Piano World Home Page
Hi,

First time post here, so be gentle wink

I have just bought a Yamaha P85. Should I get the Yamaha FC4 pedal or the M-Audio SP2 sustain pedal? Does the 'half-damper'effect work with the M-Audio pedal on the Yamaha? I've heard the M-Audio pedal is heavier to operate which is no bad thing as I did find the old FC3 pedal a tad light.

Many thanks for any advice: good, bad or ugly.

Cheers,

Andy
I have both the Yamaha FC4 pedal and the M-Audio SP2 pedal that I used on a Yamaha P-70, Yamaha PSR-E413 and a Yamaha YPG-235. They both work just fine! I kind of like the feel of the M-Audio pedal better, but that's just a personal preference. Either pedal will work just fine with your P-85. Hope this helps!
Originally Posted by Honkytonkman
Hi,

First time post here, so be gentle wink

I have just bought a Yamaha P85. Should I get the Yamaha FC4 pedal or the M-Audio SP2 sustain pedal? Does the 'half-damper'effect work with the M-Audio pedal on the Yamaha? I've heard the M-Audio pedal is heavier to operate which is no bad thing as I did find the old FC3 pedal a tad light.

Many thanks for any advice: good, bad or ugly.

Cheers,

Andy

The M-Audio pedal is pretty good. "Feel" is like a real piano and does take some effort to press. They have simulated the mechanics pretty well. it is heavy enough not to scoot around on the floor. But no half pedal. The m-audio is just a simple on/off switch.

It also as a switch so you can reverse the polarity to work with any digital piano.

Many thanks for the advice. I've ordered an M-Audio SP2 pedal smile

Cheers,

Andy
Excellent purchase! I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Originally Posted by ChrisA
[quote=Honkytonkman] But no half pedal. The m-audio is just a simple on/off switch.

why then does the specs say this?
Product Features

Classic-style sustain pedal for use with any electronic keyboard
Designed to work and feel just like acoustic piano's sustain pedal
Specially designed rubber bottom grips the floor while you play
High-quality chrome foot pedal with expressive half-pedal capabilities
Includes 6-foot cable with 1/4-inch jack; 1-year warranty

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-US65010-Sustain-Pedal-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K
However, on one of the pictures from Amazon, you clearly see a TS jack, not a TRS jack. So I'm pretty sure it's just a switch.

BTW it seems that 3rd party pedals that support half pedalling and the Yamaha standard simply do not exist. Pity.
Originally Posted by andi85
However, on one of the pictures from Amazon, you clearly see a TS jack, not a TRS jack. So I'm pretty sure it's just a switch.

hmmmm I wonder what casio's sp32 plug(s)(i ordered the sp32 for my px3) look like? is it a fact that because its a ts jack there is no potentiometer in the pedal?
Originally Posted by craig1999871
Originally Posted by ChrisA
[quote=Honkytonkman] But no half pedal. The m-audio is just a simple on/off switch.

why then does the specs say this?
Product Features

Classic-style sustain pedal for use with any electronic keyboard
Designed to work and feel just like acoustic piano's sustain pedal
Specially designed rubber bottom grips the floor while you play
High-quality chrome foot pedal with expressive half-pedal capabilities
Includes 6-foot cable with 1/4-inch jack; 1-year warranty

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-US65010-Sustain-Pedal-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K

It doesn't have half pedalling capabilities, I have one myself, the Yamaha FC3 does though.
Originally Posted by Mavs972
[quote=craig1999871][quote=ChrisA][quote=Honkytonkman]

It doesn't have half pedalling capabilities, I have one myself, the Yamaha FC3 does though.

so false advertising?

looks like korg pedal is also misleading then. says half pedaling supported and only shows a TS jack.

[img:center]http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pu...fFe94XielXIRJQGqu8uv2ARgi0s4uxJdcv5nkdTZ[/img]

http://www.streamlineav.com/korg-pi...mp;cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=4b4f522d44532d3148

is there an up-to-date list of pedals that support half pedaling? guess if there is, pedals like sp2 would be a lie anyway.

I'm guessing the Yamaha fc3 pedal would NOT function on the Casio privia's with continuous sustain capabilities. Just a simple on/off switch
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums