Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
75 registered members (annieb, 1606, AnnInMiami, astrotoy, AZNpiano, Carey, 18 invisible), 1,015 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Debussy Recital - June 2018 - General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S] #2746400
06/22/18 05:01 PM
06/22/18 05:01 PM
G
GoldmanT Offline
GoldmanT  Offline
G

15. GoldmanT - Danseuses de Delphes

One thing that learning these preludes taught me is that you can always play softer, and you can always accentuate the contrast between different dynamics more, and I hear that during some of the transitions between sections. After saying previously that I don’t like too much rubato, I hear that I could let this piece breathe a bit more in some parts - I read once that it should be a dance, not a dirge, but I think I stuck to the even pulse a little too much.

16. gingko2 - The Little Shepherd

I’m still not enamoured with this composition so I listened to a professional recording on youtube and am still not that keen! I can see why people try it as an easier window into Debussy’s works but it feels like an uphill struggle, it’s quite a ‘naked’ piece and there’s not really much to work with. You contrast the single note lines well with the more sustained chords, and you’ve captured the little ‘leaping’ feeling in the main melodies very well. And the pacing and tempo seems to work well.

17. GoldmanT - Canope

Similar to Danseuses, I think this could breathe a little more, and also be taken slightly slower, especially the very first and last parts with the block chords moving around. I love some of the chords and tonalities in this piece, but they have to be carefully balanced with the pedal – there are always pedal instructions implied by the note lengths and rests written into the score, and I try to use this to help me avoid just jamming the pedal down for whole sections, the important bit is usually when you lift up the pedal, not when you push it down. I fluffed up one of the parts about 2/3 of the way through but as usual if someone didn’t know the piece they wouldn’t pick up on it.

18. GoldmanT - Minstrels

As above, this is slower than usually played, but this is just the way I felt it. It’s the performance I’m least happy with, the rhythmic parts need to be more even, although it IS supposed to be ‘nerveux’, but it shouldn’t be the pianist that sounds ‘nerveux’. 😊. AGAIN again, the obligatory wrong notes undetectable to those who don’t know the piece, and a few of the tambour rolls not quite articulated as well as they should be, and probably some other stuff that could be tightened up. I do love some parts of this composition, it combines Romantic parody (I hear it about three quarters of the way through) with things that wouldn’t be out of place in a 70s funk tune.

19. GoldmanT - Voiles

This is the performance I’m most proud of, mainly because it’s an incredible and subtle composition, but also because I left it the longest before recording it, probably two months from beginning to end. I really worked on the soft contrasts and careful pedalling. There’s a pedal choice right before the Eb minor pentatonic bit in the middle that I would change, and the glissandos could have more clarity, but overall there’s not much I would change about this. Ask me again in a year though! And the recording level is a bit quiet, I could maybe have compressed the loud part in the middle to increase the overall level.

20. timmyab - Clair de Lune

I can see why people love this composition, and if you go through the various changes of harmony, particularly between the opening and ending sections it really takes you on a journey. It’s open to a lot of interpretation, quicker or slower, louder or softer in parts, and it never sounds ‘wrong’. This is a solid, consistent performance, if anything it suffers from being played on a cheaper digital piano but it has a lot of soul, you should be very pleased with this. 😊

21. Palmpirate - Debussy Bergamasque Suite Prelude

Never heard any of the Bergamasque except for Clair de Lune so this was interesting to hear, especially now I know it was ‘old’ Debussy revised by ‘new’ Debussy. There was a lot of pedal in this but you balanced it all very well and the recording sounds pretty clear even on my wee laptop speakers. Again, another solid performance but I’m not familiar enough with the piece to critique it too much.

22. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1

And this is where we came in! The crickets and slightly out of tune piano actually suit this as a final piece in the recital, it’s like someone stayed up until 3am to have a play on the barroom piano while the barkeeper impatiently sweeps up around them. smile It’s getting on for midnight here so I’m running out of ear capacity but it was nice to hear another take on this beautiful piece.

And we’re done. I really enjoyed listening to all of these – I think I liked Debussy more and more the older he got, which is why it’s a shame that he didn’t get to continue composing as Tim pointed out. So because of that I might go and listen to the etudes (again, never heard them yet) but from what I’ve read of them won’t be attempting to play them any time soon!

Re: Debussy Recital - June 2018 - General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S] #2746906
06/25/18 08:27 AM
06/25/18 08:27 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
I listened to the entries this past weekend. I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing. I think it will be sometime before I try Debussy. Perhaps Clair de Lune, I think that was my favorite smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Debussy Recital - June 2018 - General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S] #2751054
07/12/18 04:33 PM
07/12/18 04:33 PM
S
schinl Offline
schinl  Offline
S

01. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Arabesque 1
My dream piece! You play so beautifully. Recording seems to be an art in itself, but I think it sounds wonderful.

02. FrankieC - Reverie
It may be a duplicate submission, but new to me! You play very delicately, I'm practicing this piece as well but could not get such fluidity in the left hand. Wonderful! And wow the piano sounds so amazing. I played an RX7 earlier this year and fell in love with it. Your RX6 sounds comparable!

03. Tim Adrianson - Masques
Amazing, wow!!!! Such beautiful sounds. This piece is new to me. Thanks for the introduction! You say it is not technically difficult, but it sounds like a killer to me!

04. Tim Adrianson - Berceuse Heroique
Yes, this does sound properly somber. I wonder what the Belgian soldiers think about this piece.

05. Tim Adrianson - La Cathedrale Engloutie
Upon reading your description of a floating and disappearing of a cathedral, I feel the tempo is appropriate. It definitely evokes the Debussy style haze of beautiful sound. I can just imagine it sounds so heavenly in person.

06. Jouishy - The little shepherd
I'm glad the examiner liked this one.. I like it too. It sounds so beautiful and evocative.

07. cmb13 - Craig - La Fille Aux Cheveux De Lin
I'm not sure if moving the mic would make a significant difference, but it seems recording it very difficult in capturing every nuance in this piece. I think it sounds beautiful though, nevertheless.

08. Sam S - Des pas sur la neige (Footprints in the Snow)
How wonderful that you have first hand experience to interpret this piece just how Debussy would have wanted it. I can certainly sense the loneliness and calm you must have felt.

09. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin
Your playing and piano sounds so beautiful. I wish I could listen to it in person!

10. dynamibt/Marilyn - Reverie (to do)
Very evocative and emotional!

Re: Debussy Recital - June 2018 - General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S] #2751079
07/12/18 06:03 PM
07/12/18 06:03 PM
S
schinl Offline
schinl  Offline
S

11. Tim Adrianson - Cloches a Travers les Feuilles
I can certainly picture leaves blowing and church bells ringing in this piece. I really enjoy the Oriental-ish sounds in Debussy's pieces ("Pagodes" is a personal favorite), and one day wish I could play like you!

12. Tim Adrianson - Et la Lune Descend sur le Temple qui Fut
This one is quite interesting... I think too advanced for me to appreciate. If I was to attempt it, I wouldn't be able to tell if I'm playing a wrong note! Haha.

13. Tim Adrianson - "Les Fees Sont d'Exquises Danseuses"
I really enjoy the stories you provide for the pieces. It definitely puts the piece in context and helps us appreciate the piece more.

14. dynamobt/Marilyn - Arabesque I
So beautiful! Thanks for resubmitting.

15. GoldmanT - Danseuses de Delph
Gorgeous! I didn't know Debussy could get so jazzy smile I would like to try this too, one day. I'm sure the pedalling gets crazy, so many deep bass notes.

16. gingko2 - The Little Shepherd
One of my favorites from Children's Corner. I think you have a beautiful, delicate touch your teacher would be pleased with.

17. GoldmanT - Canope
Yes, I can imagine the archeologist, too.

18. GoldmanT - Minstrels
What a funny little piece. So different from Debussy's usual huge evocative pieces. I love it! So fun.

19. GoldmanT - Voiles
Quite interesting.. I think this piece is too advanced for me to appreciate. It's definitely very impressionistic... sorry Debussy, but it is!

20. timmyab - Clair de Lune
I have the same Yamaha book! And this piece is bookmarked, too. Sounds beautiful, even if you think you've taken liberties. I wonder which part you think wasn't correct?

21. Palmpirate - Debussy Bergamasque Suite Prelude
'Quaking in your boots!' I think it is wonderful indeed and you should be so proud. Hardly noticed any mistakes.

22. Ael M. (aelmabalod) - Arabesque no. 1
I like the crickets actually! And you play very beautifully!

(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater Keyboard Deals
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are these 15-degree tuning pins?
by edferris. 02/15/19 09:18 PM
Turn Digital Piano into full Midi Controller?
by FlexHank. 02/15/19 04:05 PM
Looking for fun beginner classical organ piece
by oneilt130. 02/15/19 03:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics190,288
Posts2,795,588
Members92,475
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission