2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
ginn Offline OP
OP Offline
G
After a break of two years, I started playing piano. I could not sight read the music notations of treble and bass clef while I try to play the piano. Can any one suggest the simplest method to recover from this problem. I have passed up to grade 5 from Trinity guildhall exams. I can't understand where the problem is? Pl. help.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Almost certainly you are trying to read much too hard material. Start on really really basic material. I like this as a start:

Hannah Smith Progressive Sight Reading

Yes, it is really basic but that's the point. You can't decode music a note at a time, you have to learn to read it and you start with the world's simplest pieces.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I suspect your teacher never taught you reading skills and you muddled through somehow. Something similar happened to me on another instrument. The question of skills never came up until one day I realized I was missing a bunch of them.

D
D
I'd try any of the method books ( I personally prefer the Alfred) and start at the very basic level and slowly, gradually and thoroughly browse through it and re-build your sight reading abilities. good luck !

Dror Perl. Pianist, Composer, Teacher.

http://www.sheerpiano.com/

Sheer Piano: The First Full Color Piano Music Books

I agree with Andy Platt and Dror Perl about starting with very basic material.

You want to start with music easy enough that the first time you play it through, you don't have to stop and you still do a pretty good job. (Don't worry about getting it perfect - just focus on not stopping while still getting across the essence of the piece.)

Last edited by Evan R. Murphy; 10/08/12 11:28 PM.

SightReadingMastery – Master Sight Reading with Real Music
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
I suspect your teacher never taught you reading skills and you muddled through somehow. Something similar happened to me on another instrument. The question of skills never came up until one day I realized I was missing a bunch of them.

keystring, is there a different kind of teaching that could have gotten af your lacking skills, and taught them explicitly? Do you think you would have been open to this teaching *before* you hit a wall with your own muddle-through techniques?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Originally Posted by keystring

.... Do you think you would have been open to this teaching *before* you hit a wall with your own muddle-through techniques?

An interesting set of questions, and you made me think. smile I should clarify that this involved a different instrument. The major hurdle was technical, but since you played a single line of notes reading was less a challenge than for piano. For your 2nd question, I think so, because I came as a mature student who had played a number of instruments self-taught for decades. The idea of managing to play pieces was not exciting since I had done that; learning how to play and being taught by a real teacher was exciting. So when I was shown how to do something, I was interested, while my teacher's experience was that students find it tedious and "spared" me.

keystring, is there a different kind of teaching that could have gotten af your lacking skills, and taught them explicitly?

I know there was a more explicit way, since later I got exposed to that. I think it may also have to do with the proportion of time spent, and maybe what the teacher stresses that you should aim for, and maybe the pieces and exercises he chooses.

Addendum: I didn't really answer anything about reading music. (Came from a long trip yesterday). That was actually after returning to piano, which I had played self-taught as a child. By this time I no longer had a teacher, and I decided to learn sight reading and spent 10 - 15 minutes a day specifically on reading music. The rest of the time I tried to also work that way, making sure I was reading.

Last edited by keystring; 10/09/12 01:10 PM. Reason: addendum
A
A
I've found that sight-reading is really a self-motivated thing because you get better at sight-reading by doing sight-reading which is mostly done separate from the teacher. There is a "Guided Sight-Reading" book by Leonard Deutsch that talks about a method where the student is only taught via sight-reading for the first few years with the teacher and student both playing the same piece at the same time, with the student trying to hang on with the teacher and therefore learning sight-reading, dynamics, fingering etc all by imitation. I wish that is how I'd learned - but I intend to try this with my 4 year old son when he shows some interest in the piano beyond want to make noise with it!

But basically you have to find your "sight-reading level", which is the level where you can read comfortably and practice and try harder pieces ad infinitum wink

I am doing the "Sight-reading and Rhythm Every Day" books these days and they might be worth trying.

Last edited by atinm; 10/09/12 06:29 AM. Reason: book reference
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by atinm
I intend to try this with my 4 year old son when he shows some interest in the piano beyond want to make noise with it!

There are scores that are perfect for 4 year-olds who want to make noise! Have a look at the Jatekok collection, György Kurtàg. Splendid material.

A
A
Originally Posted by landorrano
Originally Posted by atinm
I intend to try this with my 4 year old son when he shows some interest in the piano beyond want to make noise with it!

There are scores that are perfect for 4 year-olds who want to make noise! Have a look at the Jatekok collection, György Kurtàg. Splendid material.

Thanks!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission