Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
101 registered members (ando, Almaviva, Amedeus, Allegro maestoso, 25 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2672391 - 09/02/17 06:56 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]  
karvala Offline
karvala  Offline

You're still not really getting it, David. This isn't about making little textual changes so that if someone hunts around for long enough and carefully reads all of the text on the page they might eventually be able to figure out that he sells pianos. The whole concept is misleading; moving the banner would make it maybe 5% less misleading.

For example, why does it need to be in the disclaimer? Why not include sales in the name of the site instead of just reviews and news? Why not eliminate all of the references to independent expertise and not connection to any store, and say this is his site where he sells pianos and includes reviews on the pianos that he can obtain for you at a good price? Why not have a button with his phone number and "call us for our best price on this model" alongside the review? Basically, why not actually make it an up-front sales site? The only reason can be to mislead people.

I googled "piano shop" and the first link that came up was piano warehouse (disclaimer: I have no connection with this site!): http://www.piano-warehouse.co.uk/. Now take a look at that. Within seconds, anyone visiting that will understand that this a shop that SELLS pianos. I didn't have look for a disclaimer, or decode an e-mail address, or notice some mention of shipping/tax and guess that somehow some selling must take place. I can see "Shop Pianos" at the top, I can see prices, I can see "our store" etc.. This is what an honest retailer does - they make it clear that they're selling, they don't try to hide it and mislead people into thinking that it's something else. I don't believe you can't see the difference.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1 acoustics; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Standard (D4, K2, Bl├╝thner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II American D, TrueKeys Italian Grand, AS C7, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650 headphones, O2 amplifier :-)
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2672394 - 09/02/17 07:05 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: karvala]  
David B Offline
David B  Offline

The Sierras
Originally Posted by karvala
You're still not really getting it, David.

I get it.

Tim Parskins is not someone you would buy a piano from.

I have and would again in the future.

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
VILabs: True Keys and Ravenscroft 275
Macbook Air/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-18 Completed
#2672430 - 09/03/17 01:01 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: David B]  
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by karvala
You're still not really getting it, David.

I get it.

Tim Parskins is not someone you would buy a piano from.

I have and would again in the future.

God Bless,
David

Er...no, you're clearly not getting it at all. Or perhaps you are being deliberately obtuse? For your sake I hope it's deliberate anyway.

There are others on this thread who have bought from him - and may do so again - but they still identify the somewhat distasteful business practice in evidence.

A casual glance shows his site to be a review site, not a sales site. That's the problem because as soon as sales are involved one has to question the impartiality of his reviews. You have not addressed my point about his 'review' of the Samick factory direct sell-off. He really glows about them (because he can makes lots of money from them) and yet they will be vastly inferior to other products he doesn't recommend. That is bias driven by his own commercial objectives. It's not a review site, it is a sales site. So why does he deliberately obfuscate that fact?

Over the years there have been a number of posters here who quote his 'reviews' as some kind of high authority. It is often very clear the persons quoting him have not grasped that he is a piano salesman. They didn't realise because he disguises that fact. Why doesn't he rename his site 'Tim Praskins Piano Sales'? Under each product listing he could have a section entitled 'What I think about the xxxxx'. Shoppers could then consider his review within the context of his role as a sales person.

Now do you get it?

#2672435 - 09/03/17 02:13 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: David B]  
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

That disclaimer is not hard to find since it's embedded on every page at the bottom.

One thing almost every bottom-of-the-page disclaimer has in common... most people don't read them. ;-)

I think the point is that he needs a "disclaimer" at all. If he weren't being coy on the main part of the site about being a dealer, he wouldn't need a disclaimer at the bottom telling you that he is. It would be obvious. As I see it, the disclaimer you use as evidence that it's obvious he's a dealer is actually evidence of the reverse.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2672437 - 09/03/17 03:36 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: EssBrace]  
David B Offline
David B  Offline

The Sierras
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Now do you get it?

Yes. I get it.

I choose to believe what is readily available on his website. His disclaimer is clear and easily accessible on every page of his website. He seems forthright and honest about his business practice.

You disagree with that. Carry on.

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
#2672444 - 09/03/17 05:31 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: David B]  
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Suffolk, United Kingdom
His disclaimer is clear and easily accessible on every page of his website. He seems forthright and honest about his business practice.

Straightforward businesses don't need disclaimers. Consequently your second sentence is, inevitably, false.

#2672499 - 09/03/17 10:23 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: EssBrace]  
David B Offline
David B  Offline

The Sierras
Originally Posted by EssBrace
His disclaimer is clear and easily accessible on every page of his website. He seems forthright and honest about his business practice.

Straightforward businesses don't need disclaimers. Consequently your second sentence is, inevitably, false.

It's very common for straightforward, online businesses to have disclaimers. They are usually buried in the "terms of use."

That is inevitable.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 09/03/17 10:27 AM.

Kawai MP-11SE
#2672506 - 09/03/17 10:45 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: David B]  
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

It's very common for straightforward, online businesses to have disclaimers. They are usually buried in the "terms of use."

There are disclaimers and there are disclaimers. Here's Sweetwater's: https://www.sweetwater.com/about/terms-of-use.php

It basically says, we try to provide the best information that we can, but you can't sue us if it's wrong or if something doesn't work. That's a legal CYA. It's not disclaiming the basic function/purpose of the site.

Even the word "disclaimer" implies, "this might not be what you expect." Why would his "disclaimer" have to let you know that he sells pianos, if it were obvious from the site that he sells pianos? That's the kind of thing where, if you don't mislead, you don't need to disclaim.

But as I said, I've bought from him, and it was a good experience. Marketing is marketing, I've seen much worse, and he does have some good info there, As always, it pays to be an observant consumer, but I feel better about putting money in his pocket than I do about, for example, some of the phone and cable companies. Talk about deceptive business practices... But yeah, I still pay my phone and internet bills. ;-)

Last edited by anotherscott; 09/03/17 10:52 AM.
#2672550 - 09/03/17 02:24 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: anotherscott]  
PianoVibe Offline
PianoVibe  Offline

Originally Posted by anotherscott
Marketing is marketing, I've seen much worse, and he does have some good info there, As always, it pays to be an observant consumer, but I feel better about putting money in his pocket than I do about, for example, some of the phone and cable companies

+1

#2672755 - 09/04/17 11:44 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]  
HDer Offline
HDer  Offline

For those who dislike Tim Praskins, please do me a favor and name me one other site that reviews such a large number of digital pianos of different makes and is kept relatively up to date. When I was looking for a digital piano, I would have been totally lost without Tim's site.

#2672785 - 09/04/17 02:20 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: David Farley]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States
Originally Posted by David Farley
I finally figured it out. The whole look and feel of the AZ Piano Reviews site reminds me of the old DAK catalogs. Not sure if DAK ever sold a piano, but for those who remember the 80s, enjoy:

https://archive.org/details/1984-Fall-DAK-Catalog

HaHa I used to love that catalog - not to order from, but to laugh at! laugh

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Les Petits Images, Late Elementary Level (Jennifer Linn) | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 1 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
#2672786 - 09/04/17 02:43 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: HDer]  
clothearednincompo Offline
clothearednincompo  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted by HDer
For those who dislike Tim Praskins, please do me a favor and name me one other site that reviews such a large number of digital pianos of different makes and is kept relatively up to date.

http://e-piano-tests.de/

No, not seriously.

That's actually a site that only "reviews" pianos that happen to be sold by Musikhaus Kirstein. And all the reviewed pianos happen to be just fine and decent and worth buying. And Kirstein just happens to have an ad on the site.

I don't think the connection is made really clear anywhere. (Not that I have really looked carefully and not that I really understand German well. )

Makes Tim Praskins look like a saint. wink

#2672842 - 09/04/17 08:03 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]  
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
I think everybody has had their say on this now.

#2672847 - 09/04/17 08:22 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]  
tnsettlemo Offline
tnsettlemo  Offline

You all are just jealous that Praskins does reviews that are better and more in-depth than anything this sight has to offer. This forum was kind of fun at first but has become sort of a joke.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need Advice--Used Schulze Pollman or New
by AC1. 11/20/17 08:26 AM
Minimum Tuning Pin Torque
by Weiyan. 11/19/17 11:47 PM
What are the best pins?
by cordoba. 11/19/17 06:50 PM
Can't load MP3 files on Kawai ES8
by David Macob. 11/19/17 03:34 PM
Digital Piano Recommendations
by One Fish Two Fish. 11/19/17 01:58 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,848
Posts2,673,059
Members89,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission