Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
77 registered members (Bill McKaig,RPT, Bambers, cardguy2.0, akc42, bluebillytwo, Bett, almo82, barbaram, 15 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2771616
10/11/18 07:25 PM
10/11/18 07:25 PM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Originally Posted by Chris Snyder
... Now on to all the other fun: scheduling the move with a piano mover, deciding whether we need caster cups (the casters are quite wide already, but it is going on a hardwood floor), ...

My Schimmel (2010 C-182) came with castor caps. I soon had a sore ankle from pedalling the raised pedal. My piano was on carpeted concrete, so within a week, I'd removed the castor caps.

There are options
1) ensure that the castors of the piano are located over solid bearers or joists - this could mark the timber permanently though;
2) keep the castors, and place a compensating pad under your heel - you'll need to increase the height of the bench to compensate
3) keep the castors and put a compensating board or similar under the pedals AND bench.

In hindsight, I would have done 2) - but I wasn't going to put them back - the piano was VERY heavy, and putting them back was probably a little trickier than taking them out.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: backto_study_piano] #2771624
10/11/18 07:34 PM
10/11/18 07:34 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
... Now on to all the other fun: scheduling the move with a piano mover, deciding whether we need caster cups (the casters are quite wide already, but it is going on a hardwood floor), ...

My Schimmel (2010 C-182) came with castor caps. I soon had a sore ankle from pedalling the raised pedal. My piano was on carpeted concrete, so within a week, I'd removed the castor caps.

There are options
1) ensure that the castors of the piano are located over solid bearers or joists - this could mark the timber permanently though;
2) keep the castors, and place a compensating pad under your heel - you'll need to increase the height of the bench to compensate
3) keep the castors and put a compensating board or similar under the pedals AND bench.

In hindsight, I would have done 2) - but I wasn't going to put them back - the piano was VERY heavy, and putting them back was probably a little trickier than taking them out.
When my M&H BB arrived, the pedals were WAY TOO HIGH, even though the castor plate only 1/4” thick. I complained to M&H, and they sent a technician with a fix for the pedals under warrenty. It is now perfect. The fix was simply three very thick pieces of leather (sheepskin) that were placed inside the pedal lyre mechanism. Apperently, they send out the pianos with high pedals as standard, and change them as required for the customer preference.

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2771626
10/11/18 07:48 PM
10/11/18 07:48 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California

I just use a block of wood under my heel, on top of a piece of rubber mat, which protects the floor from wear.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2771771
10/12/18 09:21 AM
10/12/18 09:21 AM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
C
Chris Snyder Offline OP
Chris Snyder  Offline OP
C

Grand Rapids, Michigan
We've decided to go with caster cups. I'm not too worried about pedal height. Looking at the various pianos I play on regularly (including an upright Schimmel on a dolly), I'm sure the height is all over the place. And as an organist, I'm used to dealing with a lot more than three pedals that aren't the optimal height.

My only concern would be for my wife's piano students, that it doesn't cause an issue for them. Though at this point her students aren't at a level where it would make much of a difference, since she mainly teaches beginners (she feels especially called and gifted for that kind of teaching, even though many "professional" teachers look down on it).

After talking with the movers, it looks like there's a good chance we'll be getting the piano next week. I'll be sure to post pictures!

1999 Schimmel CC213T (incoming)
2006 Yamaha M450

Avocational organist, pianist, and chorister
Married to a piano teacher
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2771951
10/12/18 07:37 PM
10/12/18 07:37 PM
Queensland, Australia
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
We've decided to go with caster cups. I'm not too worried about pedal height. Looking at the various pianos I play on regularly (including an upright Schimmel on a dolly), I'm sure the height is all over the place. And as an organist, I'm used to dealing with a lot more than three pedals that aren't the optimal height.

My only concern would be for my wife's piano students, that it doesn't cause an issue for them. Though at this point her students aren't at a level where it would make much of a difference, since she mainly teaches beginners (she feels especially called and gifted for that kind of teaching, even though many "professional" teachers look down on it).

After talking with the movers, it looks like there's a good chance we'll be getting the piano next week. I'll be sure to post pictures!

Sounds great - enjoy your new piano. I'm a Pipe Organist too - play 5 or 6 different ones, and the bench height and other dimensions are all different - even the 2 almost identical Allens. We learn to adapt. My Church's Allen - I donated a replacement adjustable bench to replace the standard bench recently - there are 4 or 5 other organists who occasionally play, and we were always changing blocks under the bench - had a collection of different sizes.

You can always put a plate or something under your heel area at a later date.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2771987
10/12/18 10:13 PM
10/12/18 10:13 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
My degree is in performance organ, but that has nothing to do with pedal height.

You make it sound as if only organists are able to adapt to a poorly designed pedal lyre.

Why not expect the piano manufacturer or dealer or your technician to correct the issue?

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2772187
10/13/18 04:01 PM
10/13/18 04:01 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
Lady Bird  Offline
L

North Vancouver
A piano technician once told me about a woman who once danced with her high heels on ,on the top of an expensive grand piano at some venue for some special event.The manager most terribly upset called someone to attend to the dotted marks all over the top
of the piano .Don't who was sued for the damage !!! Enjoy your Schimmel, and no dancing

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2772259
10/13/18 10:38 PM
10/13/18 10:38 PM
Pacific Northwest
P
PianogrlNW Offline
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Pacific Northwest
I have castor cups on my 1988 Schimmel grand and the pedal hieght has never been a problem. My piano has been remarkably stable with a tuning required only about once every two years. That may have someting to do with living in a temperate climate with low humidity. Hope you enjoy your Schimmel for years to come.

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2772647
10/15/18 08:47 AM
10/15/18 08:47 AM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
C
Chris Snyder Offline OP
Chris Snyder  Offline OP
C

Grand Rapids, Michigan
No dancing on it... check (though my kids are losing some of their dance floor space in the living room).

We'll be putting it on a six-month tuning schedule (the minimum for a teaching piano, IMHO).

2006 Yamaha M450

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2772653
10/15/18 09:11 AM
10/15/18 09:11 AM
Queensland, Australia
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Yes - though you might want to keep an ear on it in the beginning - you'll want it serviced when it acclimatises/settles in maybe 6 or 8 weeks, and consider another after maybe another 3 months - then every 6 months might work. Getting it off to a good stable start is a good idea. But - it might be fine - each piano and each environment is different.

Mine was new, and I found 3-4 months was needed initially between services, but now it's 4+ yrs old, I'm more like every 5-6 months.

Enjoy your new piano!!!!!

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: dhull100] #2772777
10/15/18 05:05 PM
10/15/18 05:05 PM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

中国
The house has been unoccupied since the owner passed away in June, but the family has been in it frequently to go through his belongings. They also mentioned that they had the A/C turned on all summer. We're in Michigan, and summers can get quite humid.

That is a strange assertion. Who runs A/C for months with nobody in the house?

Originally Posted by dhull100
Were the more confluent areas puffy and raised from surface? It seems so in the photos, and that would be fungal / mold growth of some sort. (I only offer an opinion because I specialize in laboratory medicine and have seen too many colonies of mold to count, though not on wood!) Hopefully none inside anywhere; I'm sure the technician can advise.

You may have mold in your old house. But you don't know if the mold on the piano is dangerous.

Originally Posted by MarkL
I've used this mold testing lab for a few things I've found in house basements. It's easy to take the sample, they send a pdf report in 24 hours, and you'll know everything from the latin scientific name to whether it's dangerous and how to get rid of it.

For health & safety, I think this is a good call.

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: Chris Snyder] #2772877
10/15/18 10:17 PM
10/15/18 10:17 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
C
Chris Snyder Offline OP
Chris Snyder  Offline OP
C

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Who runs A/C for months with nobody in the house?

That's what they told me, and I have no reason to distrust them. They were in and out quite a bit cleaning it out.

2006 Yamaha M450

Re: White mold(?) on bottom of rim of a Schimmel CC213T [Re: newer player] #2772883
10/15/18 10:29 PM
10/15/18 10:29 PM
Queensland, Australia
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Originally Posted by newer player
That is a strange assertion. Who runs A/C for months with nobody in the house?

I ran my a/c in one house I had - 24 hrs a day when I was transferred in my job a couple of hundred kilometers away, and I was living away Mon-Fri.

The house was on the market for a couple of months, I kept the a/c on to stop it getting musty inside. That was mid-summer, and RH would be in the 70-80% range, temps in the 30-38 C range, much of the time when we had sticky NE sea winds.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital dynamics
by Michael P Walsh. 10/18/18 05:53 AM
Kawai GX2 vs. Shigeru SK2
by almo82. 10/18/18 04:27 AM
3 Pedals at once
by almo82. 10/18/18 04:03 AM
8Dio pianos
by Grazilerimba. 10/18/18 03:11 AM
my new Kawai CE7N
by Kevin_kawai. 10/18/18 02:27 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,872
Posts2,753,612
Members91,276
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission