Originally Posted by johnstaf
I don't think there is an alternative.
BTW, regarding migrating to a new computer, nothing could be easier.
I don't care about the whole USB dongle thingie, so I don't have anything relevant to say on that.

I did more research and it seems that it's not that complicated as I thought. I was afraid that when I miss some step or hit the wrong button I will lose my purchase. I noticed that their customer service is very responsive and every time when I asked question I had the answer the same day. Some of my friends don't respond as quickly as VSL which is a very good news. : D

Originally Posted by halherta
Have a look at the Bechstein Digital VST. It's samples a C. Bechstein concert grand piano, costs $262 USD, is about 80 GB in size and works through Kontakt player just like the Grandeur. Embertone's Walker 1955 Concert D is another very good one.
Also have a look at Production voices Production Grand 2 and Concert Grand

I was dissapointed that Bechstein doesn't have half-pedal support. It is essential tool for me unfortunatelly and I can't live without it. The same goes for Walker 1955. I own Walker and love this piano because the sound is so characteristic that you can recognize it without fail when taking blind test. And also the sound is so lovely that if I had enough money I would definitely buy acoustic piano that sound exactly like that. I'm still waiting for half-pedal support. : <

Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
[quote]

[quote=Grazilerimba]The Garritan CFX is the best and closest alternative IMO. If you aren't able to make it sound right, then spend some more time on it - try different mic configs, go through the presets, play with the EQ and the mic volumes, and so on.

I have the lite version but thank you for the comment. You are right. The reason it sounded bad was because of my settings. I own Studiologic SL78, and bass was so loud that I couldn't hear treble part clear. It was complete chaos which made this particular VST unusable. I discovered that I could set the keyboard balance (In SL78 settings) so the bass doesn't sound that loud now. After a bit of tweaking it sound really good and now I know why people like Garritan CFX so much. It's very expressive VST and now the Grandeur that I liked that much sounds very flat in comparison. Thank you once again!

The Grandeur is OK, also have a look at the Galaxy Vintage D. It's only a few GB in size, though, and the sound won't come close to the VSL entries.

I also bought Vintage D and I love the sound. It's great piano that has it's own personality like Embertone Walker. It's hard not to love it. I wanted to buy Yamaha CFX by VSL because the sounds reminds me of all the studio recordings of classical music that I love. I hope it will be a big upgrade for me. : )

The Bechstein has great playability but the sound is nothing that would satisfy you if you are in expectation of a similar sound quality as heard in VSL's pianos. It doesn't have half pedal either, and it needs a powerful CPU. But the playability is really good.

No half-pedal, powerful CPU for sounds that won't be as good as in VSL. I say certainly no. ^.^'

I would personally recommend against the Productionsvoices pianos as well as against the Embertone Walker. Both have supbar playability when compared to the previously named VSTs (missing or broken half pedal, for example, as well as notes sticking out and being out of tune, or note ranges being weaker then the rest of the keyboard), and they have other issues that are not fixed by the developers despite their promises of releasing patches to go back as far far as half a year.

I was discouraged with ProductionVoices by it's (Try it to play) demo. It was like an april joke. When you want to try their product before buying you have only one octave to try and then bunch of c's in other octaves. It is impossible to play anything in that option and it is still difficult to evaluate this product. You will learn completely nothing by downloading their free demo version and it is completely waste of time. I hoped it will be something similar like in Pianoteq 6 demo version when you have whole C major scale to play with and see If you actually like the sound of what you are playing.

If you're only about playing and don't need great sound quality then also check out Pianoteq. With the Stage version you can get a superbly playable VST at a low price.

I like playability of Pianoteq Stage 6 (amazing half-pedaling) but still don't like the sound. But this company did great progress from pianoteq 2 and I like the fact that they still have customers. Their samples sound really amazing and I hope that in pianoteq 10 we won't have a need for sampled pianos because you will be able to emulate any piano in existence that will be
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I don't think there is an alternative.
BTW, regarding migrating to a new computer, nothing could be easier.
I don't care about the whole USB dongle thingie, so I don't have anything relevant to say on that.

I did more research and it seems that it's not that complicated as I thoiught. I was afraid that when I miss some step or hit the wrong button I will lose my purchase. I noticed that their customer service is very responsive and every time when I asked question I had the answer the same day. Some of my friends don't respond that quickly as VSL which is a very good news. : D

Originally Posted by halherta
Have a look at the Bechstein Digital VST. It's samples a C. Bechstein concert grand piano, costs $262 USD, is about 80 GB in size and works through Kontakt player just like the Grandeur. Embertone's Walker 1955 Concert D is another very good one.
Also have a look at Production voices Production Grand 2 and Concert Grand

I was dissapointed that Bechstein doesn't have half-pedal support. It is essential tool for me unfortunatelly and I can't live without it. The same goes for Walker 1955. I own Walker and love this piano because the sound is so characteristic that you can recognize it without fail when taking blind test. And also sound is lovely that if I had enough money I would definitely buy accoustic piano that sounds like that. I'm still waiting for half-pedal support though. : <

[quote]

[quote=Grazilerimba]The Garritan CFX is the best and closest alternative IMO. If you aren't able to make it sound right, then spend some more time on it - try different mic configs, go through the presets, play with the EQ and the mic volumes, and so on.

I have the lite version but thank you for the comment. You are right. The reason it sounded bad was because of my setting. I own Studiologic SL78, and bass was so loud that I couldn't hear treble part clear. It was complete chaos which made this particular VST unusable. I discovered that I could set the keyboard balance (In SL78 settings) so the bass doesn't sound that loud now. After a bit of tweaking it sound really good and now I know why people like Garritan CFX so much. It's very expressive VST and now the Grandeur that I liked that much sound very flat. Thank you once again!

The Grandeur is OK, also have a look at the Galaxy Vintage D. It's only a few GB in size, though, and the sound won't come close to the VSL entries.

I also bought Vintage D and I love the sound. It's great piano that has it's own personality like Embertone Walker. It's hard not to love it. I wanted to buy Yamaha CFX by VSL because the sounds reminds me of all the studio recordings of classical music that I love. I hope it will be a big upgrade for me. : )

The Bechstein has great playability but the sound is nothing that would satisfy you if you are in expectation of a similar sound quality as heard in VSL's pianos. It doesn't have half pedal either, and it needs a powerful CPU. But the playability is really good.

No half-pedal, powerful CPU for sounds that won't be as good as in VSL. I say certainly no. ^.^'

I would personally recommend against the Productionsvoices pianos as well as against the Embertone Walker. Both have supbar playability when compared to the previously named VSTs (missing or broken half pedal, for example, as well as notes sticking out and being out of tune, or note ranges being weaker then the rest of the keyboard), and they have other issues that are not fixed by the developers despite their promises of releasing patches to go back as far far as half a year.

I was discouraged by ProductionVoices because of it's (Try it to play) demo. It was like april joke. When you want to try their product before buying you have only one octave to try and then bunch of c's in other octaves. It is impossible to play anything in that option and it still difficult to evaluate this product. You will learn completely nothing by downloading their free demo version and it is completely waste of time. I hoped it will be something simmilar like in Pianoteq 6 demo version when you have whole C major scale to play with and see If you actually like the sound of what you are playing.

If you're only about playing and don't need great sound quality then also check out Pianoteq. With the Stage version you can get a superbly playable VST at a low price.

I like playability of Pianoteq Stage 6 but still don't like the sound. But this company did great progress from pianoteq 2 and I like the fact that they still have customers. Their samples sound really amazing and I hope that in pianoteq 10 we won't have a need for sampled pianos because you will be able to emulate any piano in existence that will be indistinguishable from the sound of a real piano. : )

Originally Posted by tdwctdwc
Check this out: http://www.supremepiano.com/index.html?piano1.html

It's a Yamaha C7.

The developer is giving it away for free to encourage users to buy their full products. I'm not saying it's an alternative to anything but i will say that you will be pleasantly surprised by the sound. Just make sure you use "Exp 2" in the velocity curve settings and add a reverb of your choice.

I was using it before I had digital piano and really liked the sound. I was using it for creating music in Notion 3 and after tweaking it the sound was really likable. Now when I finally have DP I was surprised that it has very decent half pedaling option from the start and has extremely good playability. I believe it is the best option for free piano VST available on the internet. Unfortanetely I'm looking for upgrade of what I already have so it's not an option for me but still it is a good piano VST to recommend. ^.^