2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for explaining this. I think people were not clear on these points.
Originally Posted by lolatu
The latency you observe when playing the VST, as I'm sure you know, is not dependent on the drive latency at all. It reads from a RAM buffer, then streams the rest of the note from the drive if required. The only requirement of the drive is that it can keep up with the streaming requests.
You said: "I'm sure you know", but I think people often do not.

BTW, you didn't mention what IS the cause of piano latency, so I will: the Windows audio software chain. And that's where ASIO comes to the rescue.

More good stuff:
Bandwidth is a non-issue. With a 500 MB/s SATA SSD, you already have enough bandwidth for ~3000 simultaneous CD-quality audio streams. For SSDs there's not really a difference between sequential and random access, because there's no physical seeking going on.
I'll add some personal experience ...

In my first use of VST software I used a 2006 era Dell laptop, an early core Duo at 1.7 GHz with 2 GB RAM, an 80 GB disk, running Windows XP. That's a slow box by any measure ... yet I was able to play four pianos SIMULTANEOUSLY with no problems. The disks were not a problem at all. The only "fix" was to install a proper audio interface with its ASIO driver ... to take out the latency in the only place it existed: the Windows audio software chain.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac, according to PC World, the average retail price of 128GB SSDs, plummeted from $130 to $40 between 2012 and 2016. They say nothing about bigger SSDs, but I can imagine the trend must have been the same for them. Possibly the price drop wasn't as drastic for bigger SSDs, since the 128GB ones have always had the highest price per gigabyte, as far as I know.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3040591/storage/ssd-prices-plummet-again-close-in-on-hdds.html

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/27/17 01:06 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This is what I had planned to do:
Originally Posted by TheodorN
I believe I'll wait until SSDs go down in price ...
I waited a LONG time. Nearly two years. But SSD prices didn't budge! And by that time it no longer made sense to upgrade the old box, so I just bought a new computer.

I'm not saying to you "buy a new computer". I'm suggesting "don't wait for SSD prices to drop".

Absolutely. I bought a couple of 1TB Samsung 850 EVOs in January 2016, for about £210 each. Current price is over £295. SSDs in general have actually increased in price over the last 18 months, and show no sign of returning even to former levels, let alone going below them. There remains a worldwide shortage of NAND flash memory and increasing demand for SSDs which will keep prices high for the foreseeable future (by which I mean a year or more).

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Theodor,
My experience is more like karvala's. He's looking at the last 18 months. I was looking at that plus a bit more.
So any price drops in 2012, 2013, and much of 2014 were not in my line of sight.
And I don't know whether to expect major changes in the near future.
Originally Posted by TheodorN
MacMacMac, according to PC World, the average retail price of 128GB SSDs, plummeted from $130 to $40 between 2012 and 2016.

BTW, I was looking at high-end Samsung Pro models. Those were mostly stable over that period.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The graph on PC World shows 128GB SSD disks fell in price constantly until the beginning of 2016. The graph doesn't show the development after that point in time, which was actually about 18 months ago. So yes, prices may have gone up after that, I've never objected to that. In fact I said earlier in this thread myself, that the prices have gone up.

Nevertheless, as I've said in another thread, I could get a Corsair Force LE 240GB in late november 2016, for about $60, 549 SEK, and that was the lowest price I've ever seen. That was only about six months ago. The prices may have developed differently in the US, than in Sweden, or Europe, but here in Sweden, there were good offers only late last year.

I've never seen any offers on SSDs all this year, and I agree with you, that it's unlikely the prices will drop. Even if this NAND flash memory shortage will be over today, it'll take time for the prices to go down, if they ever will. I believe it'll the wise thing, for me at least, to make do with what I have, and start thinking about getting a new computer, if the old one starts breaking down. I might even be able to squeeze out $100 for a 240-256GB SSD later this year, or early next year.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/27/17 04:54 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
I guess I should have shopped at swedish.ssd.com smile

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
laugh

Me on YouTube

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission