Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
78 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, Bett, Beowulf, AnnInMiami, 15shoes, 90125, brooster, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 1,090 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: tangothomas] #2802385
01/15/19 06:02 PM
01/15/19 06:02 PM
Mars
90125 Online sick
90125  Online Sick

Mars
Originally Posted by tangothomas
It’s not just a few buttons and some software over the CLP and can not be compared with PSR or Tyros/Genos.

Do you have any idea why Yamaha doesn't include the arpeggiator on any of the CVPs?

Seems like an interesting omission to me; and nobody I asked had an idea why.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: arc7urus] #2802943
20 hours ago
20 hours ago
T
TheKeyMaster Offline
TheKeyMaster  Offline
T

@arc7urus
Why do you think the CLP 685 would have a be "much better speaker system" compared to the CVP-709? I am really curious about that, because as far as I follow those lines the CVP always had the best speaker system of those product lines - and my first CVP was a CVP-75 back in the 90s. smile
I did not personally test the CLP 685, but I would really be surprised if it would outperform the 7-speaker system on the CVP-709.

The idea of getting a CLP and a Genos is interesting (and if there were a 88keys Genos-version I might be tempted *g*), but I would conclude a CVP is more than the sum of its parts.
CVP-709 is a nice package of
- good arranger functions
- home-use okay-ish sequencer
- awesome digital piano
- very good sound system for the purpose
- fun stuff like vocoder/vocal harmony/karaoke functions
All of this in a nice piece of furniture that can be but in any living room (I would definitly NOT put a Genos there - at least my XS8 sits in another room).

Especially the small goodies like the 'light-guide / follow lights"-function (which the CVP-75 also had) make this a very interesting instrument for pros and beginners alike. My 3yrs-old cannot read sheet music, but has a blast using the follow lights function.

Only downside on the current CVP gen is the keyboard (NWX) that I'm not a fan of. The Kawai CA-98 is much better in that regard (esp. the double-escapement / key repetition is a lot closer to a concert grand than the NWX).

The new CSP-series is an interesting concept - I do like the lack of buttons look-wise, but using a touch screen as your main input surface is... <insert some disgusting words here>
Youtube demos of those instruments show, that no one "wants" this. smile

You buy a CVP because of its integration - not for the sole features (connect your favorite keyboard via MIDI to a computer and there you have your instrument that easily outperforms ANY hardware keys/synth/whatever) - given a decent sound system. But a CVP: switch it on, and there you have it - everything nicely integrated and easy to use.

So on my side: If NAMM 2019 brings us a CVP-809 with improved action I would be "shut up and take my money!!!". smile

Last edited by TheKeyMaster; 20 hours ago.
Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: halherta] #2802964
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
Sverige, Västernorrland
T
tangothomas Offline
tangothomas  Offline
T

Sverige, Västernorrland
TKM!

Thats right - you have to play it for a while to understand it’s potential and user friedliness, and not only talk about it as waaaaaay overpriced, without ever sitting in front of it.

Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: tangothomas] #2803108
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
Mars
90125 Online sick
90125  Online Sick

Mars
Originally Posted by tangothomas
to play it for a while to understand it’s potential and user friedliness, and not only talk about it as waaaaaay overpriced, without ever sitting in front of it.

My understanding is that CVPs intimidate many people by the presence of their control panel above the keyboard. It is not the price that they find intimidating. I observed that psychological effect myself multiple times.

And it is not just distraction of the blinking lights. Even the CVP with the control panel completely covered with a non-transparent baffle still continues to instill fear.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: halherta] #2803157
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
Sverige, Västernorrland
T
tangothomas Offline
tangothomas  Offline
T

Sverige, Västernorrland

Could be. But in my case I’m used to that interface since the early 90s when
I bought Technics KN 1000 & 2000. After that owned and played DGX 650, Roland FP 80 and others, so buttons and screens are friends of mine.

A lot of people on PW are looking for DPs that resemble pianos with as little as possible over the KB. I can understand that. But that’s not me. The first time I tried a CVP I found it as a major upgrade in all ways.

Yamaha made the decisions to not include arpeggiator, pads and R2 into the design on the CVPs. PSR, Tyros/Genos also have other functions that not did find their way into these Clavinovas. Mayby lack of space or knowledge of potential end users. Yamaha reps. can answer why that is so.

Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: TheKeyMaster] #2803198
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by TheKeyMaster
@arc7urus
Why do you think the CLP 685 would have a be "much better speaker system" compared to the CVP-709? I am really curious about that, because as far as I follow those lines the CVP always had the best speaker system of those product lines - and my first CVP was a CVP-75 back in the 90s. smile
I did not personally test the CLP 685, but I would really be surprised if it would outperform the 7-speaker system on the CVP-709.

Well, I never tried a CVP, but the speakers on the 685 are impressive :-)

Although these numbers do not translate into sound quality, both setups are pretty similar:

CVP-709
Amplifiers (30 W + 30 W + 20 W) x 2 + 40 W
Speakers (16 cm + 5 cm + 3 cm (dome)) x 2, Spruce Cone Speaker, Twisted Flare Port

CLP-685
Amplifiers (50 W + 50 W + 50 W) x 2
Speakers (16 cm + 8 cm + 2.5 cm (dome)) x 2, Spruce Cone Speaker, Twisted Flare Port

Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: halherta] #2803211
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I wish people would stop trying to evaluate a piano based on specs.

There's nothing in those speaker/amplifier specs to show any level of quality.

The 6" size of the speakers means little. There are good six inchers and there are crap six inchers. What's in this piano?
And the enclosure on a console piano is crap just by its shape. Don't expect much!
And the power specs in this type of equipment are not regulated by law. So they mean little.

Screw the specs.
Instead, trust you ears. They are the ONLY measuring instruments that have any value.

Re: Yamaha to Exhibit More Than 50 New Products At NAMM 2019 [Re: halherta] #2803220
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
USA
L
Lotus1 Offline
Lotus1  Offline
L

USA
arc7urus, in addition to the six speakers you mentioned, the CVP-709 has a single 20 cm woofer (driven by the 40W amplifier).

I agree with recent comments by tangothomas and TheKeyMaster on the user friendliness of the CVP/DGX designs. If you can get past the "intimidation factor" of a large screen, a couple of dials and dozens of buttons, these instruments are very easy to use. It is much simpler to directly access a function through a button or scroll through voice options with a dial than deal with multiple menu layers on an iPad touch screen, as with the CSP line. The DGX even has a full numeric keypad to directly select voices!

I also agree with TheKeyMaster on the wish for a better key action on the higher-end CVP models. NWX is a great value on the $1,500 P-515 piano; not so much on CVP models priced at many multiples of this.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs yamaha conservatory grands
by kokatla. 01/17/19 09:10 PM
Name that piano! Prizes! Fame!
by Bruce In Philly. 01/17/19 07:26 PM
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,634
Posts2,782,980
Members92,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission