Piano World Home Page
Posted By: anniep23 Roland Kr577 vs Kurzweil V110 vs Yamaha 990 - 06/07/02 04:33 AM
I am planning on buying a digital piano. The most important thing to me is the most piano-like feel as possible. I play a lot of classical music. I also want to be able to record as I play for playback when practicing.

I have played the Roland KR577 and the Kurzweil V110. I like the feel of the Roland. I like the sound of the Kurzweil. The feel of the Kurzweil is good, the sound is great, but I can't record on it. I've read that the Yamaha 990 is very piano-like but I haven't found one to try in my area.

Is it possible with the Roland to get the Kurzweil sound? I've never had a digital piano. I've been reading posts and I am confused on whether this is possible or not and if possible, how do I accomplish the task?

With the Kurzweil, I've been told I could use a PC to record as I play. How does this compare to having a record option on the piano itself?

Any comments on the Yamaha. Is it worth a several hour drive to try?
Is it possible with the Roland to get the Kurzweil sound? I've never had a digital piano. I've been reading posts and I am confused on whether this is possible or not and if possible, how do I accomplish the task?
You can get a Kurzweil sound with the Roland keyboard by using a Kurzweil "tone module" with the Roland keyboard. The good news: flexibility as well as a multitude of sounds. The bad news: it will cost you more.

You'll need whatever Roland keyboard you decide on, a Kurzweil piano module such as the PC2R or the ME-1, and a MIDI cable (around $12). You'll also need to have a "playback device" (speakers, amp, etc.) that can handle two inputs (from the Roland and the Kurzweil). This may sound complicated, but it's not that bad. If you end up going this route, the dealer can easily show you how to hook it up.
With the Kurzweil, I've been told I could use a PC to record as I play. How does this compare to having a record option on the piano itself?
This is also fairly simple. You'll need two MIDI cables (around $12 each), a MIDI interface for your computer (which you may have on your sound card, or you can buy a USB MIDI interface for around $60), and some MIDI sequencing software (sequencing is what you're referring to when you say "recording") which will run you around $75 for a really good one.

The advantage to having it built into the keyboard is that you only need to buy one thing (no cables, no software needed). If your keyboard is portable, then the sequencer (recorder) goes with you.

However, the computer option has its advantages as well. You have greater storage capability. But the best advantage in my opinion is the graphic interface. I'd rather be looking at a computer monitor in millions of colors than a much smaller, less friendly screen on a keyboard.

I actually have both. I do almost all my sequencing on either my laptop or my desktop computers using a program called Digital Performer. If I need portability (beyond my laptop), I'll save the sequence as a Standard MIDI File and save to a floppy disk (yes, they still make those). One of my keyboards has a sequencer and disk drive built-in. I just pop the disk in and I have a mobile system as well. It works great!!!
I like the feel of the Roland. I like the sound of the Kurzweil.
I've found the range around middle-C on Kurzweil piano samples to sound wonderful. But if you listen carefully and play up and down the keyboard, you can hear some pretty audible breaks where each new sample kicks in (more than one sample is used when creating these sounds). I find the Roland to sound more even.

BTW - the best sampled piano (in a keyboard) I'm aware of is the expansion board called "Concert Grand" made by Roland for their XV series keyboards. Truly musical samples!!!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums