2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't think very many serious and advanced pianists limit practice of some passage or section to three minutes or even any amount.
What you think doesn't matter. The strategy is effective - try it and see - and taught by serious pedagogues.

Make it stick

Richard
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Tech-key
Yeah, this doesn’t seem like a popular method among experienced players. Which does make me kind of skeptical about it. But what to do, I am seeing results in shorter practice periods! What would you suggest to someone who is short on time?
I don't think being short on time changes how one practices. If you feel you do better with interleaved practice that method would work whether you could practice 1/2 hour or 2 hours.

I think far more important than using or not using interleaved practice is what you do during practicing. If there is a technical or musical problem what do you do to try to fix it other than just playing the passage again and hoping for the best?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/20/19 12:20 PM.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I don't think very many serious and advanced pianists limit practice of some passage or section to three minutes or even any amount.
What you think doesn't matter. The strategy is effective - try it and see - and taught by serious pedagogues.

Make it stick

I don't see anything in the article that dictates 3 minutes (maybe I missed it). Why not three times? The point is to not do mindless repetitions.

The take-home point I got from the article was to not cram, not do endless, mindless repetitions, and to mix things up. Those are sensible things which it seems the majority of serious students here do.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Online Content

Make it stick

If it's taught by serious pedagogues why don't, to the best of my knowledge, many pianists use it? What percent of serious pedagogues teach it? The idea is not something that's complex so my thinking is that if it really was so good it would be a standard way of teaching and practicing for a long time by now. There's a big difference between mindless repetitions(that almost no one would suggest) and the type of practicing some posters on this thread recommend.

I don't think being short on time changes how one practices. If you feel you do better with interleaved practice that method would work whether you could practice 1/2 hour or 2 hours.

Oh, ok. Good to know that. Thanks! I may switch back to how I was practising earlier if/when my focus and technique improves.

I think far more important than using or not using interleaved practice is what you do during practicing. If there is a technical or musical problem what do you do to try to fix it other than just playing the passage again and hoping for the best?

Thankfully, I’ve already started doing something like what you are hinting at here. I don’t start keeping track of repetitions until I figure out what exactly I’m trying to tattoo in my brain via these repetitions. So in between each section, I do take time to first figure out what I’m trying to achieve. It may not always be the right thing that I choose, and I believe this would have worked much better if I had a good technique.

Think Twice, Play Once
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I don't see anything in the article that dictates 3 minutes (maybe I missed it).
The "three minutes or any amount" in your quote was covered, by me, earlier in the thread (on the 16th).

...if it really was so good it would be a standard way of teaching...
Did you not read the article or just miss this?

“The learning from interleaved practice feels slower than learning from massed practice. Teachers and students sense the difference. They can see that their grasp of each element is coming more slowly, and the compensating long-term advantage is not apparent to them. As a result, interleaving is unpopular and seldom used.

Teachers dislike it because it feels sluggish. Students find it confusing: they’re just starting to get a handle on new material and don’t feel on top of it yet when they are forced to switch. But the research shows unequivocally that mastery and long-term retention are much better if you interleave practice than if you mass it.”

Richard
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
The key thing for me is to frequently switch. Concentration will slip when doing repetitive practice, but when switching between tasks, it's easier to focus on the new task. Also, bringing a piece into working memory more frequently solidifies it and makes it easier to access. You are essentially practising retrieving the piece from memory.

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/20/19 01:04 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TryAnotherName
But am I to understand that when you get to that 3-minute-cup-is-full point, you don't need a break, you just switch to another practice element and that is enough to get you back in focus?

I think so, yes. Let's say that I have played sections A, B, C and D interleaved, all four of them several times that day, and I had thought that now it's time to do B again. But when I see B's notes, I feel, no it's been enough for today. So I drop B, and maybe add E to the interleaved practice. So yes, I can still switch to another practice element.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I don't mind. It works for me now, and for a few others. Maybe it won't work any more five years from now - then I have to come up with another way of practicing. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is it really necessary to count minutes though? I find it very tough to keep track of time. What may feel like 3 minutes may as well be 10! Of course, it may be my personal shortcoming smile

After trying and experimenting several things, I feel I practice the most efficient, when I just keep track of the number of repetitions of a section. A section can be a couple measures, a phrase, transition measures.. anything that requires repeated practice. I don’t count the repeats even, but it’s easier to have a general idea of the count. If I'd have to guess, I stop anywhere between 5-10. Being strict about a small number of repetitions at a time, allows me to not wait for the “focus to go” before starting a new section. I identify the “sections” in the beginning, and round-robin through them till I feel like a break/change.

I think it should have similar effects as the “time measurement” approach you are discussing. Isn’t it so? This required some discipline at first. But now it’s kind of becoming second nature, and freeing up time for other things like sight reading, maintenance of old pieces, etc.

Oh, and can you please tell me, if this is in sync with the ideas of “interleaved practice” you all are discussing? I would hate to divert this discussion again laugh

Hi Tech-key! I have an old mobile phone, that I keep charged. I turn on the stopwatch when I start playing, put it besides the score, and when I see that it has turned to 3, I finish the section. Sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later. But this three-minutes idea is of coure very arbitrary. If counting the repeats works for you, great. Personally, I would lose count. smile And you are not diverting the discussion. smile

Online Content
...if it really was so good it would be a standard way of teaching...
Did you not read the article or just miss this?

“The learning from interleaved practice feels slower than learning from massed practice. Teachers and students sense the difference. They can see that their grasp of each element is coming more slowly, and the compensating long-term advantage is not apparent to them. As a result, interleaving is unpopular and seldom used.

Teachers dislike it because it feels sluggish. Students find it confusing: they’re just starting to get a handle on new material and don’t feel on top of it yet when they are forced to switch. But the research shows unequivocally that mastery and long-term retention are much better if you interleave practice than if you mass it.”
I don't think the tests are very conclusive. For example in the first test with the rat microsurgery in the article, I think the person designing the test ignored the idea that the surgeons could just get tired doing all four sessions in a row. IOW their poor results later were a result of fatigue during the four sessions.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
...I don't think the tests are very conclusive...
Again, what you think doesn't matter. Forty years of sports research and follow up studies have shown its effectiveness. Read the book. Try it. Don't keep trying to hide what we know with what you think.

Richard
Originally Posted by Animisha
Hi Tech-key! I have an old mobile phone, that I keep charged. I turn on the stopwatch when I start playing, put it besides the score, and when I see that it has turned to 3, I finish the section. Sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later. But this three-minutes idea is of coure very arbitrary. If counting the repeats works for you, great. Personally, I would lose count. smile And you are not diverting the discussion. smile

Hi Animisha! Stopwatches drive me nuts. Good to know that counting qualifies too. I was wondering whether I had it backwards. Thanks smile

Think Twice, Play Once
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Animisha! Stopwatches drive me nuts. Good to know that counting qualifies too. I was wondering whether I had it backwards. Thanks smile

Hi again Tech-key. I think it is all about getting inspired about what others tell, and finding out what works for you. Not about what qualifies. smile I tried the ten minutes per section idea that was mentioned somewhere else, didn't work for me. I try three minutes interleaved and I have never been more happy practising. So what suits your mind best?

Online Content
Again, what you think doesn't matter. Forty years of sports research and follow up studies have shown its effectiveness. Read the book. Try it. Don't keep trying to hide what we know with what you think.
I gave a reason why I didn't think one of the test mentioned was conclusive.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
I gave a reason why I didn't think one of the test mentioned was conclusive.

Your point of view is as worthy of respect as anybody else's. If everyone agreed, this would be a very dull place.

Originally Posted by Animisha

Hi again Tech-key. I think it is all about getting inspired about what others tell, and finding out what works for you. Not about what qualifies. smile I tried the ten minutes per section idea that was mentioned somewhere else, didn't work for me. I try three minutes interleaved and I have never been more happy practising. So what suits your mind best?

Thanks, Animisha! Feels good to experiment around, and finally find something that works better (at least for the time being) smile

Think Twice, Play Once
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission