Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
69 registered members (Animisha, amad23, Alex_G, barbaram, Balezin Dmitry, agent8698, AndyP, 20 invisible), 949 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: chasingrainbows] #2794149
12/22/18 11:19 AM
12/22/18 11:19 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
Hi keystring, the student only wanted to learn correct fingering of chords, yet came with a variety of books on "how to play" chords, etc. He assured me he understood scales and chords. My question to him was, if he only wanted to learn how to play chords with correct fingering, he didn't need a teacher. I then demonstrated all the different varieties of how to play chords, and suggested he learn a scant melody line. He was all for it, yet never "practiced", missed one our of 4 lessons, then dropped.

I hate to say it, but this is very common with the older beginner and adult beginner student. If you wanted to learn how to fly a plane, you wouldn't tell the instructor the parts you want to learn, nor would a good instructor agree to teaching only those parts.

It's an overly simplified analogy, since there's not just one way to play piano. But the point is that if someone wants to learn, they do have to become teachable. This can be very difficult for the insecure, or for those accustomed to being good at something, for to learn you do have to allow yourself to make mistakes. It's humbling, and some people realize that's not for them, as I suspect the OP's student discovered.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: petebfrance] #2811221
02/06/19 12:56 AM
02/06/19 12:56 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ, USA
D
David D. Offline
David D.  Offline
D

Cherry Hill, NJ, USA
Originally Posted by petebfrance
Or you can just play 'broken chords' and get this effect:

<<See video in petebfrance's post above>>

I wish!

Pete,

Thank you for sharing that wonderfully sensitive rendition of the Bach Prelude No. 1 in C BWV 846. Great dynamics and timing.

This piece is an especially nice demonstration for a finger-picking guitarist who wants to apply his or her chord progression knowledge to piano. The Tzvi Erez performance shows how far one can develop a simple chord (arpeggio) progression. (And, it can be played alone, or as an accompaniment to Gounod's Ave Maria). Perhaps, it might even inspire a student to want to learn that piece (either the Prelude or Ave Maria).

Many published chord name progressions for the Bach Prelude No. 1 use unnecessarily complex chord names that incorporate the opening notes of the respective measures. However, when one uses the chord name slash bass note notation, a delightfully simple, logical progression emerges.

Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: David D.] #2811231
02/06/19 01:58 AM
02/06/19 01:58 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ, USA
D
David D. Offline
David D.  Offline
D

Cherry Hill, NJ, USA
Originally Posted by David D.

re: Bach Prelude No. 1 in C BWV 846.

...when one uses the chord name slash bass note notation, a delightfully simple, logical progression emerges.

The Bach Prelude No. 1 chord progression can be used for very satisfying exercises and creative experimentation.

One can start with playing straight chords, or straight, sustained arpeggios. After learning the chords, the student can then experiment with different arpeggio note-sequence patterns (Bach's and their own) and chord inversions. Some inversions are easier fingering transitions from chord to chord than others. The teacher can provide instruction, feedback and suggestions. This Bach chord progression becomes the basis for the student's own composition.

This type of activity is something that many guitarists do simply for their own pleasure, and which can be adapted to the piano.

Of course, this is not a chord progression to be used on Day 1. One would obviously start with more basic chord progressions. And an easy song that the student would relate to.

But, depending on the student, the Bach Prelude progression might be quite rewarding.

Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: David D.] #2813117
02/10/19 02:13 PM
02/10/19 02:13 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Online content
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida

re: Bach Prelude No. 1 in C BWV 846.

...when one uses the chord name slash bass note notation, a delightfully simple, logical progression emerges.

The Bach Prelude No. 1 chord progression can be used for very satisfying exercises and creative experimentation.

One can start with playing straight chords, or straight, sustained arpeggios. After learning the chords, the student can then experiment with different arpeggio note-sequence patterns (Bach's and their own) and chord inversions. Some inversions are easier fingering transitions from chord to chord than others. The teacher can provide instruction, feedback and suggestions. This Bach chord progression becomes the basis for the student's own composition.

This type of activity is something that many guitarists do simply for their own pleasure, and which can be adapted to the piano.

Of course, this is not a chord progression to be used on Day 1. One would obviously start with more basic chord progressions. And an easy song that the student would relate to.

But, depending on the student, the Bach Prelude progression might be quite rewarding.

David, this is how I teach this piece to all my students. I don't use Roman numerals. I use slash chords because they unite music of all periods.

Piano Teacher
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: David D.] #2813139
02/10/19 03:09 PM
02/10/19 03:09 PM
Brittany, France
P
petebfrance Online content
petebfrance  Online Content
P

Brittany, France
Originally Posted by petebfrance
Or you can just play 'broken chords' and get this effect:

<<See video in petebfrance's post above>>

I wish!

Pete,

Thank you for sharing that wonderfully sensitive rendition of the Bach Prelude No. 1 in C BWV 846. Great dynamics and timing.

This piece is an especially nice demonstration for a finger-picking guitarist who wants to apply his or her chord progression knowledge to piano. The Tzvi Erez performance shows how far one can develop a simple chord (arpeggio) progression. (And, it can be played alone, or as an accompaniment to Gounod's Ave Maria). Perhaps, it might even inspire a student to want to learn that piece (either the Prelude or Ave Maria).

Many published chord name progressions for the Bach Prelude No. 1 use unnecessarily complex chord names that incorporate the opening notes of the respective measures. However, when one uses the chord name slash bass note notation, a delightfully simple, logical progression emerges.

I'm glad you appreciated it! It was posted as a nice, simple (well, deceptively so) example of 'chord playing.' As you know, quite often music can be deconstructed and the various 'strands' (I've been using that word since seeing a Graham Fitch video!) within it can be satisfying on their own as in, well, 2 part, 3-part harmony I guess - so pulling out those 'strands' a pleasant experience. Well, that's my view....

regards
Pete
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater Keyboard Deals
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DP on a budget - new or used?
by Eggplanted. 02/19/19 04:26 AM
Bösendorfer 225 vs Fazioli F228 in 2019?
by pianissimoe. 02/19/19 12:27 AM
Improvising Pianists....but not Jazz?
by HC110. 02/18/19 09:09 PM
Avant Grand n1 vs n1x as midi controller
by Tommm777. 02/18/19 09:02 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics190,360
Posts2,796,781
Members92,511
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission