Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
102 registered (ajames, alphonsus, Akarukun, 36251, apassionata, Adypiano, 25 invisible), 1435 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#998931 - 09/21/08 07:56 AM 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi Folks

I have just made a new post in my blog with regards to beginning to Noodle (its a technical term ) at the piano and I have made 2 videos with my new video camera \:\)

this is what I say:-

After posting my recent noodling session .mp3 I have had quite a lot of mail. One person even reckoned I was some sort of "freeeky genius" but, of course this is not true! LOL

I have had a few requests to explain how I do it so, I have bought myself a new video recorder this week and decided to make a video for y'all which I had to split into 2 parts as "youtube" only allow 10 minutes maximum.

These 2 videos are for those that wanted to know more and learn how easy it is to do

DISCLAIMER: The singing isn't very good so don't be alarmed and keep young children away from the computer whilst watching this! LOL

I hope you enjoy watching them and that they help you to spend more time having fun at your keyboard/piano.

I have checked with Mike over at pianomagic.com and he is happy that there is nothing in the videos that would tread on his copyright material (even if he is much better at teaching this kind of stuff as a small part of what he teaches over there)

You can go to my blog to see them

http://seasidelees.blogspot.com/

or heres the links for the videos

Beginning Noodling with Seaside Part One [click here]

Beginning Noodling with Seaside Part Two [click here]

Please let me know if the quality of the video is okay for you because I had to reduce it a little for youtube and for the size of the file (dial up make take forever?) and let me know if you find the angle okay as its the best I could do off the tripod.

Thanks

Hope it helps you to have a try at noodling/improvising - BTW I can expand on these if you like them and would like me to do some more?

Lee

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#998932 - 09/21/08 10:19 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lee,
I thoroughly enjoyed both of these and learned a lot! I've had trouble following some of your earlier videos, but I understood what you doing thru both of these (maybe I'm just paying better attention. \:\) ) In any case I hope to see more!

#998933 - 09/21/08 10:31 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Carol I. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi Seaside,

Your videos are terrific! You make it look so easy. For all the time I spend practicing chords and arpeggios it never occurred to me to put them together like that. It's astonishing to see you build it up gradually in that way and create such a nice sound.

I had to rewind to hear again the part where you introduce the 1-6-2-5 series in the first video as it wasn't quite clear to me where that came from, but it works well.

Anyway, you did a great job. I'm sure there will be a demand for more, but I think there's plenty for anyone to work on after studying just the two you've posted so far.

Carol
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-380
Roland Digital Harpsichord C-30

#998934 - 09/21/08 12:16 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Busy Bee Offline

Thanks Seaside Lee!!!!! Please post more and more. You are helping me "unlock" my right brain by not listening to the "detail"!

Please keep sharing ;\)

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#998935 - 09/21/08 01:43 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know that you watched and you enjoyed them

Bluekeys: maybe you understand because you see things more clearly now? ;\)

Carol: Yup, that's the beauty of video you can always rewind (or fast forward past the singing!

#998936 - 09/21/08 01:53 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Lee,

The videos are great! You make it look so easy. \:D

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post them. \:\)

Best regards,

Rickster

#998937 - 09/21/08 02:16 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Seaside, that was great. Yeah, it looks easy \:\)

And it *is* easy -

It's the way I do my "semi-improv" like the Black and White Rag I had in the last recital(of which I'll have another example in the next recital). I play around at slow speeds - I have to noodle slower than you do here \:D - until I hear something I like and can repeat it, and then I can *memorize* that at higher speeds. At slow speeds I can eventually mix and match licks I've discovered noodling around, and can sometimes do so at high speed.

But the process of building on a simple start is excellent, and it really *does* lead to being able to do a little more complex things over time. It also, thank goodness, introduces some *mistakes* that turn out to be really fine variations \:D - not just your basic triadic chords and triad notes in the right hand.

I had to work for a *long* time before I could do the bass/chord left hand you use part of the time here, but I can now do it at the speed at which you do it here pretty comfortably. Rhythm noodling, as you show here, also comes more easily to me than melodic noodling.

But I think you do an excellent job of showing the whole process, and it's a really good base for people to work from. It shows that noodling and improvising can be a calculated risk, and not just random banging around \:D , and I think it's the impression that improvisation is random that intimidates some folks.

Really well done, and with a good understanding of your watchers' needs.

Cathy

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#998938 - 09/21/08 02:39 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Seaside - in the second video I had more trouble understanding some of your words. Partly they didn't carry over the piano, and partly they were spoken as fast as one speaks in regular converstation, I think. I think, since we can't *lip read* in these kinds of videos, maybe playing more softly while you are speaking, and slowing down and articulating more than we might in every day speech would help.

Of course, I'm deaf as a post \:D -

Cathy

#998939 - 09/21/08 02:47 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Steve Sensation

Cathy

#998940 - 09/21/08 02:53 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
mr_super-hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Howdy lee.

First off, what you did by instructing your method is really cool. I'm actually fascinated by how different our learning methods are but you explained your method in a way that made it very easy to understand for others and I'm sure they are very grateful for that.

Also, I think some of the chicks on this forum will really dig your english accent so be prepared for more fans! ;\) .

Great post.

#998941 - 09/21/08 03:52 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland
Very interesting style

#998942 - 09/21/08 07:57 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Folks

Thanks for the comments \:\)

Cathy: thanks for the advice on how my voice is coming accross I shall try and speak a little clearer and slower next time...and yes it is easy!

Glad you enjoyed the vids Rickster

Ragtime: interesting that you find it interesting LOL - thanks for watching \:\)

Hunkster: How about we can talk you into making a video about your style now, that would be cool ...and ahem...I may get 'em on the accent (if they can tell what I'm saying LOL) but, I'll lose 'em on the singing \:\(

Still, I could do with a few groupies this single life aint all its cracked up to be :p

Lee

#998943 - 09/22/08 04:17 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
that s really cool, cheers mate! i ll have a go at your exercises starting tonight

#998944 - 09/22/08 08:26 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
quiescen Offline

Loc: San Diego
Hi Seaside,

Just watched your videos. Very interesting. Looks like you shot it on the Titanic (tilted keyboard)

Just kidding though. Very helpful to newbies.

I also have a video that shows beginners how to improvise. It's titled "Reflections in Water" and uses open position chords to get students improvising right away.

Find the video at my site http://www.quiescencemusic.com

-- Edward

#998945 - 09/22/08 08:49 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
TryingToPlay Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Seaside, thank you for posting your noodling videos. I found them to be quite helpful, and I expect other viewers will as well. It was somewhat eye-opening for me to see/hear the pleasant sounds that can be generated with creative noodling.

Thanks to your video, I have a pretty good idea of what is to be done to make the music you demonstrate. One would think it would be a simple step to then actually do it myself. It's interesting (and unfortunate) that that isn't so I wonder what's missing. I'm suspecting that it is more than just repetitions.

Perhaps this may be difficult, but if the camera could be positioned so that it more directly and clearly focused on your hands, viewers could more easily pick up exactly what you are doing and further benefit from your instruction.

Once again, Seaside, thanks for the valuable post.

Lenny

#998946 - 09/22/08 10:04 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi izaldu: glad you liked them

Hi Edward: Yes the Titanic! LOL - of course I'm sure you'll know that I've previously been a member of your site for a few years - sadly, not your greatest student as it was always something I meant to knuckle down with but, never got round to kicking my lazy butt into - but its a great site especially for those that like new age music and I know that Rosa and Alene are very fond of you and your teaching method \:\)

Hi Lenny: yes I need to figure out a way to get my tripod higher because I tried it behind but all you got to see was my head? Maybe Edward can tell me how he gets his camera totally over head?

Remember though Lenny I've been noodling almost everyday for the past 5 years so a lot of the stuff I do is on automatic - infact, its harder than I thought to teach it (and video it) without making a boo boo here and there! - so people like Edward and Mike at pianomagic have my deepest respect already. ;\)

Still at least I don't have the pressure of having to be totally professional and I am kinda free to make a total hash of things seeing as I'm just a hack doing it for the love LOL

Thanks again guys

Lee

#998947 - 09/22/08 11:01 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
mr_super-hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Lee, I actually did once post up a sort of "how to" Super-Hunky style video in which I showed my method (if it even is one!) while playing Stairway to heaven.

It was several years ago and would need to be updated but I could possibly attempt another video in the future.

Btw, just a side note and not meant to derail this thread but how about hooking up with some of the hot gym bunnies from your gym? \:D .

#998948 - 09/23/08 02:06 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
TryingToPlay Offline

Seaside, in the instruction video, you demonstrate with a melody note of E. E alone, E octave, E (maybe minor) chord, E ending a short runup or rundown, etc.

I was wondering why you selected E. Is there something special about E (in your key of C) that makes most combinations sound good? If so, are there other notes that share this characteristic (or is the third of the key scale just especially attractive)? Or did you pick it so it would be a comfortable note to also use in the second video where you demoed using A minor (E being the fifth of that scale)? Or what?

#998949 - 09/23/08 06:23 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Mr SH

Yes a new video from you would be fantastic I'm sure many would like to see it

Quote:
how about hooking up with some of the hot gym bunnies from your gym? .
Sadly, I lost the gym \:\( (and it was mainly guys anyways as the focus was bodybuilding)

Hi Lenny good question thanks \:\) \:\)

The truth is I just picked any note from the C scale there was no deeper thought than that?

The excercise is best for beginners (either new to piano or just new to noodling and listening to the sounds created) to keep it at one note in the right hand whilst they practise playing different left hand rhythms.

Always keep things simple and grow from there

If you can already play rhythm easily then try different notes and listen to the sounds the notes create.

I've got 3 more videos for y'all in a moment that are expanding on this concept...I am hoping they will bring up more questions than answers so that you all can guide me to present this thing better and to inspire you all to mess around and noodle when you've done practising.

Lee

#998950 - 09/23/08 06:55 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Okay here goes

Now please bear in mind these are only ideas that I'm throwing at you.

The feedback I get will help me present the videos more clearly but, I think these are the direction I am wanting to go with this

Video 3 [click here]

Video 4 [click here]

Video 5 [click here]

As I say these are just rather rough...the feedback I get will determine how I need to present them to make things easier for you

Thanks in advance

Lee

#998951 - 09/23/08 07:39 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rosanna pointed out over at pianomagic that I may have confused everybody by talking about the circle of fifths without explaining or referring to a diagram of it

so just for clarity

here is a picture

Notice the outside of the circle going anti-clockwise back to C

The chords go A - D - G - C (Am, Dm, G7 C ;\) )

and going one more click to the right

goes E - A - D - G - C

regards

Lee

#998952 - 09/23/08 03:08 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Lenny

I've recorded these 2 just for you I'd be obliged if you could let me know whether this angle makes things any easier/clearer?

A Better Angle? For Lenny Part One [click here]

A Better Angle? For Lenny Part Two [click here]

Again apologies for upsetting young family members with my singing! :p

Hope they help more

Lee \:\)

#998953 - 09/24/08 02:10 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hey, Seaside - I'm too sleepy to say a lot, but the angles on 3,4, and the "better angles" were indeed better angles! I also could hear you better, and particularly when you were explaining without playing at the same time, but most always in any case.

I do like the way you've expanded on the concepts - still playing the E but now keeping it in the middle of the hand, etc.

These are really quite helpful, I think, and I actually like the fact that occasionally you correct yourself, or do a little hunting around, because that's actually the way it works!

Thanks for taking the time to put these together.

Cathy

#998954 - 09/24/08 06:59 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Cathy \:\)

I'm glad you could hear them dear...I SAID I'M GLAD THAT YOU COULD...just check has she got it switched on?...Cathy can you hear? ...erm...someone give her a nudge (I am just kidding LOL)

Seriously thanks for the feedback \:D

Thats it for now I'm going to leave it at that for a while. I have had a couple of days spare this week and its amazing how long it takes to make them then transfer them to the computer and upload 'em to youtube!!

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest over here (judging by the response so far?) so, I'm pretty sure that should be enough to get anyone started who is interested in having a bit of "Seaside style fun noodling" at their piano \:\)

thanks again and you're welcome \:\)

Lee

#998955 - 09/24/08 12:48 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
ohitpro Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Hi Seaside_Lee,

Great videos! Nice use of a simple premise to show how relatively easy it is to improvise. Motivated me to try some new things!

Casio PX-2/800? How's yours holding up? Mine's got a few clunkier keys than when new but I guess that's what we get for the $.

Your singing was fine!

- Tom

#998956 - 09/24/08 03:17 PM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Lee, I actually did once post up a sort of "how to" Super-Hunky style video in which I showed my method (if it even is one!) while playing Stairway to heaven.

It was several years ago and would need to be updated but I could possibly attempt another video in the future.

Btw, just a side note and not meant to derail this thread but how about hooking up with some of the hot gym bunnies from your gym? \:D . [/b]
Mr Hunky,
After listening to your wonderful playing all this time, I would love to see a demonstration video where you show us how you go about your noodling. I am sure it would be intructional and inspiring at the same time. And to see how you and Lee may differ or be similar in your "methods" would also be very enlightening.

Oh, and just a suggestion: while you are recording, you can be wearing your speedo - guarantees a viewership! \:D

#998957 - 09/25/08 07:16 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
TryingToPlay Offline

Seaside, thank you for your very helpful new videos. I was away from the forums for a day or two and was pleasantly surprised to discover this latest valuable contribution.

First of all, yes, the new camera angle is quite an improvement; seeing your hands more clearly is a real help.

These two new videos contains lots of good stuff, and I expect to spend considerable time reviewing them. I appreciate the time and energy you spent in creating them. The attention to detail, showing the fingering, notating your playing with spoken explanations, etc. are especially beneficial. Thank you.

Your demos triggered quite a few questions. For this post, let me start out with an arpeggio question:
In your demonstrated arpeggio pattern, you typically show a five note arpeggio. This works very nicely in your noodling and I'm wondering about its general applicability. Let me explain: Assuming we're limiting the discussion to slow ballads, would you typically use the five note pattern for a tune in both 3/4 time and 4/4 time. And would you continue this pattern independent of what was going on in the RH. For example, in a RH measure containing a single whole note, would you continue with the 5 note LH pattern or extend it? And perhaps more significantly, when the RH melody contains multiple 1/8 notes, do you continue the 5 note LH pattern or perhaps abbreviate it.

If I were a competent player and someone asked me these same kinds of questions, I might reply with "Play whatever sounds good to you". Perhaps that should be a sufficient answer but I'm always looking for rules and guidelines -- very likely a left-brained / right-brained thing. So if you have any hints, I'd be delighted to hear them; but if you feel this is something that properly just comes with experience, I certainly understand that as well.

BTW, would you say your noodling was in 2/4 time, or was it 4/4 or something else?

Again, Seaside, thanks for the videos. It was kind of you to provide them.

Lenny

#998958 - 09/25/08 08:58 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Tom \:\)

The Casio is a PX320 and so far so good - for the money I love it. I have had to leave my beloved Yamaha CLP170 in polished ebony with the Ex for my eldest's piano lessons (which was kinda sad but, thats life I suppose)

Maybe there's hope for my singing - Now I'm no longer in a relationship where my singing was not allowed, I do sing more (even if only in the shower! LOL)

Maybe I need to meet someone who loves me for my piano playing and singing \:D

#998959 - 09/25/08 09:16 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Lenny

I'm thrilled the video was better for you

and thats a great question or 2 \:\)

The 5 note arpeggio can be played in both 3/4 and 4/4 time

try and think it like this to begin with always keep your thinking simple and grow from there

In 3/4, the 5 counts are the 1&2&3 and the blank space is the last '&'

In 4/4, the 5 counts (played as 1/2 beats) are still the 1&2&3 but, then leave '&4&' as a breathing space
 Code:

3/4 = 1 & 2 & 3 &

4/4 = 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
Keep it like that at first

Ahem as I mentioned there may be a few times where I slip from 3/4 to 4/4 in the videos but, hey that's always been my kicker and I still need to work on it (and seeing as I may have slipped between timings? I can probably understand why you needed to ask! )

I only ever think/feel the beat of 3/4 or 4/4 because I play by ear ;\)

Hope that helps?

regards

#998960 - 09/25/08 11:25 AM Re: 2 new video lessons for beginners from me
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Very nice. I wonder if you could go into more detail regarding the left hand. Its very stride like...

thanks

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Piano Wire Music Wire Piano Strings

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Year I Became a Piano Tuner
by tonyster220763
04/28/17 07:13 AM
Hammer blow distance and dynamic range
by electone2007
04/28/17 06:16 AM
USB Thumb Drive vs. External Hard Drive
by DCCCXLV
04/28/17 05:47 AM
Kawai ES8 FM TiNES Sample Library
by Kakaze74
04/28/17 05:37 AM
So, what does it really take?
by PianogrlNW
04/27/17 10:57 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,540 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,257 Topics
2,620,010 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission