Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
69 registered members (Aaron W, agraffe, anotherscott, asb37, 21 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 323 of 323 1 2 321 322 323
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745080
06/17/18 11:13 AM
06/17/18 11:13 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
Palmpirate  Offline
P
B.C.Canada
Wow Cheryl. I bet you are glad that ‘recital’ is over! You work so hard in you Anxiety Party experiences so this must have been doubly devastating. I can only imagine since the only recital I’ve done is the on-line Debussy one 😐 and that was nerve racking enough since I’ve Never recorded anything either. I do play for one friend who is a concert pianist and she is sooo encouraging. I’m even thinking of asking her if we can sort of try a performance anxiety group here. I’d Provide the wine!
Glad to know your eye surgery was successful. I need my ‘piano glasses’ to read the score these days. (surgery isn’t an option). Wouldn’t it be nice if that clarity transposed down to fingers!
Being a complete ignoramus about different piano related performance ‘ladders’ what is EPP? It sounds quite important !

[Linked Image]
2018 ambitiously working on - Debussy, Les Collines d'Annacapri and other stuff just for fun!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745082
06/17/18 11:22 AM
06/17/18 11:22 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Thanks Wisebuff, Giacomo, FarmGirl and Palmpirate.

It was certainly a learning experience...
I honestly don’t know if I want to try more recitals. I will think about it but what I want more is the “gather round the piano and sing together “ or piano party experience.

Palmpirate: The EPP is very important- and you’re participating too!
It’s the European Piano Party! I am so looking forward to meeting you in person!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745085
06/17/18 11:45 AM
06/17/18 11:45 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
Palmpirate  Offline
P
B.C.Canada
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Palmpirate: The EPP is very important- and you’re participating too!
It’s the European Piano Party! I am so looking forward to meeting you in person!

No dah! (as my kids might exclaim) Yes, I will be at EPP! really looking fwd to meeting up. I’m sure it’s going to be terrific - read that as terrifying! But with a very selective and sympathetic audience.

I’m following that weekend with a trip to Vienna and have lots of concerts booked up most evenings - Carmen and Mozart’s Requiem to mention two. Traveling solo until meet up in Milan on Sept 20th. Anyone live there or got any ‘must do’ suggestions? Got most tourist sights covered but want to explore the Vienna Woods where Beethoven spent some summers! Know any good ‘music’ guides? maybe I should check the EPP thread!

And yes, my AOTW was to post my Debussy recital. Now for a change of direction.....

[Linked Image]
2018 ambitiously working on - Debussy, Les Collines d'Annacapri and other stuff just for fun!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745097
06/17/18 12:26 PM
06/17/18 12:26 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
I live near Milan.
I will be starting work again after the EPP but I won’t be at my full work load.
Send me a PM or email with more details and let’s see what we can organize!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745315
06/18/18 12:00 PM
06/18/18 12:00 PM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
J
Santa Fe, NM
Cheryl - been there, done that. Be assured that it wasn't the conditions that were upsetting - you could play in those conditions had you *expected* them! It was the being blindsided by them that was so distracting - and particularly since those conditions seem to imply - and, in this case, were - so disrespectful. The hard part at that point is that it's so easy to take the disrespect personally. Never mind that it wasn't about you at all - when you're under some stress anyway because it's a new experience around mostly people you don't know it's doubly hard to suddenly deal with it in addition to the normal playing in public nerves.

At least that's my take on it, having been thru exactly that kind of neglect and indifference more than once at assisted living/memory care units. And it's still hard to not suddenly feel deflated and depressed. That you played in spite of it - that's a huge accomplishment in self-confidence. Yes, self-confidence and good prep - in pulling yourself together and playing anyway. What a job that was! Excellent.

You know, we're not pros, and we're not nearly as experienced as they are in dealing with stuff like this. I don't know how my brother gets thru nights when he's sick and can barely sing, or nights when for some reason a crowd doesn't turn out, or the drunks that sometimes get so out of hand the bouncers have to keep them from knocking equipment over or starting fights. But he's a pro. He has 40 years of experiences to fall back on.

So I think you were hugely accomplished. Good for you. You can even feel relief at the EPP!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Practice what you suck at - anonymous
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2745606
06/19/18 11:40 AM
06/19/18 11:40 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Hi Cathy - thanks for highlighting that aspect of being blindsided. I agree with you ---- in public speaking it's "easier" to deal with the unexpected because you can pause, you can modify , you can change your approach -- and I have experience with that, it doesn't throw me off in the least. Plus, playing at the café is REALLY noisy - and I can deal with that -so yup, the unexpected was very much the problem. And I just don't have enough piano experience to cope with the unexpected (dare I say "yet"? smile )

I just had my last lesson of the year, and I am still struggling with the 3 over 2 in the Nocturne - I told my teacher, (as we have been working on this for weeks) -- "Today, for the first time, I really feel frustrated". I just feel like I'm never going to get there. He was very supportive and we worked and worked on it again.... I hope it sticks.

For the first time ever, he said if I had trouble over the summer to let him know...... I thought that was really nice - I don't feel "abandoned" to struggle over the next three months by myself.

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2746283
Yesterday at 08:10 AM
Yesterday at 08:10 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
south florida
Cathy - Hi! Nice to see you over here. What are you working on these days?

Cheryl - Keep plugging away at those 3 vs. 2's. Many times I've struggled with them for months and then suddenly they are internalized and seem easy. Also, it seems the more times you encounter them in pieces the quicker/easier it gets navigate them.

It's been a long time since I have reported any AOTW. Yesterday, as I was wrapping up my practice session, a delivery person for Instacart came to the door, where she was greeted by my wife. While they were yakking and unloading groceries 30 feet away, for some reason I just started to play... no music on the desk. Before I knew what happened I had played through Clair de Lune in its entirety without stopping. Now, I've been working on CDL all year, so maybe not such a big deal..... but for me it was. First because I have reduced practice time a lot and truly wondered if I'd ever finish another piece (not that CDL is performance ready, but you know what I mean). Second, frustration trying to self teach CDL was what drove me to get a teacher nearly 10 years ago. Starting in on it this past January was the first time I'd touched it in all that time.

I still have a ton of work to do on it, but yesterday I realized that it is basically falling into place. With time, I will have the opportunity to make it my own. That felt pretty good. smile

Last edited by JimF; Yesterday at 08:16 AM.

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2746376
Yesterday at 03:20 PM
Yesterday at 03:20 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
That's a great milestone, JimF. What a cool achievement! Doesn't that cause you to wonder about the hows and whys that make events like that happen? And, what a boost to your optimism! smile

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2746405
Yesterday at 06:19 PM
Yesterday at 06:19 PM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
Palmpirate  Offline
P
B.C.Canada
Originally Posted by casinitaly
, and I am still struggling with the 3 over 2 in the Nocturne

Here's something that helped me -

3 vs 2 you say:

Not Diff-i-cult
R----R----R
L--------L

And for 4 vs 3 you say:

Not Ver-y Diff-i-cult
R----R----R-----R
L-------L------L

Think I got it from someone on Piano World.....

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF] #2746408
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
Palmpirate  Offline
P
B.C.Canada
Originally Posted by JimF
....., for some reason I just started to play... no music on the desk. Before I knew what happened I had played through Clair de Lune in its entirety without stopping. Starting in on it this past January was the first time I'd touched it in all that time.......yesterday I realized that it is basically falling into place. .....That felt pretty good. smile

Neat. I wish that would happen for me! I follow your story almost exactly. I learned CDL way back when as a young teen, and took it out again 40+ yrs later when the Debussy Recital was announced. To my horror I had learned a whole lot of bad things and knew it would be a labour of love to rectify it, so I did the Prelude instead. Now that that is over I took CDL to my lesson and we went through it with a fine toothpick....... It's going to take some intense concentration to put it straight back together. I guess I was with a teacher then - who wasn't really a teacher - and was happy that I hit the notes no matter how.....But I'm older and wiser now (!) only I hope I've got the kind of patience I need.... It's too beautiful a piece to let go.

My AOTW is to be almost ready to let Collines d'Annacapris rest a while. I've pretty much got it 'under my fingers' in that I know what's going on and basically what I'm aiming for. Now I just get exhausted and frustrated with niggly little bits that are driving me crazy. Time for a break. Teach agrees since now he is just picking out stuff to go over that I already knew he would. Take a break then go at it again with renewed energy.

[Linked Image]

Page 323 of 323 1 2 321 322 323

Moderated by  BB Player 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX6 heavy action
by Radio.Octave. 06/23/18 03:50 PM
Accident-prone accidentals in printed music
by FrankCox. 06/23/18 02:01 PM
Reyburn Grand Cyberhammer
by Miguel Rey. 06/23/18 12:37 PM
Should I say goodbye?
by eyeluvlucy. 06/23/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,108
Posts2,726,943
Members90,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission