2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I saw one of these used at guitar center today for $199. It has a couple hundred samples built in and was wondering if they are any good. I am not at familiar with it and was hoping for some insight....

Last edited by thercman; 01/31/13 11:29 PM.

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's a fairly legendary synth, and VAST is very capable, but DEEP, so plan accordingly for a steep learning curve if you get it. You can load more samples and add Orchestral & Contemporary ROMS if you install the Daughter Board [it may already have all this]. ROMs and parts are regularly available on eBay (but make sure that they are compatible with the rack version -- some parts are not interchangeable. All ROMs are, you just have to watch out for Daughter Boards and things like that).

The keyboard versions regularly sell for around $400, so I'd say this is a pretty good deal. It has a lot of sounds similar to that of the K-series -- great strings/orchestral and very editable sounds.

Current prices on eBay (just checked) are hovering between $240 and $500.

Last edited by LesCharles73; 02/01/13 02:05 AM.

Les C Deal

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the help guys. Below is a pic of the actual item. Notice it doesn't have the jacks on the right side. Is that the card you were referring to? Anyway, I did put it on layaway earlier I just have to wait for two weeks to get it. Something about having to wait on a resold item. I scrolled through the menu and there are many pianos already installed as well as many orchestra instruments etc.
[Linked Image]

T
OP Offline
T
I could alway swap out the screen and give it a nice blue back lit display. It would make it look cool. This guy did it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice looking unit there!

The display swap is surely a neat (and inexpensive) upgrade for the K2000. That electroluminescent screen has always been the Achilles Heel of the K2000 because the original screen dims with age and just looks bad. The fluorescent white-on-blue screens (like on the K-series) look much better, and have much better contrast and intensity. Keep in mind that there is some soldering involved, but there are lengthy tutorials online.

I believe the jacks to the right are for sampling (live mode). You can add this later, or just do without and use a computer for that (which would probably be easier anyway).

All the best!!

Last edited by LesCharles73; 02/01/13 01:09 PM.

Les C Deal

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've got one of these (K2000R) in my cupboard. Used it for many years. It's a VERY capable rack instrument. If you are into analog-kind synth sounds you can do wonders. Provided you spend the time learning the extremely flexible architecture. (In a way I consider the first Nord virtual analog synth as an instrument of the same kind, but with the tremendous difference of having an analog user interface, rather than the button/wheel interface of the K2000.) It has a sequencer, is programmable in almost all ways, and has a quite well sounding D/A interface. I still have warm feelings about it.

That is an awesome deal and a great synth. For the price I don't think you will be disappointed.

T
OP Offline
T
Although I do have a big gaping hole in my rack that needs filled, smile do you guys believe this synth is still relevant? Even though it may be a good deal, if the sounds are antiquated then it may end up like yours, in a cupboard. So $200 wasted....

Last edited by thercman; 02/06/13 03:34 AM.

Yes it is still relevant and an amazing synth and learning tool. It has some limitations but if you've never owned a K-series $200 is a great way to get your feet wet. Find some old RAM and stick 64MB in it and you'll be amazed what samples and sounds you can find on the web for free.

T
OP Offline
T
So I finally brought this home and plugged it in really quick. I tried to connect the midi to my NP2 and couldn't get it to work. I didn't have time to play with it since I have an exam tomorrow but I did download the 500 page book, I mean manual for it... Downside is that it doesn't fit into my rack. :-( I'll need to do some cutting. I have 30 days and if I don't like it I can return it.... We'll see...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Did you check whether the Midi channels match? Depending on the setup in which the K2000R was last used, it might be set to receiving data only on a specific channel, different from the one the NP2 uses to send data.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
T
OP Offline
T
Ill check thanks!

Does the MIDI LED on the front panel flash? Make sure you have the MIDI cables connected properly. After that press the MIDI button under the display. You'll find an ON/OFF switch for each MIDI channel. Scroll through all 16 channels by using the UP/DOWN (Chan/Bank) button to the left of the display.

T
OP Offline
T
So instead of playing with the nord I just plugged it into the arturia and it worked right away... I have been playing with it for a couple hours and I think this is going back. I know it is a really an in depth synth etc, however with my other two synths I have enough sounds and the ones in this just aren't inspiring to me... It was worth a try anyway.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
These K-series synths definitely aren't designed to be romplers. It's more about what you can create (synthesize). Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.

Les C Deal

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by LesCharles73
These K-series synths definitely aren't designed to be romplers. It's more about what you can create (synthesize). Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you.

+1

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission