Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
164 registered members (awkmusik, AWilley, Anjru, Animisha, 7uturu, Balezin Dmitry, Alan LJ, AZNpiano, astrotoy, 32 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2511580
02/17/16 02:32 AM
02/17/16 02:32 AM
C
Coyotewoods Offline
Coyotewoods  Offline
C

This thread was last updated over a month ago.

So, as someone who resides in California and hopes to move to Idaho in the next few years, does this mean I'll have to leave my 1948 piano with ivory keys behind? It can't cross into Oregon and then Idaho, unless I replace the ivory with plastic?

Some states are requiring the complete removal of piano ivory? If you own one in New Jersey, for example, you must replace the ivory, regardless of the age of the piano?

You can buy antique piano ivory on eBay. I've done my best to read everything, but maybe I've overlooked certain details. What exactly has been decided specific to the private ownership of these pianos?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2511626
02/17/16 06:47 AM
02/17/16 06:47 AM
Columbus, GA
S
S. Phillips Online content
500 Post Club Member
S. Phillips  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S

Columbus, GA
As of this moment we are still waiting on the US Fish and Wildlife Service to adopt the rule regarding ivory. Everything is sort of in limbo right now. However no state law is requiring that you remove ivory from a piano you already own unless you are trying to sell or trade it. The issue is also not crossing state lines just to move it from one residence to another. The issue is selling it across state lines. If you retain ownership of the piano there should be no issue.

If you live in New Jersey you cannot sell it and other states have enacted similar laws but with some exceptions. But again this is regarding sales not personal ownership. The US regulation that is still being considered has an exception for musical instruments that allows anything under 200 grams of ivory that is part of another item (not solely ivory) to be sold. However this is the regulation that we are waiting on for adoption.

I agree that this is complicated but we all just have to sit tight and see the actual language of the adopted rule to be able to apply the restrictions to any activity.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2511638
02/17/16 07:58 AM
02/17/16 07:58 AM
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
R_B  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Thank you for continuing to update this Sally.

I think this clause covers pianos;

"We have chosen 200 grams as the weight limit because we understand that this is the approximate maximum weight of the ivory veneer on a piano with a full set of ivory keys and that this quantity would also cover most other musical instruments with ivory trim or appointments."

BTW, I find it kinda ODD that the US is considering ANYTHING in metric units of measure laugh

Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2511710
02/17/16 11:46 AM
02/17/16 11:46 AM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
I think grams have been used for a long time in US, State and Local Government laws. I remember being the only person in the courtroom who knew how many grams were in an ounce back in the early 1970's.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2511736
02/17/16 12:54 PM
02/17/16 12:54 PM
Tennessee
E
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ed Foote  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I think grams have been used for a long time in US, State and Local Government laws. I remember being the only person in the courtroom who knew how many grams were in an ounce back in the early 1970's.

Greetings,
I believe that grams are the official measurement in the U.S. in the we define the ounce by how many grams. And most of us that were familiar with "lids" in the '60's and 70's knew exactly how many grams were in an ounce, for some reason

Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2511779
02/17/16 02:27 PM
02/17/16 02:27 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
A crazy thought I know won't work . . .

Would it be THAT terrible to replace on key or two in an otherwise perfect set of ivories with a synthetic substitute (similar to caps, crowns, and replaced teeth)? Especially for very low or high keys (although I would speculate most damage is in the middle). Have a way to color match, as for teeth (which, of course, never do).

A gold key, like a gold tooth? 😁

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2511836
02/17/16 04:40 PM
02/17/16 04:40 PM
Columbus, GA
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Columbus, GA
For an imperfect set of ivories there are synthetic materials that can be used to patch. The problem we will have with the proposed rule is that repairs using real ivory will not be allowed if it is adopted as written.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
www.steinwaypiano.com
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2516693
03/02/16 02:05 PM
03/02/16 02:05 PM
Columbus, GA
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Columbus, GA
Connecticut is trying to pass a law to make POSSESSION of ivory a crime.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/TOB/s/2016SB-00227-R00-SB.htm

This law would mean that no sales of ivory keyed pianos would be allowed AND if you move into the state with a piano with ivory you could be in violation of this law. Enforcement includes a stiff $10,000 fine and 2 years jail time.

In the past these laws only prohibit import, export and sales. This one includes possession. If you already live in the state and own an ivory piano, you will have to be able to prove when you acquired it and that acquisition date predates this law. You will also be required to get a certificate for the piano to be able to keep it and will not be allowed to sell it unless the ivory is removed.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
www.steinwaypiano.com
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: S. Phillips] #2516705
03/02/16 02:20 PM
03/02/16 02:20 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by S. Phillips
Connecticut is trying to pass a law to make POSSESSION of ivory a crime.
That is terrifyingly stupid. The only justice would be if all of the state legislators & elected judges homes were raided, instruments seized, owners jailed the day after it passes. Let their lawyers sort it out in the coming months.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2516840
03/02/16 08:43 PM
03/02/16 08:43 PM
C
Coyotewoods Offline
Coyotewoods  Offline
C

It turns out I don't have ivory keys, but someday I'm sure I will when I rescue an antique upright on its way to the landfill.

While I respect the motivation behind some of these new laws, it's asinine to take it to this extreme.

It sounds more like bandwagon showmanship and Political Correctness Extremis Disorder than a sincere desire to play a meaningful role in halting the global ivory trade.

Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2516851
03/02/16 09:19 PM
03/02/16 09:19 PM
London
D
David-G Offline
2000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

London
I am glad we don't have this sort of idiocy in the UK.

Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2516956
03/03/16 04:28 AM
03/03/16 04:28 AM
France
J
Jean Claude Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jean Claude  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

France
You just wait David, I wouldn't mind betting that there is a nasty little careerist in Brussels or Strasbourg (or even in Westminster) with a weather eye on these developments. If one day you decide to sell your square and get a proper piano you may find yourself faced with the prospect of a stretch in the Scrubs.

Re: Gov. regulations (pending) affecting pianos with ivory... [Re: Rickster] #2517026
03/03/16 09:37 AM
03/03/16 09:37 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Well, I have two pianos with the real, one-piece ivory key-tops. I do not plan to sell the pianos any time soon, or ever. I do have the bill-of-sale, with names, dates, and contact information of the original sellers, should I ever need it.

My conscience does not bother me because my pianos have real ivory key-tops, which I'm 99.9% sure were obtained legally.

I'm not sure where this issues will lead, or if there will be any fairness to owners of vintage musical instrument owners, but as with all government regulations, there is vagueness and ambiguity that is open to interpretation by whoever.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano owner’s stuff on a piano
by TimM_980. 05/20/19 03:11 PM
Roland RD2000 - beginner questions
by Jakers. 05/20/19 01:31 PM
Have you been to Vienna?
by Roadkill. 05/20/19 12:51 PM
Sales on EastWest Pianos
by newer player. 05/20/19 12:35 PM
Roland lx 705 - speakers not working
by GreenMiLES. 05/20/19 12:11 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,070
Posts2,829,752
Members93,366
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission