Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
132 registered members (bennevis, Agent88, aeroseb, Balezin Dmitry, almo82, ajames, Charles Cohen, 29 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: David-G] #2779519
11/09/18 10:17 AM
11/09/18 10:17 AM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z

Especially the old "Cough on your own saliva" which I'm sure we're all familiar with, where one mis-swallows.

I did that a couple of days ago, and it was reflex, no way I could hold that in.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: Zaphod] #2779522
11/09/18 10:34 AM
11/09/18 10:34 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
500 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Zaphod
Especially the old "Cough on your own saliva" which I'm sure we're all familiar with, where one mis-swallows.

I did that a couple of days ago, and it was reflex, no way I could hold that in.

Not sure that what people say are reflexes are actually true reflexes. When I was a kid, I taught myself how to suppress both hiccups and sneezes, both of which some people claim are reflexes, and I do that to this day, when it is inconvenient to sneeze or hiccup (it's always inconvenient to hiccup, so as a rule, or except as a gag, I never allow myself to hiccup). I've never specially tried to teach myself to suppress coughs, since even when I was a kid, coughing seemed like such a voluntary process. But I suppose one could teach oneself to suppress coughing too if its possible to do with sneezes and hiccups. That is unless it is like learning to curl your tongue, something only children can teach themselves to do, as I understand.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: David-G] #2779528
11/09/18 11:04 AM
11/09/18 11:04 AM
Brittany, France
P
petebfrance Online content
petebfrance  Online Content
P

Brittany, France
Well, at least he and the audience didn't start clapping, cheering, whistling and so on after the first few bars. I'm not sure if it still happens, but I bought a live album, I think it was Simon and Garfunckle and the coughing started after (well during) the intro to 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters'. Now that is infuriating!

regards
Pete
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: Zaphod] #2779577
11/09/18 03:07 PM
11/09/18 03:07 PM
Dorset, England
S
slipperykeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
slipperykeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Dorset, England
This chap throwing cough drops at the audience, what a generous gesture, so caring and showing genuine concern for the health of concert-goers. About time this sort of facility was made available to us all. But was he certain the cough drops were reaching the intended recipients? The whole delivery method seems very open to error and inaccuracy. There is a good chance somebody without a cough received a cough-drop that firstly they had not earned and secondly were not in need of.
All very haphazard. I wonder... has he seen those DHL ads? (Other accurate delivery companies are available)

...... Even in that picture of him in that article he looks like a pompous prat.

Convincing argument. Wins it for me,

Although it's easy to look bad in a photograph, even I can do it, if I try hard enough. Still, let's get 'em where it hurts, nothing pompous about us all sitting in judgement....

In the interests of balance, you could send him a picture of you and ask him what he thinks you look like.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to stop a performance and "refocus" as the article says.

Yes but it takes time, makes people late, some have to be up early tomorrow, taxi's are booked, baby-sitters.... this isn't a Bruce Springsteen concert where you expect the "artist" to be late as he wants and to show no regard to you and your needs! Indeed, here the artist has already demonstrated his concern for others by remembering to bring his stock of cough-drops.

I have worked with a few conductors in my time, and I must say, I found a lot of them to be po-faced and arrogant, and actually rather unpopular with the orchestra.

Well, I think they're probably going to be. Telling other people what to do is often a recipe for making oneself unpopular, especially if the people you are telling what to do think they already know better than you.

Cough drops eh? Must go to a concert soon, I'm feeling a little "chesty", although I think I better take a big net.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 11/09/18 03:11 PM.
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: wr] #2779584
11/09/18 03:27 PM
11/09/18 03:27 PM
Pacific Northwest
P
PianogrlNW Online content
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted by wr
Then there's this - interesting in its own right, but I was particularly taken with the reference to another concert where the conductor hurled cough drops at the audience!!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/m...-cough-drops-miffed-muti-stops-cso-show/

These prima donnas need to get a grip on reality. If it weren’t for the paying plebes who fill the concert halls these demi-gods would be out of work.

Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: slipperykeys] #2779585
11/09/18 03:31 PM
11/09/18 03:31 PM
Z
Zaphod Online sad
Zaphod  Online Sad
Z

Originally Posted by slipperykeys

...... Even in that picture of him in that article he looks like a pompous prat.

That made me chuckle.

Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: Zaphod] #2779825
11/10/18 01:34 PM
11/10/18 01:34 PM
Dorset, England
S
slipperykeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
slipperykeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Dorset, England
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

That made me chuckle.

I'm glad, and it's good of you to take it in the spirit it was intended, to a large extent the whole thing was meant to be a bit of a joke.

Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: David-G] #2781248
11/15/18 09:57 AM
11/15/18 09:57 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
There is something that doesn't quite make sense to me about the coughing that you always get at classical concerts. If you need to cough, surely it would be possible to wait for a forte passage instead of spoiling a pianissimo or a break between movements or the transcendental 5 seconds at the end of a Schubert recital. Then, nobody would hear it as it'd be effectively masked by the dB level of the music.

Sometimes coughing just cannot be avoided which is just something you accept in a public place. Or if you know you're going to cough a lot, don't go to a concert.

But most people, most of the time can control it as is proved by the fact that everyone coughs in a break.

Much better to do it in a loud bit or during applause, and no one would be bothered by it or even aware of it.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: toddy] #2781262
11/15/18 10:37 AM
11/15/18 10:37 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

New York City
Originally Posted by toddy
There is something that doesn't quite make sense to me about the coughing that you always get at classical concerts. If you need to cough, surely it would be possible to wait for a forte passage instead of spoiling a pianissimo or a break between movements or the transcendental 5 seconds at the end of a Schubert recital. Then, nobody would hear it as it'd be effectively masked by the dB level of the music.
As someone with a chronic cough problem, I can say it's definitely not true that one can hold in a cough for any length of time, even a few additional seconds. A cough will be heard in a loud passage although it's true that it will be less of a disruption.

As far as the end of the recital goes, it's possible that the cougher just didn't realize that it would be better to wait until Schiff was completely finished(for ten few more seconds after the piece ended) or he may have been struggling to hold in the cough for a while before the piece ended. No one knows but I think it kind of ruins the recital to do what Schiff did at the end. There are hundreds or thousands of people in the audience at these recitals and to expect perfect behavior from all of them is just unrealistic.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/15/18 10:40 AM.
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: toddy] #2781278
11/15/18 11:18 AM
11/15/18 11:18 AM
Greenwich, London, United King...
D
DazedAndConfused Offline
DazedAndConfused  Offline
D

Greenwich, London, United King...
Originally Posted by toddy

Sometimes coughing just cannot be avoided which is just something you accept in a public place. Or if you know you're going to cough a lot, don't go to a concert.

But most people, most of the time can control it as is proved by the fact that everyone coughs in a break.

Much better to do it in a loud bit or during applause, and no one would be bothered by it or even aware of it.

The mistake imo is to believe that because most people can control a cough most of the time therefore all people ought to be able to control a cough all of the time. This is plainly illogical.

I could just as easily argue that because hardly anyone ever coughs during a quiet passage, on the rare occasion that it does occur it is probably unavoidable. Tickets are not cheap, who would pay money to deliberately spoil the show for themselves and others?

Last edited by DazedAndConfused; 11/15/18 11:18 AM.
Re: A cougher put in his place - an extraordinary vignette [Re: David-G] #2781302
11/15/18 12:06 PM
11/15/18 12:06 PM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Yes, as I said above, coughing can't always be avoided and so is just something that you have to accept in public places. I just wish those that can control it (most people) would wait for loud sections.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Used upright Wurlitzer vs. Guild
by Mikka.kate. 11/20/18 01:34 PM
Feature Heip
by kmdmb. 11/20/18 12:03 PM
VPC1 Does not play iPad
by IosPlayer. 11/20/18 10:12 AM
Most new pianos sold?
by j&j. 11/20/18 09:25 AM
Will Garriton cfx run on this laptop?
by Rohit04062. 11/20/18 07:22 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,429
Posts2,762,873
Members91,533
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission