Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Our December 2018 Piano Newsletter Is Here!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
125 registered members (Arcflash, AAC127, baudelairepianist, anncarley, 90125, AnnInMiami, ando, BarryR, ahinton, 30 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: Gary D.] #2778572
11/05/18 08:30 PM
11/05/18 08:30 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by Gary D.
One of my students wanted to play "Here Comes the Sun". I didn't know what key it was until I listened. I had never thought about it. The YouTube recording is approximately A, but it is sharp to around A447=A448. Why? No idea. A seems logical for guitar, but I'm used to people changing pitch by speeding things up. I don't know if this is done today. Because my pitch is not critically linked to A440, I just listened, wrote it out, then gave it to her in A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeptwXeiY3U&t=99s

What do you hear?

Debussy footprints in the snow -- it's the wrong link.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: TimR] #2778609
11/06/18 01:14 AM
11/06/18 01:14 AM
California
500 Post Club Member
hello my name is  Offline
500 Post Club Member

California
Originally Posted by TimR

My mother remarked once about transposition, "it's not that hard. Just master seven clefs and you're done." Maybe so, it would be a large effort though, and for me a perishable skill.

Ugh, transposing. It's definitely useful in choir accompaniment, and I'm not skilled at it. Can I transpose? Oh yes, sure, in theory. In fact today, the choir director who only took a piano proficiency class in university scooted me over on the piano bench and played the warmup since I couldn't do it on the fly. Embarrassing, much? Why this sort of thing is not incorporated in CM exams, I wonder, as I think it should be. It's ridiculous to me that I took years of lessons yet in situations like these I'm a blind person at the piano. Really think piano education should be more well-rounded in this area.

So transposing. I find it practically impossible to do if I'm looking at a score, maybe analogous to folks like AZN reaching for wrong keys on a transposed keyboard. Stopping my brain from overcorrecting back to what is on the score is extremely difficult.

Without the score.. it's easier, but ask me to do anything more than arpeggios and scales or things shaped vaguely like arpeggios and scales, and I'll start trembling and hitting wrong notes. Without a visible key signature to cue me, I feel like I'm driving with very fuzzy lanes and it doesn't end well.

I videotaped my choir director as I intend to learn the warmup, transposed, but I'm afraid my brain will take the easiest route, and will only memorize the entire warmup as an individual entity... I suppose the best way to learn to transpose would be to practice. Twould be like forcing myself to write with my left hand -- painful and looks like a kindergartner's work lol.

Piano Teacher in Training
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: JohnSprung] #2778611
11/06/18 01:22 AM
11/06/18 01:22 AM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
[quote=Gary D.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_O1QKQCsGs

Let's see if this fixes the problem. You must have been the first person to even check.

Piano Teacher
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: Gary D.] #2778717
11/06/18 11:41 AM
11/06/18 11:41 AM
California
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

California
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
[quote=Gary D.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_O1QKQCsGs

Let's see if this fixes the problem. You must have been the first person to even check.

I checked, and still thought it sounded high, which just shows that I was biased cause of your comment and actually can't hear it lol.

Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: hello my name is] #2778771
11/06/18 02:22 PM
11/06/18 02:22 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by hello my name is
Ugh, transposing. It's definitely useful in choir accompaniment, and I'm not skilled at it. Can I transpose? Oh yes, sure, in theory. In fact today, the choir director who only took a piano proficiency class in university scooted me over on the piano bench and played the warmup since I couldn't do it on the fly. Embarrassing, much? Why this sort of thing is not incorporated in CM exams, I wonder, as I think it should be. It's ridiculous to me that I took years of lessons yet in situations like these I'm a blind person at the piano. Really think piano education should be more well-rounded in this area.

The problem is that very few piano teachers actually can do this. One of my transfer students who moved from out of state had to do simple transpositions on her home state's piano test.

So transposing. I find it practically impossible to do if I'm looking at a score, maybe analogous to folks like AZN reaching for wrong keys on a transposed keyboard. Stopping my brain from overcorrecting back to what is on the score is extremely difficult.

You are mixing two scenarios. I reach for wrong keys if the keyboard is transposed. That's because I have perfect pitch. But I can do transpositions on the fly when I play very simple music. Choral accompanists should be able to do simple transpositions on the fly. When I was teaching choir, one of my accompanists was trained to do difficult transpositions on the fly, and even he messed up sometimes.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: hello my name is] #2778794
11/06/18 03:28 PM
11/06/18 03:28 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida

I checked, and still thought it sounded high, which just shows that I was biased cause of your comment and actually can't hear it lol.

If you don't have a strong pitch link, you're doing the wrong thing. Play the video, then while it is playing strike a strong A chord on the piano and listen to the two together. You should hear that the piano is clearly lower, or the recording is clearly higher.

Piano Teacher
Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: AZNpiano] #2779009
11/07/18 03:17 PM
11/07/18 03:17 PM
California
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

California
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

You are mixing two scenarios. I reach for wrong keys if the keyboard is transposed. That's because I have perfect pitch. But I can do transpositions on the fly when I play very simple music. Choral accompanists should be able to do simple transpositions on the fly. When I was teaching choir, one of my accompanists was trained to do difficult transpositions on the fly, and even he messed up sometimes.

No I was mixing for the analogy of the brain. Because you have perfect pitch you can't ignore what you're hearing, whereas I don't, so I am easily ignorant of what I'm hearing. Same with trying to transpose while I am looking at a score. I can't ignore what I'm seeing.

Re: Adult only wants to learn chords? [Re: Gary D.] #2779010
11/07/18 03:18 PM
11/07/18 03:18 PM
California
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

California

If you don't have a strong pitch link, you're doing the wrong thing. Play the video, then while it is playing strike a strong A chord on the piano and listen to the two together. You should hear that the piano is clearly lower, or the recording is clearly higher.

Ok yes my piano sounds horribly flat if I play it against the video.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thoughts on Casio PX-330 vs. PX-160?
by Arcflash. 12/16/18 05:36 PM
Keyboard and Climate Change?
by malkin. 12/16/18 05:05 PM
What are scales in "long form?"
by Tyrone Slothrop. 12/16/18 03:51 PM
Any info on SHUTES spinet piano?
by Mystery. 12/16/18 03:13 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,947
Posts2,771,996
Members91,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission