Piano World Home Page
Hello fellow pianists taking online lessons:

does anyone use this combination: pianoteq (or any VST) + mic in ableton live (or any DAW) that need to to fed to Zoom so that you can speak / demonstrate to your online teacher in Zoom and Co?

I could get it work using a MacBook + audio interface + Blackhole aggregate device to mix / combine in- / output but on a Windows 10 machine I'm struggling to get it done.

On Windows I'm currently trying with Voicemeeter / VB cable as aggregate devices but still no success.

Thanks in advance for sharing!
No but I tried many setup since the pandemic and the best was with two computers. One windows 10 with zoom, two webcams and an external mic just over my head. A digital piano connect to Macbook via midi + Pianoteq or a VST + iReal, the output of the macbook connect to external monitors. My teacher can hear exactly what I'm hearing and with no latency.
Originally Posted by TonyDIGITAL
Hello fellow pianists taking online lessons:

does anyone use this combination: pianoteq (or any VST) + mic in ableton live (or any DAW) that need to to fed to Zoom so that you can speak / demonstrate to your online teacher in Zoom and Co?

I could get it work using a MacBook + audio interface + Blackhole aggregate device to mix / combine in- / output but on a Windows 10 machine I'm struggling to get it done.

On Windows I'm currently trying with Voicemeeter / VB cable as aggregate devices but still no success.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

FWIW I've had success with using Soundflower* with Ableton Live on Mac without the need for any external devices. You can setup highly customized virtual routings of your audio signals. (*not M1 compatible)

Soundflower was always open source but got abandoned for a while. A company called Rogue Amoeba was supposed to maintain it but didn't. Apparently they offer their own audio routing program called Loopback but I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it. It looks easy to use but isn't free if that's important to you.

On Windows I've used a program called JACK Audio Connection Kit which more or less works the same way as Soundflower.

You can find information about how to set them up on their respective sites. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your advices.
I'll keep trying and report back once I've found any reliable solution(s).
Cheers
Just an update regarding my attempt of getting voice / VST send to Zoom on a Windows 10 computer: I got it working with Voicemeeter Standard and Ableton Live 11 just fine.
Settings is a little different compared to MacOS but basically Voicemeeter functions as an Aggregate device with 8 in- / 8 outputs.
Happy piano learning!
Very good! I tried getting VoiceMeeter working on my PC, and latency was a serious problem.

I have a faster PC now -- I'll try it again . . . it's really useful, if it works.
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I tried getting VoiceMeeter working on my PC, and latency was a serious problem
Are you using an Audio Interface? ASIO of Voicemeeter is linked to ASIO of the interface and make sure you have the same SampleRate set on Voicemeeter and the DAW as well as the same buffer size.
Also make sure to set "Do nothing" under the Windows "Sound"/"Communications" settings otherwise Windows will interfere.
I have Presonus Audiobox iOne / iTwo as well as Tascam US1x2 / US2x2 and all work just fine.
Does your interface have loop back? I had a lot of latency and breakup with software solutions, and it was all solved when I switched to using hardware instead.
You just have pianoteq output to the interface, have the interface loop back pianoteq + mic, and have zoom input and output to the interface.
This way, your teacher hears pianoteq + mic, and you hear the pianoteq + teacher.
The only slight issue I had was the mic may pick up pianoteq via the speakers, so the teacher may hear some “reverb”. This is easily solved by using headphones, or by carefully placing the mic so the null point faces the speakers.
Originally Posted by JoeF
Does your interface have loop back?...
No, unfortunately all of my four interfaces don't have that feature.
Currently the cheapest one with that feature I know of is the Tascam US1x2HR for $120. The Scarlett 4i4 has it also for $240 but has additional output 3/4 for even more flexibility.
Right now the software solution with Voicemeeter on Windows or Blackhole on MacOS seem to be reliable enough for Zoom.
Glad you got it working using just software.

I had the opposite experience. Blackhole, Loopback, all had audio breakup after running for a few minutes. I tried switching between Zoom, FaceTime, different # channels, bit rates, 16/24/32 bits, and nothing worked until I finally routed via a hardware interface. It’s been rock solid ever since, and I got better sound than the built-in DAC as a bonus.

I’m guessing that the reason why I had much different results than you is because I’m running on a very old 2015 MacBook Pro.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums