Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Piano Tuning
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (anotherscott, alfredo capurso, andrea monza, Bambers, accordeur, 32 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 312 of 312 1 2 310 311 312
#2676870 - 09/21/17 08:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Lotus in Blue Offline
Lotus in Blue  Offline

Rhode Island
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I started working on two very pretty pieces - To a Wild Rose, which is so soothing, and "The Town I loved so Well" - which is a more modern piece and one that I had a friend play over and over and over as I searched for my piano. (at that time I couldn't play very much!) -- so it has a special place in my heart.

Is that the Irish song "The Town I Loved So Well" by Phil Coulter? I have never tried it on piano but I sing it a cappella. It is such a beautiful, deeply moving song. Another Irish song that I love is "The Green Fields of France." It's so hard to get through either of them without crying!

Congratulations on your achievements! smile

Last edited by Lotus in Blue; 09/21/17 08:25 PM.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2676906 - 09/22/17 12:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
carolinakeys Online content
carolinakeys  Online Content

Union SC
Well, I took a tumble on my patio the other day and it cost me 2 days practice due to being sore. It felt kinda like I was in a gang fight but my gang didn't show. Seriously, it hurt but I got my bearings back today and got caught up on my plans and should finish the week hopefully a little ahead. I've seen a little improvement in my hand/finger independence as well. No matter how much it's worth excitement.

#2676957 - 09/22/17 09:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: keystring]  
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
I think a new thread called "WIPWAL" for Works in Progress Warts and All" would be great!

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

#2676971 - 09/22/17 11:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Joe302 Offline
Joe302  Offline

Middle Atlantic
I bought an acoustic piano!
Very first one.
Traded in my keyboard...

Proud owner of a Kawai KU-5D 54 inch professional upright.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2677025 - 09/22/17 03:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Joe302]  
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Joe302
Very first one.
Traded in my keyboard...

Awesome. I just got upgrade studio monitors to play Pianoteq!
And Learned Candle in the Wind instrumental.

#2677180 - 09/23/17 09:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]  
Lotus in Blue Offline
Lotus in Blue  Offline

Rhode Island
Originally Posted by malkin
I think a new thread called "WIPWAL" for Works in Progress Warts and All" would be great!

I highly approve of this idea! smile

carolinakeys, hope you continue to mend and congratulations on your achievement this week!

Joe302, your first piano! That's exciting. Hope you're enjoying it.

My achievement of the week is returning to the piano. I'm working through Keith Snell's Essential Keyboard Repertoire Book 2. I got the first 3 pieces into decent shape (I have worked on these before).

1. Rigaudon - Telemann
2. Aria in F - Anna Magdalena Notebook
3. Minuet in G - Anna Magdalena Notebook

I'll either start the fourth piece today (Bach's Minuet in G Minor) or pick something dreamy and Impressionistic to play, which I'm in the mood for. Or maybe both!

I'm keeping my eyes on the staff much more than I have in the past, only glancing at my hands occasionally. I'm really working on making it a habit to watch the music rather than my hands, as I used to do.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
#2677226 - 09/23/17 12:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]  
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Exalted Wombat  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

London UK
But, as we all know how to practice effeciently, it would just contain recordings of pieces being played absolutely perfectly but very slowly. Laudable, but not terribly interesting!

#2677350 - 09/24/17 04:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lotus in Blue]  
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Italy
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
But, as we all know how to practice effeciently, it would just contain recordings of pieces being played absolutely perfectly but very slowly. Laudable, but not terribly interesting!

I would have to agree. However, as the subject has come up there are clearly those who ARE interested. Rather than fill up this thread with those recordings, I think the idea of starting up a new thread is a very good idea.

Originally Posted by Joe302
Very first one.
Traded in my keyboard...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is such an exciting moment! Enjoy your new acoustic!!!!

Originally Posted by carolinakeys
Well, I took a tumble on my patio the other day and it cost me 2 days practice due to being sore. It felt kinda like I was in a gang fight but my gang didn't show. Seriously, it hurt but I got my bearings back today and got caught up on my plans and should finish the week hopefully a little ahead. I've seen a little improvement in my hand/finger independence as well. No matter how much it's worth excitement.

Sorry to hear about the tumble - but congrats on the hand/finger independence. I agree wholeheartedly that it's all about baby steps and little improvements we make along the way.

Originally Posted by Lotus in Blue
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I started working on two very pretty pieces - To a Wild Rose, which is so soothing, and "The Town I loved so Well" - which is a more modern piece and one that I had a friend play over and over and over as I searched for my piano. (at that time I couldn't play very much!) -- so it has a special place in my heart.

Is that the Irish song "The Town I Loved So Well" by Phil Coulter? I have never tried it on piano but I sing it a cappella. It is such a beautiful, deeply moving song. Another Irish song that I love is "The Green Fields of France." It's so hard to get through either of them without crying!

Congratulations on your achievements! smile

Thanks Lotus in Blue - and yes, I'm talking about the Phil Coulter song. The left hand is the tricky part , with a lot of movement, until you get to the part "Going home in the rain, running up the dark lane
Past the jail, and down behind the Fountain" because it is in octaves.

Last night I just wanted to have some fun at the piano rather than study (ok, study can be fun too, but you know what I mean). I pulled out some level 2b books that a friend had given me ages ago that his kids had used - I'd never actually played anything from them. I had a blast playing things like "The Flinstones", "Star Wars" "She Loves you ya ya ya", "Lean on Me". The notation was pretty simple and I was able to do a prima vista pretty much at tempo - what a blast!

[Linked Image]
#2677380 - 09/24/17 11:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl, i love the Ed McDowell piece. It's a very famous and beautiful piece - must keep list.

Joe, congrats for the new piano. I can relate.

I have practiced almost every day this week! Yay! It's really hard to practice 4 pieces at the same time with scales etc. i need decipline. Bach is shaping up.i work on Scriabin to play it faster today. Beethoven i have one problem and another. Just following my teachers advice to practice sections. Chopin Ballade is another story. Since its the biggest piece i studied, i am struggling with the sheer size of it. As i work on some sections, i seem to lose what i got in the earlier sections. This one i must practice everyday. My normal strategy of doing all during the weekend does not seem to work. This one may take a long time.

Does anyone know which zoom recorder i should buy. My old one just came apart. They dont make q4 or q3 anymore.

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Beethoven sonata g major 14 No. 2 (re do)
3) Chopin a flat major Ballade (schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2)
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) Bartok. 4 old tunes and Scherzo)
#2677986 - 09/27/17 02:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

On a business trip.

Hotel bar both has a piano and lets guests play it.

Coworkers were hanging out in bar. I played some last night in the indirect presence of a few.

Played tonight in the more direct presence of a few. Couple coworkers came in later and found out they'd missed playing. They were turning in and I offered to play a piece especially for them. I did so.

The world did not come crashing down !

Nasty negative inner voice generally quiescent; tolerance for imperfections ++; ability to reroute/adapt to imperfections ++.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
#2678088 - 09/27/17 01:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Canada
I've basically abandoned the impulse that led to the WIPWAL idea, which was born out of a moment of enthusiasm and is way too broad for this thread. But the idea of little recordings to illustrate what you're talking about hasn't left. I'm thinking that sometimes when a member talks of an achievement, that might be useful if they felt like it. I actually expected to see that in this thread, but didn't.

In case this is a good idea, I'm setting this off once, to see if it works.

The stretch piece I'm working on is the Debussy Prelude "Perfume" (longer name). One challenge I ran into was this small passage:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/51kly4c0l157335/zWIP.jpg?dl=0
In the red "1", the LH could be chromatically descending dim7's if the missing note were filled in (but isn't always), and the LH dances up and down in 3rds & 4ths. The LH itself was hard for me, and the combination much harder. I tried various approaches - doing the sequence playing the RH only in octaves and then adding the middle note; It kept hitting a glass ceiling. Doing them as pairs (high-low) helped a lot. Then I learned a new approach: Play the chord, picture it, leave the piano, do something else, then come back, play the chord again. In three days it was there for me. I was spending a total of maybe 5 minutes each day on this. so zero time, which was cool. Part of "2" wasn't coming together, and I tried the same "trick" and the same thing happened.

This is the result -- parts 1 & 2 recorded separately but brought together by the magic of technology - that's the "achievement", being able to play that sequence at that tempo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wedmcdyubhtm48z/zOther.mp3?dl=0

I could have written "I can now play that sequence of chords evenly without getting lost". What do you think of the idea of actually illustrating it, just like we sometimes do with notation?

#2678704 - 09/29/17 10:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Lotus in Blue Offline
Lotus in Blue  Offline

Rhode Island
keystring, one of my former piano teachers used to do what you did in miniature during a lesson. He would have me slowly work on a tricky passage, then gradually speed it up. Then he would make me look away from the piano and he'd distract me with some anecdote and then have me re-play it a couple of minutes later.

On a longer time scale, I think it really does help to let things marinate. Your description was clear and easy to understand what you were doing / working on.

My achievement this week was playing with a metronome. I thought I would hate it (memories of teachers setting it up and me getting anxious.) But it wasn't terrible at all. I was working on the famous Bach Minuet in G 114 and using the metronome helped me keep the tempo even, as well as blatantly identifying places where I was hesitating.

I had a good week. I played every day and am really enjoying my piano time, even without a teacher.

I also signed up for the Waltz recital and am thinking about what I should learn / play for November.

Last edited by Lotus in Blue; 09/29/17 10:42 PM.

#2678863 - 09/30/17 06:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Medved1 Offline
Medved1  Offline

New York
My 83 year old father took his first piano lesson yesterday. I'm trying not to hope too much, just in case he doesn't stick with it, but it's a pretty big step for him.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
#2678882 - 09/30/17 07:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Medved1]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Medved1
My 83 year old father took his first piano lesson yesterday. I'm trying not to hope too much, just in case he doesn't stick with it, but it's a pretty big step for him.

Wow! That is so cool! More power to him!

[Linked Image]
#2679021 - 10/01/17 12:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
SwissMS Online content
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
Medved 1- That is so fantastic that your father is taking lessons! My Mom plays a little, at 87, and I think piano helps keep the brain young!

My AOTW- I just took part in an advanced intermediate to advanced performance workshop through my piano teacher. There were six of us, plus the head teacher and my teacher. We played a piece, and then the others critiqued it. I was among the least experienced players, but I did OK. I played a Chinese impressionistic piece, and the Granados piece I will record for the Spanish/Latin Recital. I had a memory lapse in the middle of the the Chinese piece, but I manage to carry on. The Granados piece was a bit rough. The feedback was generally favorable, and pretty much spot on. This was worse than performing in a recital, because you know the listeners are experienced pianists. It was difficult, but overall, it was a positive experience. I will definitely do it again. Hopefully there will be another before my ABRSM grade 8!

#2679164 - 10/02/17 03:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
My AOTW: I added a 5th piece to my collection of continuously rotating pieces.

The goal is to play them through 3-4 times every day.
Although I'm not totally strict on this. Once in a while it's nice to only work on a new one, like now.
Other days I might take one of the older pieces and disseminate it into molecules almost, working on the minutest details, playing sections at much higher tempo, and re-memorizing all the time.
My goal is to be able to do that from beginning to end on each piece (High tempo, fluent from memory, theoretical structure, what challenges are presented and why, and being able to completely visualize each piece in my minds eye before playing it).
There are lots of ways to create variety, even in a small collection of pieces like these.
Moving into the world of molecules creates a new universe.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
#2679180 - 10/02/17 07:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
barbaram Offline
500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

500 Post Club Member

My teacher for the last two years isn't teaching this year, so I've had to start with a new teacher. Jazz piano has been on my "someday" list for a while, so this seemed like a good time to give it a go.

I'm two lessons in, and it's like I'm learning a totally different language! The lessons themselves can feel a bit overwhelming - my brain can't process the information quickly enough. But as I work through the exercises during the week things do fall into place little by little.

So my AOTW is that I have taken my first baby steps and picked up a few phrases in this new language smile

#2679322 - 10/02/17 05:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
I rarely post here.

The past couple of weeks I have been finding time to do some practice. It is making a significant difference to my playing.

Having done all the urgent work on the house, I can now relax and enjoy myself.

Retirement is to be recommended. It just happens too late.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
#2679448 - 10/03/17 10:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PhilipInChina]  
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina

Retirement is to be recommended. It just happens too late.

Yes indeed. That enabled me to get up at 2am again to study a piece on the piano. Then go to bed again and sleep 'till 8am.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
#2680214 - 10/06/17 10:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Medved1 Offline
Medved1  Offline

New York
Dealing with a sore wrist and managing not to think the world has ended. I am imagining all of you saying "take it easy, there's plenty of time to let it heal for real", and feeling better already. In the meantime, I am working on some bits and pieces that don't hurt the wrist and do need a ton of slow steady patient work, so I may be in the position of having to thank the injury for forcing me to practice the way I was always supposed to.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
#2680216 - 10/06/17 11:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Whizbang]  
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level

Boca Raton, FL
Originally Posted by Whizbang
On a business trip.

Hotel bar both has a piano and lets guests play it.

Coworkers were hanging out in bar. I played some last night in the indirect presence of a few.

Played tonight in the more direct presence of a few. Couple coworkers came in later and found out they'd missed playing. They were turning in and I offered to play a piece especially for them. I did so.

The world did not come crashing down !

Nasty negative inner voice generally quiescent; tolerance for imperfections ++; ability to reroute/adapt to imperfections ++.

That's awesome - that's an achievement! I hadn't some friends over last weekend and fiddled around a little. It's a little weird because I didn't play a piece from beginning to end - just snippets. My friends will not recognize what I'm playing.

Boston 118 PE
YouTube Channel
Currently Working On
Arpeggios in Maj, Min, Dim
Debussy Prelude VIIII (La fille aux cheveux de lin)
All The Thing You Are
#2680441 - 10/08/17 12:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13]  
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by cmb13

I hadn't some friends over last weekend and fiddled around a little. It's a little weird because I didn't play a piece from beginning to end - just snippets. My friends will not recognize what I'm playing.

That's the best. Nothing more stressful when you are playing not just a piece in front of people but a piece that they also -know-!

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Page 312 of 312 1 2 310 311 312

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much should I sell my Kawai CA67 for?
by AndyE. 10/21/17 11:09 AM
What is cocktail music?
by pianoloverus. 10/21/17 08:44 AM
Yamaha DGX 660 vs Casio PX 560
by VMK. 10/21/17 06:54 AM
Can I Run Roland RD700nx Through Stereo Speakers?
by ClsscLib. 10/20/17 09:19 PM
Improve your sight reading series
by Scottswald. 10/20/17 06:34 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,409
Posts2,666,200
Members89,015
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission