Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Our December 2018 Piano Newsletter Is Here!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
135 registered members (ando, Arcflash, BarryR, 90125, AnnInMiami, ahinton, baudelairepianist, accordeur, amad23, 31 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tone Production [Re: Colin Miles] #2771778
10/12/18 08:35 AM
10/12/18 08:35 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Prout - as a scientist I totally understand where you are coming from. But as an erstwhile engineer, like Rubberfingers, I will doubtless argue in considering the mechanics involved. Also I thought there were sufficient differences in the graphs - I apologise if I am reading them wrongly. And yes these kind of arguments date back a long time - in my case more than 50 years!
I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

If you look closely at the second set of graphs and compare the left and right graphs of each of the three measured parameters from the instant of hammer/string (hs) contact, you will see that the post contact key and hammer velocities are nearly the same and that the waveform is essentially identical, in spite of the left graph set showing a pressed key and the right graph set showing a struck key.

Note that the final velocities of the key and hammer at string contact and the amplitude and partial structure of the resulting waveform are the same left to right as well. It clearly shows that the whatever happens with the action prior to the hammer strike, the result is the same.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Tone Production [Re: prout] #2771825
10/12/18 11:34 AM
10/12/18 11:34 AM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
Originally Posted by prout
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Prout - as a scientist I totally understand where you are coming from. But as an erstwhile engineer, like Rubberfingers, I will doubtless argue in considering the mechanics involved. Also I thought there were sufficient differences in the graphs - I apologise if I am reading them wrongly. And yes these kind of arguments date back a long time - in my case more than 50 years!
I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

If you look closely at the second set of graphs and compare the left and right graphs of each of the three measured parameters from the instant of hammer/string (hs) contact, you will see that the post contact key and hammer velocities are nearly the same and that the waveform is essentially identical, in spite of the left graph set showing a pressed key and the right graph set showing a struck key.

Note that the final velocities of the key and hammer at string contact and the amplitude and partial structure of the resulting waveform are the same left to right as well. It clearly shows that the whatever happens with the action prior to the hammer strike, the result is the same.

So it possibly comes down to a question of whether these very minor differences can be detected by us humans!

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Tone Production [Re: GoldmanT] #2771993
10/12/18 09:43 PM
10/12/18 09:43 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
If a hammer is striking the string before the damper is clear, the action is not properly regulated and any pianistic techniques to somehow mitigate this mechanical issue are not ones that would find a more general application.

There are some technicians who in an effort to "lighten" the touch they place the damper lift later in the key stroke. This creates many issues. One you may notice is when escapement and damper lift occur simultaneously instead of damper lift preceding the escapement point which is the norm, is that playing soft and even becomes impossible.

The most productive way to lighten and action is to reduce the weight of the hammers. A small amount of reduction has a profound effect on control. Even if the down weight is reduced by only 1-2 grams; becuase the hammer is the predominant factor in the inertia of the action, you will notice a big difference when you play.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What are scales in "long form?"
by Tyrone Slothrop. 12/16/18 03:51 PM
Any info on SHUTES spinet piano?
by Mystery. 12/16/18 03:13 PM
Clicks, squeaks, and buzzes...
by Wry Guy. 12/16/18 03:07 PM
How do switch Local Control on/off from PC?
by WarrenY. 12/16/18 02:03 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,945
Posts2,771,969
Members91,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission