Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
131 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, bennevis, Bett, Bobby Badd, Agent88, aeroseb, 35 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2780263
11/11/18 11:48 PM
11/11/18 11:48 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Online crying
johnstaf  Online Crying
J

Dublin
Thanks for that. I did a second degree mostly online, but it cost me a fortune. My music degree was free though, so overall it wasn't that bad.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2780336
11/12/18 08:13 AM
11/12/18 08:13 AM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Offline
DFSRN  Offline
D

Virginia
Tyrone and Johnstaf, I believe you can enroll in a face-to-face course as a non-degree student or to audit it. The online I have done some of the Udemy classes, it was like $10 on sale and you keep that life for your lifetime. Regarding online learning, I have taught online previously for 5 years, my masters in nursing was online and the PhD was online with university visits called intensives and presenting the dissertation face-to-face to faculty. My friends husband wanted to learn the piano had a Yamaha U3. At the time they could not afford lessons she was working on her doctorate. Trying to teach him online how to play the piano was challenging. Academics online is different than learning a psychomotor skill online such as piano, dance, drawing, etc...... I think those type of lessons the student derives more benefit face-to-face.

Tyrone, I do pay 12,000 a year for lessons. I figure it is less expensive than a second home, bass boat/fishing hobby, golf, dirt bike hobby, trading a car every few years, etc... This goes to a non-profit school which employees musicians part-time, my previous instructor (the directors son) was a symphony player and had a masters from Oberlin, the one now has a undergrad in piano performance and MA in music education and is a performing artist. I do ask that my instructor has a music degree. The director told me I only employee those with a music degree. I feel I am receiving an excellent education and supporting a small community music school. I believe she told me she has 55 students, currently she only has 2 adults taking lessons. She said they come and go, most not lasting a year.She opened her school in 1997, she was a symphony player the oboe, she also sings, and plays piano. I am happy to support a school that offers arts education to the community.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2780490
11/12/18 07:07 PM
11/12/18 07:07 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Online crying
johnstaf  Online Crying
J

Dublin
You can't beat one-to-one instruction. You can make much more progress when your teacher is tailoring your tuition just for you. It's as true for music theory as it is for the piano.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2781264
11/15/18 10:41 AM
11/15/18 10:41 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
PianoStartsAt33 Online content
PianoStartsAt33  Online Content
P

Murmansk, Russia
Well...if child prodigies exist, may be he is an adult prodigy:)?

Watched the video. From the amateur's point of view it's impressive. But I'll show it to my friends from Moscow and St. Petersburg conservatories to find out how professional it really is.

I think it's the same as with amateur piano competitions. No one cheks the participants are really amateurs. It's just taken for granted.
Or a story my teacher told me about "amateur saxophonist" from TV show. You know, all this "we search for talents" etc. She and other musicians were in their tour bus going for the next recital. And the was a TV in the bus, with this TV show on the screen. And so the anchorman there announced their next participant, allegedly a guy from a small village somewhere in a deep province. They claim he never took any prifessional lesson and was completely self-taught. But when this guy appeared on the screen with his sax, one of my teachers friend said:"Hey!WTF? I know him! He graduated from the same conservatory as me!".
People just want so much to believe in fairy tales...

By the way, we should not forget that ability to play 5-6 pieces is one thing. Having an overall skill of playing an instrument, master it in all the ways is another.

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Roland FP 90

YoutubeChannel
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2781272
11/15/18 11:05 AM
11/15/18 11:05 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
I think it's the same as with amateur piano competitions. No one checks the participants are really amateurs. It's just taken for granted.
He's not an adult prodigy because although the level of the piece is very high for his time studying piano, the performance is not so good.

The requirements for most amateur pianos competitions are usually something like the pianist cannot within the last x years make a significant part of his living from performing or teaching. I doubt many, if any, competitors try and cheat about this because they would eventually be found out with all the negative consequences that would follow.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: pianoloverus] #2781285
11/15/18 11:30 AM
11/15/18 11:30 AM
Murmansk, Russia
P
P

Murmansk, Russia
Indeed, no one really cares how many ears have you been learning piano, at what age you started etc. When you play something in front of some public and say "O, sorry, I started playing piano only a couple years ago, at the age of 30" - this is not an excuse. Of course, people can say"Oh, I understand" - but in reality they do not understand and do not care. Only quality matters.
So, forget about who, when, where and how started learning piano. Just concentrate on yourself and practice.

"No succes of failure matters when it's about true vocation". Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Roland FP 90

YoutubeChannel
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2781347
11/15/18 02:25 PM
11/15/18 02:25 PM
Pacific Northwest
P
PianogrlNW Online content
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest

I watched most of the video. He has very good finger dexterity and articulation for only one year of experience. His phrasing, tone and dynamics I think show his lack of experience. So no, I would not call him an adult prodigy. Interesting concept, though!

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2781371
11/15/18 03:44 PM
11/15/18 03:44 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Indeed, no one really cares how many ears have you been learning piano, at what age you started etc. When you play something in front of some public and say "O, sorry, I started playing piano only a couple years ago, at the age of 30" - this is not an excuse. Of course, people can say"Oh, I understand" - but in reality they do not understand and do not care. Only quality matters.
So, forget about who, when, where and how started learning piano. Just concentrate on yourself and practice.

Actually, many people care about how long someone has played. I know because I have been asked this many times. It seems a rather silly question to ask adults for the most part, and I usually reply "all my life" or smile and say "I just started last week" if I'm in a sarcastic mood.

Certainly, people tend to be even more interested in how long a younger student has been playing. And interviews with great pianists often include questions about when they started playing although most hearing them in concert wouldn't particularly care unless they were very young.

Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: pianoloverus] #2781377
11/15/18 03:57 PM
11/15/18 03:57 PM
Murmansk, Russia
P
P

Murmansk, Russia
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Actually, many people care about how long someone has played. I know because I have been asked this many times. It seems a rather silly question to ask adults for the most part, and I usually reply "all my life" or smile and say "I just started last week" if I'm in a sarcastic mood.

Certainly, people tend to be even more interested in how long a younger student has been playing. And interviews with great pianists often include questions about when they started playing although most hearing them in concert wouldn't particularly care unless they were very young.

IMHO, all these people who care are just like us here - learning or thinking about learning playing piano. Of course, we need some inspiring examples of succesfull adult-starters. But regular people don't.
I like metal music very much. But I never cared who long any of this drummers, guitarists or bass players learned their instruments and when did they start. But when I see keyboard player in a band, I sometimes really wonder how long did he learn, when he has started etc.

Roland FP 90

YoutubeChannel
Re: I don't believe this is true [Re: ZanderChicago] #2781568
11/16/18 07:23 AM
11/16/18 07:23 AM
England
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryShone  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

England
I suppose its possible but one must have a natural ability which he clearly has, if its genuine. He obviously has a natural hand independence, the one area that I struggle with.
I did notice the little plug for Jane's lessons at the bottom too...

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
[Linked Image]

My Piano Group
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Corea Mashes Scarlatti and Kern
by IosPlayer. 11/20/18 02:29 PM
Used upright Wurlitzer vs. Guild
by Mikka.kate. 11/20/18 01:34 PM
Feature Heip
by kmdmb. 11/20/18 12:03 PM
VPC1 Does not play iPad
by IosPlayer. 11/20/18 10:12 AM
Most new pianos sold?
by j&j. 11/20/18 09:25 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,430
Posts2,762,889
Members91,533
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission