Piano World Home Page
Posted By: C#minor A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 05:50 AM
Hi...Knowing that both Yamaha PF-500 and P-250 are very similar from the inside, I always wondered if one could use the 3-pedal unit supplied with the PF-500 with the P-250. I e-mailed Yamaha customer support and I got the reply today saying it is NOT possible!!! It was kind of an unexpected answer.
So, if this is really the case, do you have any suggestions for a good 3-pedal piano syle unit that could do the trick for the P-250?
The only one I found (made by Quicklok I think) only has two jacks instead of 3. Check it out here: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VFP310/
So, could it be used with the P-250? Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
Posted By: Rodney Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 02:47 PM
I think you can also use the Studiologic Fatar pedals:

http://www.studiologic.net/footpedals.html

You'll need to check the polarity of the Yamaha input.

Rodney
Posted By: C#minor Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 03:35 PM
Thanks Rodney, but how do you connect it to the P-250? It only has 2 jacks at the end, one stereo and one mono. The P250 has 3 inputs in the back (sustain, sostenuto, and soft). It's the same thing with the Quicklok I mentioned.

Best.
Posted By: DuCamp Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 04:09 PM
Use a signal splitter connector for the stereo jack.
Posted By: kidblast Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 04:12 PM
the pedal unit for the PF500 has a "din" style connector. Sort of like a pc Mouse or Keyboard.

So for that one to work, it would have to be modified to fit the 1/4" jacks on the P250
Posted By: C#minor Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone. By a signal splitter connector, do you mean like what you buy at Radio Shack? The 1/4" Y-jack connector? or whatever its name is?

Best.
Posted By: DuCamp Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 06:57 PM
No, those don't work because they send either both signals or only the tip signal to both ends of the splitter. You need to get one that separates the tip and ring signals, and you don't find those in regular Radio Shacks... look for a specialized music store that can build one for you. It shouldn't be expensive, though.
Posted By: palley Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/19/05 11:27 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to build an adapter for the PF500 pedal set. Anybody got schematics for both units?
Posted By: palley Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/22/05 01:13 PM
Nobody with any schematics?
Posted By: C#minor Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/23/05 12:11 AM
Dear Phil...I don't know where to look for those. I don't own any of these two pianos...yet, as I am still in the decision phase.
I was thinking if I could use the triple pedal unit with the P-250 it would definitely make it the top choice for me from Yamaha since I will use it also as a midi controller.
I'll try the manuals and get back to you.

Best.
Posted By: C#minor Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/23/05 11:10 AM
I scoured the PF500 manual but there is no information about the wiring of the pins anywhere.
Any idea where these schematics could be found?

Best.
Posted By: Laurens Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/23/05 11:03 PM
c#minor:
Even if you would manage to connect Quiklok's 3 pedal thing to the P250, you would lose the abality to half pedal the sustain pedal. I believe this would really be a shame.

I do have the feeling you could connect the PF500's pedals...
Posted By: C#minor Re: A 3-pedal unit for Yamaha P-250 - 07/24/05 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Laurens:
c#minor:
Even if you would manage to connect Quiklok's 3 pedal thing to the P250, you would lose the abality to half pedal the sustain pedal. I believe this would really be a shame....
I strongly agree, but why is that? Do I need a special damper pedal to make use of the half damper sample?

I do have the feeling you could connect the PF500's pedals...
Could you elaborate more on that. Thanks.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums