2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2628938 04/01/17 12:10 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Does anyone have any experience getting recordings off a Yamaha Arius 162? It has a square USB port on the underneath - I'm guessing I would connect it to my laptop and use some kind of software program?

Thanks
Cathryn

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
That's one option.
Another is to connect it to the computer via an audio interface connected to one of the headphone sockets.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Do you mean recording the YDP-162 or downloading previously made recordings from from YDP-162?

Audio won't travel over the USB cable in that model but you may be able to download MIDI files via USB.

The "MIDI Basics" and "Computer-related Operations" guides go deeper into the USB features then the main User's Manual:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/result/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&search=YDP-162

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As cloth says, you cannot record from the USB port. It does not carry sound.

You can plug into the headphone jack (or the line-out jacks if those exist on your piano), and connect to any sort of audio recorder ... including your computer.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you're talking about recording your live playing to a computer, the easiest way is probably to connect the YDP162 through a headphone port, on to your computer's mic or Line In port, and record into Audacity.

You'll need a 1/4 inch (6.25 mm) to 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) stereo adapter, since your YDP162, has the bigger size port. Do you use inches or the metric system in Australia? I always forget.

Another possibility is to record through Pianoteq, but then you aren't using the sound of your own piano. The sound then comes from the modelled piano voices of Pianoteq. That is done through the USB cable. You need the full (paid) Pianoteq for a few black keys not to be silenced.

If you're talking about getting what you have already recorded to the internal memory of the YDP162, to your computer's hard disk, then what clothearednincompo said.

When I had my Yamaha P85, I never got the Musicsoft Downloader to work, think that's the software Yamaha offers to transfer recordings from the internal memory of Yamaha digitals to a computer, unless they've come up with something new.

Last edited by TheodorN; 04/01/17 07:29 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks all for your advice. I want to upgrade my Korg (which is basic but has a lovely action) to something with an onboard metronome and recording capability. Of all the digitals I played I really liked the action on this one (even better than the way more expensive Rolands - they seemed to have quite a heavy action). The YDP-162 does have the big headphone jacks (we're metric in Aus) but that's okay, I can get an adaptor. I think I'm going to buy this one and record via headphone jack - laptop - Audacity.
Thanks again,
Cathryn

Last edited by cathryn999; 04/02/17 12:42 AM.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
You will probably find you need some sort of hardware amplifier between the piano and the laptop to boost the headphone signal.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just an update for posterity in case others ask this question later....

I ended up buying a Yamaha Arius YDP163 (or YDP-163) - it connects straight from the USB to the laptop, and the recording quality is crystal clear.

A
A
Originally Posted by cathryn999
Just an update for posterity in case others ask this question later....

I ended up buying a Yamaha Arius YDP163 (or YDP-163) - it connects straight from the USB to the laptop, and the recording quality is crystal clear.

Hi cathryn999, congrats on your new piano! Can you clarify what software you use to record on your laptop? I believe the others were correct in stating that usb doesn't carry audio, so you are likely sending midi data to the laptop and then using a software there to generate piano sound, rather than recording your Yahama's native sound.

Adult beginner, playing since October 2016
Yamaha CLP-645 Soundcloud
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
She's using Pianoteq, according to another thread in the Adult Beginners Forum.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
In general USB can also carry Audio data if it works as an audio interface. On many of my roland synths this was true. Novation synths do that as well and I am pretty sure many modern synths too. I think pianos are sold to different user base that in large may not care about USB audio or may not even know how to use it or how to install ASIO etc... so it is both cost cutting and support time cutting measure.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission