Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (AAC127, Beardog, anotherscott, Bill-ICPT, accordeur, APassionatePianist, agraffe, Alex Hutor, AaronSF, 31 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Andy R] #2779880
11/10/18 05:46 PM
11/10/18 05:46 PM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
500 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by Andy R
...In an acoustic action, the letoff point is where the jack is being flipped up against the hammer butt or knuckle to send the hammer into the string free to rebound unimpeded. The hammer is actually accelerated into the string slightly by this motion. The player feels the letoff resistance in the fingers when playing softly and it actually improves the sense of control for p and pp playing. In the GF2 action, the letoff feel is replicated, but the effect on the hammer traveling to the sensor (string) is the opposite of that in an acoustic action. The letoff bumper actually creates an impediment for the hammer travel that must be overcome. I think this actually reduces the control of p and pp playing. I would rather have no letoff feel than one that reduces control...

I think you are just partially right about the implementation of the let off on the GF2. I agree when you say that the let off on the GF2 is an obstacle to the hammer movement. On an acoustic you can accelerate a key near or at let off point and the action will still throw the hammer. On the GF2, accelerating the key near the let off requires extra force to overcome the rubber notch simulating the let off. So, in this situation, the GF2 is the opposite of an acoustic action.

However, the GF2 also features sensors _before_ the let off point. So, if the key is accelerated in the first part of key travel (before the let off), you can produce the full dynamic range without any interference from the let off notch. Let me put this in approximate numbers measured on a white key on my CA98 with GF2. Full stroke (from resting position to bottom-out) is 12mm. From resting position to the let off point is 8mm and from the let-off to bottom 4mm. This means that it is possible to control and accelerate a key wiithout contact with the let-off notch during the first 2/3 of key travel. If this is an issue or not will mainly depend on technique/playing style. I am not sure if removing the rubber notches would actually allow the hammer to move in a more realistic way.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780048
11/11/18 11:18 AM
11/11/18 11:18 AM
M
Maartin Offline
Maartin  Offline
M

The Kawai CA's seem to default to quite a 'muffled' sound for anything other than FFF, but you can make it as bright as you like by adjusting the virtual technician, tone control and other settings.

Last edited by Maartin; 11/11/18 11:19 AM.
Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780049
11/11/18 11:20 AM
11/11/18 11:20 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Maartin: Are you saying "muffled through speakers" or "muffled through headphones"? Or both?

Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780139
11/11/18 04:37 PM
11/11/18 04:37 PM
T
Tom F Wright Offline
Tom F Wright  Offline
T

I am the prowd (!) Owner of a CA98 and like others, have also experienced great difficulty in trying to reproduce ppp soft levels. This is partly down to the let-off mechanism used by Kawai, but do appreciate that it is there to try and mimic the feeling of a grand piano mechanism.

To get round some of these issues, I too have also totally removed the silicon strips used by the let-off mechanism. For me, this has made it a lot better now to play quieter passages, but do remember that the keys will loose that "notchy" feel if you do - and you may not like that. If in doubt, just remove one small strip and see if you like the feel better or not 😎

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780143
11/11/18 04:46 PM
11/11/18 04:46 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Nice job. Some people like letoff, but I consider it a nuisance. It's necessary for an acoustic piano. But it's useless to me.

So ... how many strips must be removed? Is it one bit per key? Or one per octave? Or one for the entire width of the piano?

Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780152
11/11/18 05:14 PM
11/11/18 05:14 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Originally Posted by Tom F Wright
I am the prowd (!) Owner of a CA98 and like others, have also experienced great difficulty in trying to reproduce ppp soft levels. This is partly down to the let-off mechanism used by Kawai, but do appreciate that it is there to try and mimic the feeling of a grand piano mechanism.

To get round some of these issues, I too have also totally removed the silicon strips used by the let-off mechanism. For me, this has made it a lot better now to play quieter passages, but do remember that the keys will loose that "notchy" feel if you do - and you may not like that. If in doubt, just remove one small strip and see if you like the feel better or not 😎

As a matter of interest does it effect the return speed of the key ? I presume it would, the key will jump back up more quickly to the top and not be slowed by the rubber strip. I wonder if it affects the feel of trills and repeated notes.

btw I have no intend on doing this mod. I am happy with mine. the lettof is consistent key to key on mine, and while I can't quite get he softest notes out of it like I could on my cheap Casio AP450. I feel it tallies much more realistically with an acoustic how soft you can go, soft enough. I am satisfied.

I use the default touch with the internal sounds. I feel if it gives the best balance overall for me, I tried light, sure I can get used to it and get a bit more of an ff with bite for the same effort, but that also compromises the timbre of pp, you get a better ff but a worse pp control, In other words for me it is not just about volume and dynamic range in the way Jobert describes as his best solution, but also resolution in timbre you can get. Heavy I just find too compromised for louder playing.

With VSTs I just leave it in on normal also, but max out the VST velocity at about 110 and I am set. As Gombessa notes you can get a bit of extra MIDI resolution, but for me I feel no difference whether I have around 100 steps or 127.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: MacMacMac] #2780159
11/11/18 05:32 PM
11/11/18 05:32 PM
T
Tom F Wright Offline
Tom F Wright  Offline
T

Yes basically one stop covers one octave. As I mentioned , it might be a good idea just to pull out one strip and see if you prefer it removed.

(Could post picture of the removal but not sure how to post it here on the forum - seems it has to be uploaded first to a url)

Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780162
11/11/18 05:37 PM
11/11/18 05:37 PM
T
Tom F Wright Offline
Tom F Wright  Offline
T

Not absolutely sure if there any changes once the strips are removed, but the return speed is very good and yes, trills are no problem 😎

Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780405
11/12/18 02:04 PM
11/12/18 02:04 PM
A
Andy R Offline
Andy R  Offline
A

Originally Posted by Rohit04062

How did that impact the action and feel of the keyboard in general? Did you lose the escapement? Were there any negative impacts to doing what you did?

Yes, you lose the letoff feel completely. The key travel became completely smooth all the way to the bottom. That is the only thing you lose. There is no physical connection between the rubber letoff bumper and the key sensors. They are unaffected. For me, soft playing and trills are greatly improved.

Removing the bumpers is relatively easy and reversible. The back and top of the cabinet need to be removed, then the line of screws holding down the circuit boards for the sensors. Tilt the circuit boards back and the rubber bumper strips are exposed for removal. There are 7 strips of 12 bumpers and 1 strip of 4. I have stored mine in a ziplock bag for possible replacement if desired. They are covered in grease, so I had to be careful not to get any on other parts of the instrument.

Andy

Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Andy R] #2780411
11/12/18 02:20 PM
11/12/18 02:20 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Andy R
Originally Posted by Rohit04062

How did that impact the action and feel of the keyboard in general? Did you lose the escapement? Were there any negative impacts to doing what you did?

Yes, you lose the letoff feel completely. The key travel became completely smooth all the way to the bottom. That is the only thing you lose. There is no physical connection between the rubber letoff bumper and the key sensors. They are unaffected. For me, soft playing and trills are greatly improved.

Removing the bumpers is relatively easy and reversible. The back and top of the cabinet need to be removed, then the line of screws holding down the circuit boards for the sensors. Tilt the circuit boards back and the rubber bumper strips are exposed for removal. There are 7 strips of 12 bumpers and 1 strip of 4. I have stored mine in a ziplock bag for possible replacement if desired. They are covered in grease, so I had to be careful not to get any on other parts of the instrument.

Andy

Interestingly, the letoff bumpers are the only part of that action that is greased, and Kawai uses a special, viscous "friction grease" that doesn't seem to be easy to source. So it's wise to try to keep the grease intact and not let it get on anything else.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai ca78 (grand feel 2) problems with action [Re: Rohit04062] #2780431
11/12/18 03:22 PM
11/12/18 03:22 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
7000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
Crisco. It's just Crisco. smile

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nord Stage 3 Keybed vs Stage 2 88
by Coker. 03/24/19 05:21 PM
Anyone learning from Schaum?
by Cheshire Chris. 03/24/19 03:34 PM
Piano room size
by Colin Miles. 03/24/19 12:49 PM
Books devoted to one piece
by Animisha. 03/24/19 12:06 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,102
Posts2,810,403
Members92,866
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission