2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Andre8, AlkansBookcase, AmyL, ADWyatt, Americas, aaria, Aliasjunto, baronzo, astrotoy, 9 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
YATT Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
It is so hard to not play it (kids are sleeping). Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
smile

I
I
All minor issues most likely and easily fixed. Congrats!

I
I
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Roy123
I once moved my vertical piano away from the wall and was surprised at how much better is sounded. Of course, the ability to put a vertical up against a wall is why most people buy them.

And they are pretty much designed for that purpose - otherwise the rear of the piano would have a nicer looking backside than exposed wood support beams and the soundboard.

Too true, but one has to wonder. The pianos sound exponentially better when in the center of a room. If you think of the room between the soundboard and the floor and I grand, and move it away from the wall that far you will like the sound I am sure. I take the front panels off as well and it sounds amazing. (In my completely subjective and individual environment of course. ;))

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Wow, the piano looks beautiful!!! Congratulations!!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Issadore
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Roy123
I once moved my vertical piano away from the wall and was surprised at how much better is sounded. Of course, the ability to put a vertical up against a wall is why most people buy them.

And they are pretty much designed for that purpose - otherwise the rear of the piano would have a nicer looking backside than exposed wood support beams and the soundboard.

Too true, but one has to wonder. The pianos sound exponentially better when in the center of a room. If you think of the room between the soundboard and the floor and I grand, and move it away from the wall that far you will like the sound I am sure. I take the front panels off as well and it sounds amazing. (In my completely subjective and individual environment of course. ;))
I bet it really does sound amazing. thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Osho
Wow, the piano looks beautiful!!! Congratulations!!

Osho

I agree. I wouldn't leave the lid open all the time, however.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Looks beautiful! Congratulations on your new piano, hopefully the teething issues you have identified will be easily fixed. Wishing you and your family many happy years of music making!

[Linked Image]
Y
YATT Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by BruceD

I agree. I wouldn't leave the lid open all the time, however.

Regards,

Bruce, I see dust being an issue and kids hands, but is there another reason I should know for not leaving it open? Just trying to learn here. Thanks

Online Content
I agree that opening the lid on an upright piano will yield more sound and subtle nuances. But I rarely ever open the lid on my Kawai upright. For one, it is located in part of our living room, and has a brass music-desk lamp on top of the piano, along with some pictures and nick-knacks my wife insists on putting on top of the piano. So, I would have to move some stuff off the lid to open it.

Oh yea, the Kawai upright also has a little wood prop specifically for propping the lid open. So, it can be left open on the prop, if desired. It just depends on personal preference.

I keep the lid closed on my Yamaha C7, with fly-lid folded back, most all the time; I do raise the lid occasionally when I play it. There is never any kind of nick-knack or object on the lid of my grand pianos, ever. I keep the lid raised on my Baldwin R all the time.

It's all just a matter of preference. But most uprights I've seen in homes do not have the lid raised/open most of the time.

Just my .02. :-)

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I only open my lid while I'm playing. Otherwise, it's complete closed - fallboard too. I just don't want dust collecting in it. The insides are just too hard to clean.

I
I
By keeping it closed you are also minimally protecting the action from rapid humidity and temp changes. Only minimally though. Also dissuades unwanted guests like moths. I open when I play because the high frequencies are quite deadened otherwise. Otherwise it is closed.

Y
YATT Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Just a follow up. We did a subsequent tune and adjustment. The vibration and mute issues are fixed! Thanks again PW!

I
I
Also, for reducing floor vibrations you can try these! Hope you are enjoying the new piano.
http://www.pianoforteservice.com/piano-noise-reduction/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Victory Vertical parts acquisition
by ArukahPiano - 04/24/24 06:56 PM
Power supply when moving from USA to UK
by Stephen7179 - 04/24/24 06:45 PM
First post here..."Poor man's Pianofit"
by Cleartrueblue - 04/24/24 06:05 PM
Piano Competitions for Amateurs
by Sion - 04/24/24 04:47 PM
Just how loud is it under a piano?
by srsg90 - 04/24/24 04:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,490
Posts3,350,777
Members111,699
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission