Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
102 registered (ajames, alphonsus, Akarukun, 36251, apassionata, Adypiano, 25 invisible), 1435 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1105798 - 11/01/08 12:01 AM Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Believe it or not, our 12th quarterly PianoWorld Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of November[/b], which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm EST, November 14.[/b] Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Recital submissions should be in MP3 format. They will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent "free" recording application that can be used.

Submitting your recording:[/b]

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. And thanks to LaValse's extremely generous offer to host the recital program and zip files on his server, it is no longer necessary to upload your mp3 files to box.net or some other file hosting server prior to submitting it to the recital[/b]. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://abf.make247.co.uk/

and follow the instructions there. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital website, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it. (Though there should be no problems. Mahlzeit is a genius. )

Mahlzeit's website will use the same submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive critical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, etc. etc.}

Submissions are limited to a single piece of music. The piece can be a medley, but the different parts of the medley should flow together like a cohesive piece, not just a collection of pieces. There isn’t really a limit to the length of the piece as long as it’s a true piece of music.

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN STANDARD TIME on November 14, 2008.[/b]

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm? Think "consistency of concrete." ;\)

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is an amateur recording of your own performance.[/b]

There will be two separate discussion rooms (threads) for the recital.

In the first, you can chat about the performances, mention something you liked, and ask questions. But this room is NOT for critical discussion of the performance!

The second discussion room (thread) is for the purpose of providing POSITIVE critical feedback and questions for the performers. Performers must indicate in the Additional Info section if they want feedback on their performance. If this indication is not there, then it would not be good form to discuss their piece in this forum.

While real life recitals are not usually the place to criticize the performances, when the student returns to the studio with the teacher, they will frequently receive this critical analysis at that time. This is the goal for the second discussion forum - to provide this critical feedback to the students who would like to receive it and improve their playing.

Again, the recital order will be done in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! This serves to reward the folks who feel on top of their game and it's about as fair as I can think of for all parties. You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask away. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other member’s problems. Please ask away!

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music![/b]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1105799 - 11/01/08 12:45 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi all,

I'm in.

Thank you, Monica, and all others who make this wonderful event possible.

If anyone has an .mp3 recorded and is hesitant/fearful to submit it to the recital, I urge you to overcome these obstacles and participate. On the 15th of November you'll be proud and happy with your decision to enter.

Best of luck and warm regards to all, \:\)

Sincerely,

Lisztener

#1105800 - 11/01/08 12:54 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I'm in as well.

As a second time recitalist I encourage all the beginners that have a method of recording to simply pick something and get it done. We don't even care how simple the piece is. You'll will likely have some major nerves fighting that red dot for the first time and really feel it when you're nearly done with a good take. However, I had less of a problem with that even though it is only my 2nd time. Of course, as I get into more complex pieces I'm sure I'll get nervous during the end of good takes. It's just something we have to work on, and the recitals are the best bet without getting in front of a live audience.

Good luck everyone!

AnthonyB

#1105801 - 11/01/08 01:03 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Ode2Joy Offline

Loc: southern cal
Hello!

This is my first post and my first submission. I've been lurking around for almost a year now and have found the forum to be a great source of information, support, and fun. This is such a friendly group, so what better place to start and contribute?

Cheers! :-)

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1105802 - 11/01/08 01:10 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Monica K. Offline

Welcome to the forum, Ode2Joy! Or maybe I should say "welcome out of lurkdom." \:D

Can't wait to hear your recital piece. \:\)

p.s. great login name, btw!

#1105803 - 11/01/08 01:33 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
mr_super-hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mines in. If you like my musical style, you will love this original composition. If not, you WILL puke!, you have been warned.

#1105804 - 11/01/08 01:42 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Welcome to the forum, Ode2Joy! Or maybe I should say "welcome out of lurkdom." \:D

Can't wait to hear your recital piece. \:\)

p.s. great login name, btw! [/b]
Ode2Joy: When Monica says she can't wait to hear your recital piece it likely means she's headed over to abuse her recital administrator powers and take a listen to the piece. \:D

However, Monica has a bit of an excuse to pre-listen since she won't have much time to write up those reviews while she gets ready to head out to San Francisco later this month. \:\)

#1105805 - 11/01/08 08:53 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
 Quote:
Mines in. If you like my musical style, you will love this original composition. If not, you WILL puke!, you have been warned.
Ooooh, I can't wait! Musical Russian Roulette. \:D

#1105806 - 11/01/08 09:33 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm in with my newest song from my soon to be hit broadway musical "The Last Man Alive". This is the theme song written about a guy that has his girl dump him for a Navy Seal. He takes it badly. He sings this song after not leaving his apartment for three straight weeks, living on M and M's, pizza crust and 7up. As you can see... a real upbeat number!

#1105807 - 11/01/08 10:19 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
I'm in. I think this is my first time doing this. I submitted it this morning, the only thing I don't like is the 2 week wait for the critique. \:D

#1105808 - 11/01/08 10:22 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Monica,

Is it ok to post a tune I recorded 2 months ago?

#1105809 - 11/01/08 10:52 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Okay, I'm in (but may wish I weren't). If I get a chance, I will probably redo it as there are a couple of glaring mistakes in it.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1105810 - 11/01/08 10:54 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by epf:
Okay, I'm in (but may wish I weren't). If I get a chance, I will probably redo it as there are a couple of glaring mistakes in it.

Ed [/b]
Me too! In my case, it's a hesitation roughly the duration of a glacier melting. \:D

Knotty: yes, it's fine to submit something you've recorded earlier. \:\)

#1105811 - 11/01/08 12:19 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Michiyo-Fir Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does anyone mind if I just record a bad quality sound file from the mic on my computer?

I haven't gotten the line-in/line-out stuff to work with my CP300 yet because my laptop doesn't have line-in. I'll figure it out soon but I'd like to participate in this, is it ok?

#1105812 - 11/01/08 12:51 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Benny Offline

Loc: Germany
I'm in (for the very first time). Today, I have stopped recording and uploaded the "best" I had so far.

Looking forward to hearing all the contributions. \:\)

#1105813 - 11/01/08 01:04 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Michiyo-Fir:
Does anyone mind if I just record a bad quality sound file from the mic on my computer?

[/b]
Go for it... we've had some recordings in the past using a laptop mic that were surprisingly good.

You might also read over mahlzeit's great website on how to record piano. He has a section on mysteries involved with digitals and line in/out etc. Maybe there's something in there you could use:

http://www.pianoclues.com/how-to-record-piano/

#1105814 - 11/01/08 03:48 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
ohitpro Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
I'm in (also a first-timer)...

Had some issues with Synthfont but got it straightened out and the conversion added some noise that I might try to clean up before the 15th or maybe not...

Thanks to everyone who make the recitals possible!

#1105815 - 11/01/08 05:43 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Great initiative. I really want to participate but I haven't finished my piece yet because I was busy graduating. I will do everything I can to complete it in time. I'll probably be the last submitter. \:\)

#1105816 - 11/01/08 07:11 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
flyingfroggy Offline

Hi, I'm out of lurkdom and in, too, warts, bloopers and all! :p

Regards,
froggy

#1105817 - 11/02/08 01:31 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Kawaigirl1,

It sure is good to see that you have an entry. I can hardly wait to hear your beautiful play.

Regards,

Lisztener

#1105818 - 11/02/08 07:29 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I'll try to record something today or Tuesday. These deadlines are very effective at concentrating the mind!

#1105819 - 11/02/08 03:02 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I'm gonna try! Is it too early for Christmas stuff, as that's what I'm working on for a (live) recital.

#1105820 - 11/02/08 08:00 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Monica K. Offline

Christmas music would be very nice.

#1105821 - 11/02/08 08:28 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
(Was)TrueBeginner Offline

Loc: Northern VA, US
Does anyone have the same problem as mine. My record sounds ok in Audacity. When I exported to MP3, it created a little bit of noise ( this did not happen before ) but it was still not that bad. When I uploaded to the recital site and tried to listen to it there, the noise got very noticeable. I tried to resubmit a couple of times yesterday and today but it does not help. I am desperate and fell from number 9 to 23 or something now \:\(

TB

#1105822 - 11/02/08 10:00 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
 Quote:
Originally posted by TrueBeginner:
Does anyone have the same problem as mine. My record sounds ok in Audacity. When I exported to MP3, it created a little bit of noise ( this did not happen before ) but it was still not that bad. When I uploaded to the recital site and tried to listen to it there, the noise got very noticeable. I tried to resubmit a couple of times yesterday and today but it does not help. I am desperate and fell from number 9 to 23 or something now \:\(

TB [/b]
The noise probably got noticeable after submission, because uploaded files get normalized on the server - it means that if yours were quiet, they got amplified, and so did the noise.

Record with your piano set to a higher volume.

#1105823 - 11/03/08 08:36 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by JeanieA:
I'm gonna try! Is it too early for Christmas stuff, as that's what I'm working on for a (live) recital. [/b]
JeanieA - love to hear it!

You can either submit it to this (12th ABF) Recital (by 11/15) or if you need a couple more weeks to work on it (to your satisfaction) you can submit it to the upcoming "Holiday Music" thread starting on 12/1.

Either way - please share

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1105824 - 11/03/08 08:41 AM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions

Thanks Eternal. I recorded with the highest volumn I could (if it is too high the sound will clip in some part). I knew that the file will get normalized on upload. So I tried to normalize it before hand and eliminated all the noises before uploading. But it does not seem to do anything. Oh well, I will leave it as is this time, I don't want to move futher down the list \:\( Maybe I should look into MIDI (I used line-in/out now)

TB

#1105825 - 11/03/08 01:56 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
TrueBeginner: I abused my knowledge of the password to listen to your submission and the noise wasn't too bad. There's a little static in the background but I wouldn't worry too much about it. \:\)

#1105826 - 11/03/08 02:07 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions

Thanks Mahlzeit for checking it for me. I really appreciate your time to help. Now I can relax a little bit and go to research for my problem with Audacity Export. The file sounds clear before exporting ( even with the highest volumn )

TB

#1105827 - 11/03/08 02:07 PM Re: Recital #12 --- Call for Submissions
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
mahlzeit - does editing submission info bump you down in the list or only mp3 upload does it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Piano Wire Music Wire Piano Strings

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Year I Became a Piano Tuner
by tonyster220763
04/28/17 07:13 AM
Hammer blow distance and dynamic range
by electone2007
04/28/17 06:16 AM
USB Thumb Drive vs. External Hard Drive
by DCCCXLV
04/28/17 05:47 AM
Kawai ES8 FM TiNES Sample Library
by Kakaze74
04/28/17 05:37 AM
So, what does it really take?
by PianogrlNW
04/27/17 10:57 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,540 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,257 Topics
2,620,010 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission