes all the scheduled jobs instead of opening the editor). Warnings or backups were not configured on the server. So a horrible, terrible day for me and my poor teammates grin

How horrible, I feel for you Tech-key! It happens to me sometimes that when I close a document and get the question if I want to save it, I click on Don't save. Why????

Many years ago, I had an employee explain to me in a different system why it was that he lost a day's worth of changes when he accidentally typed "delete" on some files, and when it said "Are you sure?" he answered "Y" shocked His peers were more mad at him then I was. smile

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2843323
04/29/19 01:31 AM
04/29/19 01:31 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India

Yes, that has happened to me in the past, and I legit cried many times frown Then I kept pressing Ctrl+S every few lines, to the extent of paranoia. Now, finally it has gone automatic. LOL at the signature comment laugh

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Many years ago, I had an employee explain to me in a different system why it was that he lost a day's worth of changes when he accidentally typed "delete" on some files, and when it said "Are you sure?" he answered "Y" shocked His peers were more mad at him then I was. smile
Tyrone, I get your point. Haha. My boss was totally cool with it. Called it human error and moved on. But my teammate from devops was mad, coz he had to dig log files all morning on a Saturday. They still pulled my leg about it sometimes, as I later worked with both of them in a different company.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2843325
04/29/19 02:01 AM
04/29/19 02:01 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India

I've heard both first hand and second hand stories like this. Sounds a bit fishy, if on a local system. In similar first hand stories I've heard, there was always some level of intoxication involved lol. But still the changes were always backed up somewhere. Programmers tend to be very paranoid about this stuff. Which probably explains why his peers were mad..

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Tech-key] #2843328
04/29/19 02:09 AM
04/29/19 02:09 AM

But still the changes were always backed up somewhere.

Yes, that's why it was only a day's worth of changes. BTW, this was in the late 80's and the changes were being backed up in a system called SCCS, but not continuously and not instantaneously. DevOps has come quite a ways since those days.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2843332
04/29/19 02:38 AM
04/29/19 02:38 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
But still the changes were always backed up somewhere.

Yes, that's why it was only a day's worth of changes. BTW, this was in the late 80's and the changes were being backed up in a system called SCCS, but not continuously and not instantaneously. DevOps has come quite a ways since those days.

Ohh, ok thumb

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: patH] #2843340
04/29/19 04:29 AM
04/29/19 04:29 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Sometimes exactly the same happens when I play the piano. I know what I should play, Oh I Know It, yet, it is as if there is a tiny devil ruling my fingers and it hits the wrong key!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Animisha] #2843343
04/29/19 04:49 AM
04/29/19 04:49 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
Sometimes exactly the same happens when I play the piano. I know what I should play, Oh I Know It, yet, it is as if there is a tiny devil ruling my fingers and it hits the wrong key!

Yes, this happens with me too cry Another thing that annoys me a lot is that, sometimes the very sight of my fingers playing the notes, throws me off. I don’t know of any other way to counter this other than just practice a few times, staring intently at the keyboard. Is this also a common problem?

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Tech-key] #2843359
04/29/19 07:09 AM
04/29/19 07:09 AM
Germany
patH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
patH  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Germany

I've heard both first hand and second hand stories like this. Sounds a bit fishy, if on a local system. In similar first hand stories I've heard, there was always some level of intoxication involved lol. But still the changes were always backed up somewhere. Programmers tend to be very paranoid about this stuff. Which probably explains why his peers were mad..

I don't think you need intoxication for that.
Decades ago, before computers had hard drives, I borrowed a floppy disc from a fellow student, to copy his files on my empty floppy disc.
What I ended up doing was copying my empty disc on his full disc. blush Luckily he had a copy.
And I wasn't the only one who made this type of blunder.

And even with hard drives, accidents like this can happen; like when you notice that the disc space on the net drive is almost full, and you decide to delete a few folders to make space and end up deleting the current work folder, and find out that the net drive doesn't have a backup system...

With computers, just like with pianos, or motorbikes, or other technical devices, when there's a problem, the source of the problem is very often in front of the device. wink

Last edited by patH; 04/29/19 07:10 AM.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: patH] #2843371
04/29/19 08:29 AM
04/29/19 08:29 AM
India
Tech-key Offline
Tech-key  Offline

India
Originally Posted by patH

I don't think you need intoxication for that.
Decades ago, before computers had hard drives, I borrowed a floppy disc from a fellow student, to copy his files on my empty floppy disc.
What I ended up doing was copying my empty disc on his full disc. blush Luckily he had a copy.
And I wasn't the only one who made this type of blunder.

And even with hard drives, accidents like this can happen; like when you notice that the disc space on the net drive is almost full, and you decide to delete a few folders to make space and end up deleting the current work folder, and find out that the net drive doesn't have a backup system…

I’ve done the toothpaste on face, face-wash on toothbrush without being intoxicated. So I guess you’re right. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong eek cry

Originally Posted by patH
With computers, just like with pianos, or motorbikes, or other technical devices, when there's a problem, the source of the problem is very often in front of the device. wink

LOL. I’ve never ridden proper motorbikes, but only the light weighted scooters. I’ve had two major falls with injuries, and both on my own accord. No one ever hit me. Once I skidded on sand, and then once on rain water.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: patH] #2843458
04/29/19 12:59 PM
04/29/19 12:59 PM
R
RosemaryGirl Offline
RosemaryGirl  Offline
R

I'm finding this thread interesting because I pretty much chose learning to play the piano over learning to ride a motorbike… But now I'm thinking, it would be cool to ride though!

Last year, I was all over learning to ride. I did my one-day 125cc riding training, loved it, then bought a tired second-hand Yamaha SR and even passed my theory test (this is in the UK) so I could take my full license in the summer.

And then…

The bike I bought had no end of problems. Some technical, some administrative. Every time it seemed like everything was in place for me to just ride, there was a problem: bike papers getting lost in the post, bike suddenly not starting for no apparent reason, tyres needing changing after I'd been told they were fine, two brand new batteries just dying forever while in it… You name it. My husband then felt it would be appropriate to say that he thought "I shouldn't ride a bike because the universe was trying to deter me and that I should listen or I'll die on it"… After I told him off for such talk, I must admit I wasn't even into riding anymore, so the bike is rusting in a garage somewhere. This happened at the same time as I got back into music learning.

So, I thought: maybe this is for the best. I can spend all the money I would have spent on riding on piano lessons instead. I can keep my hands for playing and doing everyday things with, rather than losing the ability to use them in an accident, and I can play indoors rather than getting wet inside the rider jacket and out (UK weather).

But now the summer is coming again and I'm thinking: shall I give riding another go? It could be fun. I have another year before my theory test pass lapses. It's just that it feels indulgent AND dangerous — so, perhaps not entirely reasonable. I don't have anywhere to go on the bike (I work from home), and I know too many stories of nasty, nasty accidents… Was sorry to hear of Tyrone's up there too.

So, all my best wishes to players and riders out there who take the risk all the time — make sure to invest in super good gloves! And never be in a hurry, just like when you play!

Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: RosemaryGirl] #2843469
04/29/19 01:31 PM
04/29/19 01:31 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by RosemaryGirl

So, all my best wishes to players and riders out there who take the risk all the time — make sure to invest in super good gloves! And never be in a hurry, just like when you play!

That's good advice. The proper gear can help mitigate injury in the event of an accident. Just like having the proper piano technique can help avoid injury, the proper gear can help you walk away from a simple low side get-off. So many people are hamburger meat after a simple slide because they ride with a t-shirt rather than the proper protective gear.

The quote is repeated in the digital piano forum to "get the best action you can afford." The same applies to protective gear. Get the best you can afford. I've been partial to this brand over the years.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-38 Completed
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: David B] #2843475
04/29/19 01:42 PM
04/29/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by RosemaryGirl

That's good advice. The proper gear can help mitigate injury in the event of an accident. Just like having the proper piano technique can help avoid injury, the proper gear can help you walk away from a simple low side get-off. So many people are hamburger meat after a simple slide because they ride with a t-shirt rather than the proper protective gear.

The quote is repeated in the digital piano forum to "get the best action you can afford." The same applies to protective gear. Get the best you can afford. I've been partial to this brand over the years.

God Bless,
David

Although gloves, while helpful and recommended, will only do so much when you are in a full stoppie and a rogue car takes out your front wheel @ 60+ mph so you have a highsider & many broken bones.

Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2843490
04/29/19 02:48 PM
04/29/19 02:48 PM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content
David B  Online Content
D

The Sierras

Although gloves, while helpful and recommended, will only do so much when you are in a full stoppie and a rogue car takes out your front wheel @ 60+ mph so you have a highsider & many broken bones.

I hear ya.

I was never under the illusion that some padding was going to save me from an impact with a several ton vehicle. However, I believe more motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents from rider error or surface hazards, etc. Protective gear can help you to walk away unscathed from many oopsies, like coming into a turn too hot and high siding from the front tire washing out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My gear has saved me more than once.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-38 Completed
Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: patH] #2843665
04/30/19 05:51 AM
04/30/19 05:51 AM
T
TomInCinci Offline
TomInCinci  Offline
T

I had a great time on motorcycles and used to really love them. I'm fine with being called a coward but I just don't think I'll ever ride on the streets again unless our distracted driving culture changes. I walk a lot and I see bone chilling stupidity out there every week, close up.

Re: I am an adult beginner... [Re: patH] #2851536
05/23/19 04:21 PM
05/23/19 04:21 PM
Germany
patH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
patH  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Germany
Bumping this thread for an update.

I have taken 9 hours worth of driving lessons so far, and today for the first time on the big motorbike with which I'm supposed to take the final test (which is still far away): A Honda CB 650 F.
The teacher said some encouraging words about my progress. Biking is starting to be fun. wink

But in the end, I don't know if learning to drive a bike and learning to play the piano have that much in common.

What they definitely have in common is that you need discipline and concentration to get better, and in order to make progress, you have to basically do three things: Practise, practise and practise.
And starting slow and getting faster step by step is also something that reminded me of some piano practise sessions. Slalom at 30 km/h on your first try? Might as well try to sight-read a piece by Chopin or Rachmaninoff at full speed. But starting at below 20 km/h, and getting faster slowly... That's more like it, and getting faster slowly works for the Chopin Scherzo I am currently practising.

Thanks also to all your input when comparing pianos and bikes.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lang Lang On The Tonight Show
by David B. 05/25/19 11:31 PM
Baldwin M vs Kawai KG1D
by ebonykawai. 05/25/19 09:33 PM
Need advice: Kawai NV10 vs K-500 AURES
by Pelota. 05/25/19 09:31 PM
I took a week off!
by Sam S. 05/25/19 08:16 PM
1926 Mason Hamlin RA ( Ampico )
by 15shoes. 05/25/19 05:15 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,159
Posts2,831,507
Members93,422
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission