Piano World Home Page

Mellow Roland RD-700GX Piano Settings!

Posted By: Huygens

Mellow Roland RD-700GX Piano Settings! - 11/21/09 01:52 PM

I was at my local shop and played a little on the Roland RD-700GX and on various Yamaha CLPs.

And yes, the RD-700GX has a more bright sound. Too bright in my taste, so I asked the salesman to adjust the RD-700GX "Mellow Piano" instrument to make it sound more like the CLPs. He failed, making the RD-700GX sound less rich in tones (he reduced the treble mostly).

Does anyone have RD-700GX settings for making the sound become as close to the mellowness of real CLPs? They have a wonderful richness from their speakers.

I listened to the sound both with a headphone and from the quite weak Roland DS-7 speakers (used for guitarrs and connected with a TS cable, instead of TRS).

Settings for Roland RD-700GX on any other piano, like the Grands/Ultimate, to make it more mellow, but still rich in sound, would be very appreciated.

And, if you know that's impossible to provide (for example because the RD-700GX is sampled with bright-only-pianos), please tell me.
Posted By: 7even

Re: Mellow Roland RD-700GX Piano Settings! - 11/21/09 10:50 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you listen to the CLPs with headphones? My impression has always been that the CLPs have a brighter sound by default, much like the Yamaha acoustics, while the 700GX is mellower...

Re: Mellow Roland RD-700GX Piano Settings! - 11/21/09 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 7even
Just out of curiosity, did you listen to the CLPs with headphones? My impression has always been that the CLPs have a brighter sound by default, much like the Yamaha acoustics, while the 700GX is mellower...

Yes, it was one CLP-340 with headphones. And two more CLPs with speakers only.

Re: Mellow Roland RD-700GX Piano Settings! - 11/26/09 09:30 AM

Update, I have done the following:

In shop A: I made the shop personal 'factory reset' the RD-700GX and then listened a 2nd time through some high quality headphones. The Roland sounded better, but still a little poorer, colder and harder compared to the CLP-340, which had a richer and softer sound. I tried more voices this time.

In shop B: I found no 700GX, but they had a Roland RD-300GX, which sounded better to me than I remembered that the 700GX had sounded, with almost the same speaker system! Shop B had no CLPs to compare the 300GX with on place, though. I noticed that the 300GX had a simpler keyboard.

It could be that the 700GX demo example in shop A is a little worn out, perhaps, as the 300GX sounded better to me in shop B. Maybe there are different versions of the RD-700GX, and I got to listen to an older one?

Or maybe this is only a matter of psychology? smile
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums