Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
105 registered members (AnnInMiami, anotherscott, ando, BarryR, akressevich, 90125, bambooninja, 26 invisible), 1,209 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801319
01/12/19 04:01 PM
01/12/19 04:01 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,805
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,805
Florida
Yes, that was a ton of fun! So unbelievably amazing that we can video chat and play music like that across the ocean in 3 countries, 2 continents. Just astonishing!

The second was Piazzolla, Milonga del Angel. I have that and the Liszt (and others) recorded on my YouTube channel.

The Rach was Devine, Moo! I think it's on my "Someday" list (yes, I actually do have a "Someday" list!)

Hope to do it again soon.


Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801352
01/12/19 05:59 PM
01/12/19 05:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,782
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content


Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,782
Originally Posted by cmb13
Yes, that was a ton of fun! So unbelievably amazing that we can video chat and play music like that across the ocean in 3 countries, 2 continents. Just astonishing!

The second was Piazzolla, Milonga del Angel. I have that and the Liszt (and others) recorded on my YouTube channel.

The Rach was Devine, Moo! I think it's on my "Someday" list (yes, I actually do have a "Someday" list!)

Hope to do it again soon.

The Piazzolla was very nice. I have no idea who he is so will have to look him up. The Rach I knew, but Moo : ) did it so well.

BTW, re: Consolation No. 3, a new PW member is asking about whether it is too hard for them to learn over in Pianist Corner and someone pointed out is is RCM 10! Wow. But regardless, you did a very impressive job with it. I'd think you'd want to keep this one in your fingers and not let it fade out of your repertoire smile


across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801360
01/12/19 06:15 PM
01/12/19 06:15 PM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 284
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
Full Member
CadenzaVvi  Offline
Full Member

Joined: May 2018
Posts: 284
Quebec city, QC
Right, it was this morning. Oups. Well, I was sleeping anyway. ^^"

Hope I could join on other occasions.


My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Beethoven, sonata op. 49, no. 1, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: CadenzaVvi] #2801363
01/12/19 06:22 PM
01/12/19 06:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,782
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content


Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,782
Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi
Right, it was this morning. Oups. Well, I was sleeping anyway. ^^"

Hope I could join on other occasions.

We thought about you though! Were your ears ringing? smile


across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801376
01/12/19 07:48 PM
01/12/19 07:48 PM
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 284
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
Full Member
CadenzaVvi  Offline
Full Member

Joined: May 2018
Posts: 284
Quebec city, QC
Maybe in my sleep. But I'm a heavy sleeper. I didn't notice. :P


My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Beethoven, sonata op. 49, no. 1, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801484
01/13/19 07:48 AM
01/13/19 07:48 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 158
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
Full Member
pathguy  Offline
Full Member
P

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 158
Liverpool, NY
Sounds like it was great fun: sorry I missed it!

Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801488
01/13/19 08:00 AM
01/13/19 08:00 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,805
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,805
Florida
Maybe we'll do it again in a couple of months, as winder winds down.

With regards to the format, we spoke for most of the time, played a little. We didn't prepare much ahead of time, so it was very informal. I liked that. There was no pressure to have a perfect performance, just to play a little for one another. Moo and I each played two pieces; the others weren't yet ready but will be very soon.

Zoom was excellent in terms of formatting and video quality; it even highlighted the person currently speaking on the main screen which was really cool (I used a MacBook). It also allows for all kinds of formats (computer, phone, iPad). It was also free, but limited to 40 min. It allowed us to extend that as a trial. We could, of course have ended and resumed another meeting if needed.

The limiting factor was sound quality. On my second piece, I used my external mic, which the others said made a big difference. I'm not sure if there is a similar format that allows better audio quality......would be interested in finding out. I do suspect the limitation may be bandwidth, or bit rate / compression, but can't be sure.


Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801517
01/13/19 10:40 AM
01/13/19 10:40 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,631
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,631
Orange County, California
Sorry I missed you yesterday. I hadn't been up long enough anyway. I did stop in to look for the meeting ID, but I guess I'm the unlucky one in that more often than not, the site hangs for me. I click on a post, go do something else, and then come back and hope the page is up.

As for setup, I'd like to use the camera I already have since it's already in place, but I'll need extra cable/software to use it as a webcam. Not sure what sort of compression Zoom applies to the feed. Does it vary between free and paid version?

Another option would be to meet in one of the practice rooms on Discord, no video though, just audio. However, the audio quality there is sometimes lacking.


♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: cmb13] #2801519
01/13/19 10:58 AM
01/13/19 10:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,782
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content


Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,782
Originally Posted by cmb13
The limiting factor was sound quality. On my second piece, I used my external mic, which the others said made a big difference. I'm not sure if there is a similar format that allows better audio quality......would be interested in finding out. I do suspect the limitation may be bandwidth, or bit rate / compression, but can't be sure.

I just found this feature of Zoom a minute ago. Perhaps we could try turning off the echo cancellation and post processing in Zoom. That might have a positive effect when playing music, since those features apply to speech anyways. This explains how all this works in Zoom.


across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2801532
01/13/19 11:33 AM
01/13/19 11:33 AM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 209
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Full Member
Sibylle  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 209
Ireland
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I just found this feature of Zoom a minute ago. Perhaps we could try turning off the echo cancellation and post processing in Zoom. That might have a positive effect when playing music, since those features apply to speech anyways. This explains how all this works in Zoom.

You're such a tech whiz! smile That could be it. Let's try it next time.


Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Online Piano Party [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2801672
01/13/19 06:44 PM
01/13/19 06:44 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,805
Florida
cmb13 Online content OP
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content OP
Silver Level

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,805
Florida
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Sorry I missed you yesterday. I hadn't been up long enough anyway. I did stop in to look for the meeting ID, but I guess I'm the unlucky one in that more often than not, the site hangs for me. I click on a post, go do something else, and then come back and hope the page is up.

As for setup, I'd like to use the camera I already have since it's already in place, but I'll need extra cable/software to use it as a webcam. Not sure what sort of compression Zoom applies to the feed. Does it vary between free and paid version?

Another option would be to meet in one of the practice rooms on Discord, no video though, just audio. However, the audio quality there is sometimes lacking.


Sorry we missed you - and I thought you’d have your ride in already by 8 am PST. I’ve also been having trouble w the site.


Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 72.1
Bach Goldberg Aria
Bach WTC Prelude D min
Piazzolla Invierno Porteno
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs yamaha conservatory grands
by kokatla. 01/17/19 09:10 PM
Name that piano! Prizes! Fame!
by Bruce In Philly. 01/17/19 07:26 PM
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,633
Posts2,782,961
Members92,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2