Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
69 registered members (90125, Artur Gajewski, AprilE, Anticlock, 7uturu, AssociateX, ando, Bett, 16 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two #2740729
05/30/18 01:02 PM
05/30/18 01:02 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Novelette take two

This is by no means my final say on this piece. I think its much improved and have tightened the screws on some sloppiness and oversight in the previous recording but there's a lot more to figure out interpretively.

1) constructive criticism welcome

2) please don't take an afternoon out of your day for in depth analysis and criticism (thanks again MikeN)

3) I hope at least in part I've responded well to previously received feedback

4) please enjoy

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: Vid] #2742940
06/08/18 12:56 AM
06/08/18 12:56 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
I think your interpretation of the middle section, with the imitation motifs, is wonderful. Best part by far.

If you were looking to improve any particular part, I would suggest the ending. You gotta nail that for the performance to succeed.

The lyrical theme, and your big slowdowns, still aren't quite working for me. Those sections need to progress and the melodic lines need to live long enough to be picked up by the next ones.

Can you get the tempo up a bit? Not much, but enough to give the march sections real momentum.

Wish I could talk to you in real time about this piece, which I love so much. You obviously have a deep insight into it. As someone once said, or maybe this is me saying it for the first time, you need to go deeper. IMO.

SRF
Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: Vid] #2743073
06/08/18 02:42 PM
06/08/18 02:42 PM
T
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Hi, Vid -- This is a piece that I, like SiFi, have studied pretty thoroughly. First, let me say that the second "take" is indeed a marked improvement over your first, in a lot of ways. I liked especially how you shaped the material throughout -- I could follow your sense of how the music should ebb and flow throughout, and some of your ideas were compelling to me. Personally, I find your stately treatment of the main theme to be too slow -- I tend to favor a greater contrast between it and the more intimate, lyrical "B" and "C" sections than you're providing here, and I prefer a more vigorous marching quality. And I would agree with SiFi that you need to establish this in order to make the Coda material work to full effect -- just a final declamation in the last 2 - 3 measures is not enough in itself. And I have to admit that those ingenious harmonic shifts in the Coda are my favorite part of the piece -- it just works so well as a finishing surge.

My only other comment is that there are seven other Novelletten of similar high quality -- I don't hear the Novelletten programmed much at all, but if do hear them, it invariably seems to be Op 21 - 1. The set as a whole is just vintage Schumann, but they sure seem to get overlooked, IMO.

Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: Vid] #2743120
06/08/18 07:53 PM
06/08/18 07:53 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Thank you for the feedback. I don't think there's anything I would disagree with. I'm going to let things ferment a bit with this piece before sharing another recording. I would like to get the tempo up which may take some time with the left hand octave triplets.

I may have to give up and roll those big chords in the coda section too.

Tim: I'll have to become more familiar with the others. I think the first one may be one of the easiest ones on the technical side. It would be pushing my ability to try some of the others but yes, its vintage Schumann and well worth exploring.

• Schimmel Upright

Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: Tim Adrianson] #2743147
06/08/18 11:17 PM
06/08/18 11:17 PM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
My only other comment is that there are seven other Novelletten of similar high quality -- I don't hear the Novelletten programmed much at all, but if do hear them, it invariably seems to be Op 21 - 1. The set as a whole is just vintage Schumann, but they sure seem to get overlooked, IMO.

I could not agree more, Tim. I love all of them. I made some progress learning the very tricky (and not terribly pianistic) #2 and even posted something about it here I think. However, I got frustrated trying to find fingerings that would work for the RH repetitions and then moved on to something else.

Vid -- If you're reading this, I'd recommend No. 6 as a really nice project. I was able to learn it without too much hardship; it's probably the second easiest after #1. It's also absolutely gorgeous: poetic and lyrical in the best Schumann tradition. There are some technical challenges, but nothing that should give you too much trouble.

The big Kahuna is #8, which I vowed to myself I would learn someday. But as with so many of my pianistic aspirations, it's mañana, mañana, mañana. What can I say? Maybe something for my next incarnation.

SRF
Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: Vid] #2743150
06/08/18 11:39 PM
06/08/18 11:39 PM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Vid
I'll have to become more familiar with the others. I think the first one may be one of the easiest ones on the technical side. It would be pushing my ability to try some of the others but yes, its vintage Schumann and well worth exploring.

Hey Vid. Not sure you will have seen my other post, but if you're looking to try another Novelette, I'd check out #6. Eminently playable for someone with your solid technical skills and a truly beautiful piece with enough interpretive open-endedness to make it really interesting.

Here's a pretty performance, with #7 and #8 as a bonus. You'll need to turn your volume up.

SRF
Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: SiFi] #2743152
06/09/18 12:04 AM
06/09/18 12:04 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Online content
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Online Content
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by SiFi
Vid -- If you're reading this, I'd recommend No. 6 as a really nice project. I was able to learn it without too much hardship; it's probably the second easiest after #1. It's also absolutely gorgeous: poetic and lyrical in the best Schumann tradition. There are some technical challenges, but nothing that should give you too much trouble.
I've played No. 1 and 2 - and have been working from to time on No. 7 - which is much shorter - and [for me at least) not as difficult as No. 6. smile The main challenge with No. 7 is the octaves. However, we'll see how I do if and when I ever get around to recording it. And I agree - No. 8 is beautiful !!

Last edited by Carey; 06/09/18 12:05 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: Vid] #2744301
06/14/18 02:40 AM
06/14/18 02:40 AM
Ohio
M
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member
MikeN  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Ohio
I just wanted to chime in, as late as I am, in agreement with everyone else that this is a great improvement over your last take.

Your improvements in shaping and balancing of lines in the Trio in particular are especially impressive. Really. It's night and day.

So, what can I say that might be helpful?

Well, first I'll somewhat agree with the rest of the comments encouraging a faster tempo, but I'll say it with a different intention. To me it's not so much the tempo that's the issue as much as it's the lack of a sense of the lines in the outer march sections being long and pushing forward or being on the front side of the tempo as opposed to being casually in tempo or the other extreme, lagging behind, which I wouldn't say your guilty of.

So in other words, you have a tempo. You can be pushing forward within the tempo. You can be casually moving along within the tempo. You can also be dragging behind within the tempo. Your casually moving along with the tempo. I myself, and I think also the others who have commented think you need be pushing forward so the march doesn't sound too relaxed or lazy.

I hope this makes sense.

My other nitpick, which no one else seems to have mentioned, is that you prepare us for every change of section in the the piece by either making a slight ritardando at the end of a section or easing into the tempo of the new section or taking a bit of time between sections. I'd get rid of this as much as possible. Maybe a tiny bit of time to let the phrase finish off at the end of the trio sections, but even there as little as possible. All these preparations make the piece feel long and a bit tedious. It's especially noticeable from the end of the choral to the recap of the trio in A major. Within six measures you have 2 very transitions which make me think, "Oh...greaaat. There's more." Don't allow me to think this. Don't give me time to think about what's coming next. Let's all be surprised by what Schumann has up his sleeve this time.

All that said, your doing great work on this piece, and I hope we'll hear some more Schumann from you in the future.

Re: Novelette Op 21 No 1 - take two [Re: Vid] #2744501
06/14/18 06:10 PM
06/14/18 06:10 PM
Vancouver, B.C.
Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Vid  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks Mike and the others.

It makes sense what you say about the tempo. If I understand what you're saying that section could use more sense of urgency and more shaping within its phrases too.

And yes, I hear what you're saying about the transitions. Actually they are one of more difficult aspects of it interpretively because you have to transition suddenly into very different moods. Maybe intentionally not anticipating what is coming next will help that flow a bit.

Nice that Schumann has garnered some attention on here!

• Schimmel Upright

Moderated by  Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Butt string replacement 1890's Ronisch grand piano
by WillSharpe. 12/09/18 11:30 PM
Question on 1988 Yamaha G2
by mackguy. 12/09/18 11:06 PM
Question about measuring equipment for humidity etc
by MrCatMissMew. 12/09/18 09:29 PM
Kawai MP11se Goes iPad
by IosPlayer. 12/09/18 06:12 PM
Computer/recording Dvice needed
by Chris Warren. 12/09/18 03:01 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,809
Posts2,769,582
Members91,713
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission