Piano World Home Page
Posted By: realdrm Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 08/24/06 01:54 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a digital piano and have decided that the Yamaha CLP-230 is the best fit for my requirements. Reading through all the postings about CLP-230's on this forum, it seems like the market price range should be $1900-$2100 (one lucky poster got one for $1750 in Virginia). This is corroberated by the online advertised prices for the CLP-230 in Europe.

However, when I went to the local Yamaha dealer he quoted me a price of $2250 for the CLP-230 and $1595 for the CLP-220 (the other keyboard I was test-playing). Besides, he said $2250 was a special sale price and if I came back the next day the price would be $2595 [there were big "special sale" signs around]. I told him $2250 was too much and tried briefly and ineptly to negotiate him down, but he wouldn't budge. So I walked away.

Am I somehow off about my pricing? I think $2595 is the MSRP, but $2250 just seems way out of line for the actual market price. My normal next step would be to try other dealers, but the closest 4 Yamaha dealers to me are all owned by the same outfit, so I don't know that I'd get a different reaction.

Any advice?

Also, I have heard that the different cabinet finishes on the Yamaha CLP-230 command different prices. Can anyone confirm this, and perhaps tell me the least expensive flavor? I really don't care what color CLP-230 I get. Here's what I've gathered exists:

CLP-230M Mahogany
CLP-230C Cherry
CLP-230R-K Rosewood
CLP-230R Rosewood

Thanks so much -- this forum has been an excellent resource for me as I was researching Digital pianos.

realdrm
Posted By: signa Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 08/24/06 02:41 PM
the dealers usually have a bass price plus minumum profit margin on it, but most times they'd try to sell it in higher price for the obvious reason. i guess that your best option is to go to different dealers and compare the prices they offer and take the best one. i don't think there's much price difference with the colors of the model, except PE type which would be priced more just for the coating.
Posted By: Jessica B. Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 08/25/06 05:24 PM
Hi realdrm,

Where are you located? If you're anywhere in or near New Jersey, let me know and we can talk privately. I got a good deal on a Clavinova, and I would like to give my sales rep some more business.

As for cabinet finishes, I don't think there should be any differences in price, except for the expensive PE (polished ebony) finish that signa mentioned. (I think there's a pricey polished mahogany, or PM, finish as well.) But as far as I know, these pricey finishes only apply to the CLP-280 model, so I think you may have nothing to worry about. My sales rep suggested (and I bought) a dark rosewood finish because the color goes with most things.

Best of luck,

Jessica
Posted By: Christopher P. Smith Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 08/25/06 06:51 PM
What state are you shopping in?
Posted By: Kendahl Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 08/25/06 07:31 PM
We just bought a CLP-240 for $2400. The same dealer asked $1900 for a CLP-230.

There are two dealers in our area. The one from whom we bought gave us his best price up front. The other had a $3000 sign on the CLP-240, but offered the floor unit to us for $2500. His first price on a CLP-230 was $2300. In the end, the two dealers were essentially tied in price, but I was turned off by the second one's attempt to suck us into paying more than he really was willing to take.

Unlike acoustic pianos, digital pianos are commodities; the brand and model matter, but the serial number does not. I suggest you expand your search area keeping in mind that a higher delivery charge from a distant dealer can negate a lower price.
Posted By: realdrm Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 08/28/06 02:14 PM
Thanks for your thoughts all. My story has a happy if bizarre ending: I bought a new CLP-230 for $1500 !! If anyone is in the New York/New England area and wants the name of the dealer, feel free to contact me.

Here's the full story.

I called around to three out-of-state dealers. One was the Virginia dealer who was previously reported to have given the $1750 price. They no longer ship, had no CLP-230's and "were having problems with [their] Yamaha franchise agreement". Offered me a CLP-240 for $2000.

A second out-of-state dealer gave the usual "can't quote prices on the phone" reply.

The third dealer said he had CLP-230's in stock and would give me a really sweet price -- sell me one for $1500, extra if I wanted delivery. I was floored. After checking that it was new-in-box, full warranty and confirming the model number, I gave him a deposit there on the phone. Drove 90 minutes that evening, paid the balance and took it home. We put it together and it sounds and plays great.

I still don't know what the catch is. The tag on the floor model said "MSRP $2595, discount $1945". But my price was $500 lower still. The store has been in business for several decades, they are large and have an extensive web site, Yamaha corporate listed them as an authorized dealer, they even have posters around the shop warning buyers against "grey market" products. Store looke d a bit run-down, but fully legit.

My best guess of what's going on is simply that they are in a down-in-the-mouth area, and must be somewhat desparate for sales this month. While I'm happy to get my new piano at 40% off MSRP, I'm doubly irritated at the Yamaha pricing system.
Posted By: signa Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 08/28/06 02:37 PM
it sounds like an unbelievable deal, congratulations!
Posted By: cicibambi Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 09/02/06 12:50 AM
I'd like to buy a yamaha clp230 too. Could you give me the information about the dealer?
Posted By: rama Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 03/15/07 02:30 PM
Hi realdrm,

Realize its 6 months later, but could you give me the dealer info. For that kind of price, its worth a 6-month-old long shot

Thanks
- Sreeram
Posted By: plsclr06 Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 04/03/07 02:17 AM
Hi Realdrm,

I am trying gather pricing info about the CLP230. Could you please provide the dealer info?

Thank You,

plsclr
Posted By: franman Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 05/03/07 12:48 PM
Realdrm,

I am also looking to buy the Yamaha CLP230 and I'm in Massachusetts. I'd love to know the name of the dealer if you (or if anyone else that knows) can send me a private message.

Thanks.
Posted By: realdrm Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 05/03/07 12:52 PM
A lot of people have asked me for the dealer information. I don't really remember why I was reluctant to post it at the time. Anyway, I got my CLP-230 at Luca Music in Providence, RI (www.lucamusic.com). The salesman's name was Steve.

Good luck -- your price may vary.

Realdrm
Posted By: franman Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 05/15/07 11:39 PM
Realdrm,

Thanks for the info. I did indeed find Luca had good prices but I eventually got a great deal closer to home. My conclusion is that CLP-230's can now be had from registered dealers for about $1700. I in fact talked myself up to a CLP-240 which I was able to negotiate down to $2000. I suspect (just a guess) that new models may be on the way and so pricing is more flexible than it was.

Thanks again,
franman
Posted By: Sheumack Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 05/16/07 02:46 AM
I don't think that there are new CLP models on the horizon for a while, but the CVP400 series is about the come out, and possibly more importantly, both Roland and Kawai have lauched updates to their digital piano series which compete directly with the entire CLP-200 line.

Approximately:
Yamaha CLP-220 == Roland HP201 == Kawai CN-x1
Yamaha CLP-230/40 == Roland HP203 == Kawai CA-51
Yamaha CLP-270 == Roland HP204 == Kawai CA-71
Yamaha CLP-280 == Roland HP207 == Kawai CA-91

Obviously these aren't exact equivalents, and the various brands differ in touch, polyphony, sound, #tones, #speakers etc etc.

Matt
Posted By: Johan B Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 05/16/07 01:55 PM
This are the prices in the Netherlands (Europe)

Yamaha - Clp220 PE (nieuw)
Digitale Piano IN DIVERSE KLEUREN LEVERBAAR Dit is de nieuwe versie in zwart hoogglans met een mooie sierlijke afdekrand. * ...
Van: € 1256.00
Voor: € 1069.00

Yamaha - CLP 230
vernieuwde piano sample .
Van: € 1.699,-
Voor: € 1.399,-

Greetings,

Johan B
Posted By: Joy Spring Re: Yamaha CLP-230 pricing - 05/16/07 02:38 PM
Price in italy:

CLP-230 Euro 1,200

Click!